WSU vs Kansas Newman (Exhibition)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: WSU vs Kansas Newman (Exhibition)

Postby RoyalShock » November 11th, 2010, 1:58 pm

DUBulldog wrote:I haven't seen Orukpe, so I can't really comment about his game, or his potential. My question to you.....if his potential is as sky-high as you seem to think, why wasn't he more highly recruited? Big guys, especially big guys with athletic ability, no matter how raw they are, tend to get over-recruited based on potential rather than under-recruited.

From his official profile on the WSU website:

Orukpe, who originally signed with Liberty, was also recruited by Auburn, Western Kentucky, Illinois State and Winthrop…

Those are some decent programs, but not exactly powerhouses. If these schools were aware of him, I'm guessing other schools were as well.

I hope he turns out well for you guys.

Here is the Orukpe recruiting saga in a nutshell . . .

Dominic Okon (Nigeria native) was an assistant at Liberty. Liberty signed Orukpe (who was still in Nigeria and a relative unknown) like 4 years go. At the end of that season Liberty's coach was let go (same year Marshall was hired). Marshall hired Okon, Liberty let Orukpe out of his LOI. WSU recruited him and got his verbal and subsequent LOI.

Nigeria would not release his test scores after numerous diplomatic attempts. We finally get him in the states but the NCAA will not clear him without the scores. He goes to Three Rivers CC with the understanding he's to redshirt, then play one year, get his degree and come to WSU as a sophomore.

During his stint at TRCC (who was the NJCAA championship runner-up last year) Orukpe remained committed to WSU. There were other schools inquiring and as I understand it, even KU sent an assistant there to gauge interest. But everyone knew EO was committed to WSU so those inquiries and personal visits went nowhere. Now, 3.5 years after he first verballed to the Shocks, he's finally in uniform.

The thing to remember when WSU fans talk of EO's NBA prospects it is contingent upon him fulfilling his offensive potential, which is still very raw and has a ways to go. He's come a long way just since last year and if his curve continues to be steep, could be that NBA-caliber player in three years.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby scottieb » November 11th, 2010, 3:36 pm

GE and EO are both Sophomores, right? Should be pretty easy to compare them for the next three years and see who is better.
scottieb
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby WSUbballer » November 11th, 2010, 3:41 pm

scottieb wrote:GE and EO are both Sophomores, right? Should be pretty easy to compare them for the next three years and see who is better.

Yeah, except Gregory has one full year of D-1 experience under his belt. A bit of a difference I'd say.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby scottieb » November 11th, 2010, 3:52 pm

WSUbballer wrote:
scottieb wrote:GE and EO are both Sophomores, right? Should be pretty easy to compare them for the next three years and see who is better.

Yeah, except Gregory has one full year of D-1 experience under his belt. A bit of a difference I'd say.

So he's at a disadvantage, but will be better eventually? At what point will EO be better than GE? Before or after the NBA lottery?
scottieb
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby WSUbballer » November 11th, 2010, 4:07 pm

scottieb wrote:
WSUbballer wrote:

So he's at a disadvantage, but will be better eventually? At what point will EO be better than GE? Before or after the NBA lottery?

I dunno if he'll be better eventually. You made the assumption that both are comparable because both are on equal footing being sophomores. I corrected your error by stating that Gregory has had the advantage of playing one more year of Division I basketball.

I don't think EO can attain the level at which Gregory has already asserted in this conference. Gregory played at Rutgers University. He has already "won" with that in his back pocket.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby scottieb » November 11th, 2010, 4:18 pm

Based on what you stated:

GE > EO in 2010-11

What about the following two years?
scottieb
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby DoubleJayAlum » November 11th, 2010, 4:24 pm

WSUbballer wrote:

Don't you get it scottie? WSU fans poo-poo GE's Big East numbers and say they don't prove anything. However, when comparing GE against EO, suddenly his experience is a very important factor. :Bam:

I don't know why a future lottery pick has to worry about the fact that GE has a year of D1 experience. After all, most of the lottery picks last year were true frosh that beat out much more experienced players for those lottery spots.

Personally, I have no idea whether EO has NBA caliber talent or not. I just think that it is quite a stretch to say that, after one whole exhibition against a D2 team, that not only is he NBA caliber talent, but a lottery pick no less. And no Baller, this isn't just Creighton fans picking on WSU fans. I just haven't read any other fan declare that, after one lone exhibition, they have an NBA lottery player on their roster. If someone else has said that, than my comments should be applied to them as well.

One thing is for certain -- WSU should win the league this year by at least 5 or 6 games. After all, they have an "NBA prospect" in Stutz and a future lottery pick in EO. The only amazing thing is that they aren't in the preseason top 10 with all that talent. Obviously, playing in the Valley against schools like Evansville is keeping the pollsters from giving WSU the respect they deserve.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby scottieb » November 11th, 2010, 4:30 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote: And no Baller, this isn't just Creighton fans picking on WSU fans.

Don't include me with ya'll DJA. Not a CU fan here.
scottieb
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby WSUbballer » November 11th, 2010, 4:33 pm

scottieb wrote:Based on what you stated:

GE > EO in 2010-11

What about the following two years?

Well, considering GE is option #1A for CU and EO is option #5 at the post positions, I'd say you're pretty safe with that assumption.

Looks like Creighton fans can act like Shocker fans also. And I thought they were above us. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUbballer » November 11th, 2010, 4:43 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
WSUbballer wrote:

Don't you get it scottie? WSU fans poo-poo GE's Big East numbers and say they don't prove anything. However, when comparing GE against EO, suddenly his experience is a very important factor. :Bam:

I don't know why a future lottery pick has to worry about the fact that GE has a year of D1 experience. After all, most of the lottery picks last year were true frosh that beat out much more experienced players for those lottery spots.

Personally, I have no idea whether EO has NBA caliber talent or not. I just think that it is quite a stretch to say that, after one whole exhibition against a D2 team, that not only is he NBA caliber talent, but a lottery pick no less. And no Baller, this isn't just Creighton fans picking on WSU fans. I just haven't read any other fan declare that, after one lone exhibition, they have an NBA lottery player on their roster. If someone else has said that, than my comments should be applied to them as well.

One thing is for certain -- WSU should win the league this year by at least 5 or 6 games. After all, they have an "NBA prospect" in Stutz and a future lottery pick in EO. The only amazing thing is that they aren't in the preseason top 10 with all that talent. Obviously, playing in the Valley against schools like Evansville is keeping the pollsters from giving WSU the respect they deserve.

Why do you only get your panties in a wad over WSU fans and everything WSU? Aren't you and your program above that? It's not a rivalry afterall. Stop trying to make it one.

Gregory was able to pad his stats at Rutgers but make no mistake about it, he was still playing in Division I basketball games. You're an idiot if you think playing a full extra year of Division I basketball is not gaining a huge advantage over a guy who is playing his first year at that level. Surely, you aren't that stupid, DJA? Although you have said much worse, so it would be an improvement.

Why the hell are you giving me the NBA lottery talk? I'm not the one who called EO a lottery pick. Why don't you bring that up with the poster who made the remark instead of acting like I said it? Basically, reread the posts again before you go on your anti-WSU keyboard assaulting spree and forget exactly who is saying what. I don't like getting grouped into things that I DID NOT say. That's one of your biggest problems and why so many people say bad things behind your back. You get on one of your patented anti-WSU rolls and just begin grouping everybody with everything. VERY annoying and VERY amateurish for a guy in the legal field.

Who has said that Stutz is an NBA prospect? Where are you getting this stuff from? In your nightly dreams about WSU posters? Seriously, it's becoming a problem understanding what stuff is actually said here and what stuff you're pulling out of your bloated hole. WSU winning the league by 5 or 6 games? Wanna put some money on it?

You need to worry about your team a little more. I noticed you were pretty absent after your opening exhibition game. From what I've read, the mighty Creighton Gods didn't look all too convincing in their win. That will change though when Gregory Outta New Brunswick comes in and sets the bar.
Last edited by WSUbballer on November 11th, 2010, 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball