WSU vs Kansas Newman (Exhibition)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Snaggletooth » November 10th, 2010, 9:52 pm

WSU Shockers defeated Newman by 80-62.

MVC League office issued a warning to WSU after the game and has put them on probation for trailing a Non-Div I team. WSU trailed early in this game like 8-4. If this happens again they will be forced to add Pee-Wee football.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: WSU vs Kansas Newman (Exhibition)

Postby valleychamp » November 10th, 2010, 10:03 pm

UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Tom Servo » November 10th, 2010, 10:26 pm

valleychamp wrote:Image

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Go Aces!
Tom Servo
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby iSASO » November 10th, 2010, 10:32 pm

That, my friends was your 9th place MVC team.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby GarH » November 10th, 2010, 11:47 pm

Ehimen Orukpe had 11 boards in 16 minutes.
GarH
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Aargh » November 11th, 2010, 12:15 am

Not much to take from an exhibition, but that's never stopped me before.

Really sloppy first half. Then WSU settled down in the second half.

Joe Ragland (PG) and Ben Smith (SF) both showed why teams should never count on first-year JuCos - in the first half. They had solid second halves.

Demetric Williams sat out the first half for being late for something last spring. It looked like he got the starting PG spot from watching Ragland the first half. Williams started the second half and got 3 fouls in 2 minutes and 18 seconds. So much for winning the PG start by default.

Orukpe is progressing faster than the coaches expected and faster than most fans could have hoped for. 11 boards in 16 minutes and it was nearly humorous to watch players trying to take it to the hoop against him. It was something like 1/6 against Orukpe from 5' or closer. He's looking like he will be able to contribute this year, which is a bit of a surprise. He's miles ahead of where he was a year ago. It's looking like WSU will get two good years out of him (2011 and 2012). If he can keep progressing at the rate he has since getting to WSU, he has the capability to absolutely terrorize opponents next year. He'll probably never get his offensive game going during his time at WSU. He's got the potential to be a lottery pick. It all depends on his continued progress. He's the most athletic "really big guy" I've seen in following Valley games for 40+ years.

Marshall ran some bizarre combinations. I only counted 3 minutes in the first half where there was a combination on the court that would ever happen unless there were major foul problems or injuries. If there were 3 of the top 8 on the court at one time, there was always a 3rd option at another spot.

Four different players got minutes at PG. Stutz got some minutes at PF - which brings up ...

...Stutz, Orukpe, and Ben Smith played together several times - maybe a total of 7 or 8 minutes. That looks like next years front court. Smith is quick and strong going to the basket and can shoot 3's (40%+ in JuCo). He's a "hustle" player sort of like Hatch, but much quicker and more athletic than Hatch. He's probably got a vertical easily above 40". Give Smith and Orukpe a year and that front court could be better than WSU has this year - but without the depth WSU has this year.

I'm still referring to Garrett Stutz as "Mr. Stutz". He's going to earn that level of respect this year. I believe he's a solid and legitimate candidate for PoY. I think he's capable of putting up the numbers that would support that rather than getting it by being the "best choice" from the league winner. He could have had 30 tonight, but scoring easy or automatic buckets wasn't the focus of this game.

Durley didn't start, reportedly because of not going all out in practice, which has been a problem for him his entire career. Durley's game was less than expected. Aaron Ellis got the start and had a better game than would be expected.

Gabe Blair (Sr. PF - MVC All-Bench team) didn't play because of a fractured vertebrae. He's expected to be ready for regular season games. A hurting back can limit a player's effectiveness, so WSU fans might want to consider lowering expectations of Blair this year. Jerome Hamilton (RS Fr PF - 3rd option) didn't play because of a bone bruise. He basically hasn't practiced at all this year. RS last year and no practices this year - he's certain to be getting some major rust buildup and falling behind in progress.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ali » November 11th, 2010, 7:29 am

He's got the potential to be a lottery pick. It all depends on his continued progress. He's the most athletic "really big guy" I've seen in following Valley games for 40+ years.

All I can say is WOW.

:Shaggy: :Bam: :bs:
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » November 11th, 2010, 8:05 am

I think we need a smilie that looks like a crack pipe.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » November 11th, 2010, 9:13 am

He-he-he. They don't believe me.

I hope these non-believers go to their teams home games the next couple of years. Orukpe is at 254 lbs. now. I expect he'll be at 270 by his Sr year. Please name the last 7'0", 270 lb. sky walker who could run with guards that played in the Valley. Please.

If Orukpe had a complete game (offense, handling hard passes need work) he'd be a one-and-done lottery pick. He's just now starting to figure out where to position himself to get rebounds and learning how to box out. He didn't have much of that last year. His shooting range is 3' and in, so he'll probably get 3 years at WSU.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jayball » November 11th, 2010, 9:21 am

Well, if he develops like Dinma Odiokosa with an extra 4 inches I think he has a pretty good shot at an NBA roster.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing him and Stutz this year. That could be quite the 1-2 punch if Orupke is as advertised.
Last edited by jayball on November 11th, 2010, 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball