WSU vs Kansas Newman (Exhibition)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: WSU vs Kansas Newman (Exhibition)

Postby DUBulldog » November 12th, 2010, 11:49 am

Ali wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:
jayball wrote: Should definitely help soften the blow of losing Durley, Blair, and Ellis (if he doesn't redshirt)

Ellis can't redshirt since he played in the exhibition game this week.

Exhibitions don't count. He can still redshirt.

Here's my understanding of the rule when it comes to redshirting and exhibition games. New players can play in an exhibition and still redshirt. Returning players cannot.

But.........none of that matters when it comes to a player redshirting due to injury. In the case of injury, a player can play in up to 25 or 30% (can't remember which) of his team's games and still be granted a redshirt (called a medical hardship in this case). I'm pretty sure those 25-30% of the games must be at the beginning of the season.....e.g. you can't miss the first 30 games, play in the last 5 and still be granted a medical hardship.

Edit: I see that "AndShock" beat me to it while I was still typing out my post.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TheShock » November 12th, 2010, 11:52 am

AndShock wrote:If I see another Ellis can/can't redshirt post one more time on either here or Shockernet, I think I'm going to lose it.

Returning players can't play in an exhibition game and still redshirt. (Unless they end up with a medical redshirt.)

I hear ya' 'And'. :Beer:

'The'
TheShock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Ali » November 12th, 2010, 11:55 am

AndShock wrote:If I see another Ellis can/can't redshirt post one more time on either here or Shockernet, I think I'm going to lose it.

Returning players can't play in an exhibition game and still redshirt. (Unless they end up with a medical redshirt.)

forgive me for not knowing his status, but I assumed it would be a medical redshirt- no?
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby jayball » November 12th, 2010, 12:11 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:
jayball wrote: Should definitely help soften the blow of losing Durley, Blair, and Ellis (if he doesn't redshirt)

Didn't know that, just had heard it was being considered. Do you think it had anything to do with Gabe's back?
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Realhoops » November 12th, 2010, 1:30 pm

Shockerfan13 wrote:
The thing that has been bugging me is everyone is saying GE is averaging something like 12 pts 7 rebs (going off memory, may not be exact numbers) in "THE BIG EAST" which means most feel he should at least put up similar numbers in the Valley. My question was is that truely his numbers against Big East or top Div 1 opponents or is it against the non-conference cupcakes? I'm betting his numbers in conference play weren't anywhere near as good as his overall average. And looking at this it seems he didn't even make it to conference play before he got injured his sophmore season. So therefore, he didn't even make it to big east play in his 2nd year at Rutgers.

Echinique's conference stats, as a freshman:

Started 17 of 18 games.
Averaged 27.5 minutes per game.
.444 from the field.
.742 from the line.
Averaged 7.8 rebounds.
44 blocked shots (2.5 per game).
Averaged 7.9 points.

So, as a freshman, he averaged right about 8 and 8 in conference play against the Big East's "bigs."
As a freshman, for the entire season, he averaged right around 8.5 and 8.5. His stats were pretty constant, regardless of conference or non-conference opponents.

http://www.scarletknights.com/basketball-men/stats/2008/teamcume.htm
Realhoops
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby jayball » November 12th, 2010, 1:47 pm

I guess we have to assume that was an honest mistake on Aargh's part.
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Snaggletooth » November 12th, 2010, 5:50 pm

Ali wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:

Exhibitions don't count. He can still redshirt.

Your wrong. But what is new. He cannot red shirt.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » November 12th, 2010, 5:53 pm

jayball wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:

Didn't know that, just had heard it was being considered. Do you think it had anything to do with Gabe's back?

Blair stress fracture in his back, Hamilton bone bruise (that has stopped him from practicing) and then finding out that Carl Hall wasn't really committed to VCU probably all played a factor.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » November 12th, 2010, 11:52 pm

I apologize for turning this into a thread about Echinique, but that's what happened.

I thought he was a So this season. That would have made him a Fr at Rutgers in 2009-10, but evidently he played in 2008-09 too.

That would make him a Jr this year.

Basketball eligibility doesn't work by semester - that's my understanding. If you play in either semester, you use up a year of eligibility. Did he get a RS year in 2009-10? That would make him a So - even though he played 7 games.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 45otseoj » November 13th, 2010, 8:36 am

DUBulldog wrote:I don't want to get into the whole Echinique (sp?) vs Orukpe thing, but one thing just hit me.

Both of those guys are sophomores, as are Teague (SIU), Koch (UNI) and Van Deest (DU). I can't remember any time recently when the MVC has has this many good, young big guys.

Don't want to crash the EO vs GE party, but Jackie Carmichael is a sophomore as well.
IlStU
45otseoj
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball