WSU vs Kansas Newman (Exhibition)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: WSU vs Kansas Newman (Exhibition)

Postby Shockerfan13 » November 11th, 2010, 7:41 pm

Here is an honest question about GE. What were his TRUE NUMBERS IN BIG EAST CONFERENCE PLAY? Sure he put up great numbers against some patsy non-conference teams. I'm just curious what his conference stats were like. I truely don't know and maybe he was absolutely dominating....I really am curious though. Does anyone know? I'll try and figure it out later. I'm assuming the stats that have been given up to now included games against the non-conference "fluff"?
Shockerfan13
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Aargh » November 11th, 2010, 8:27 pm

Shockerfan13 wrote:Here is an honest question about GE. What were his TRUE NUMBERS IN BIG EAST CONFERENCE PLAY? Sure he put up great numbers against some patsy non-conference teams. I'm just curious what his conference stats were like. I truely don't know and maybe he was absolutely dominating....I really am curious though. Does anyone know? I'll try and figure it out later. I'm assuming the stats that have been given up to now included games against the non-conference "fluff"?

Here's Echinique's game stats and the RPI of the opponent

Marist (332) - 13 Pts. - 10 boards
Drexel (147) - 16 Pts. - 14 boards
Vermont (132) - 9 pts. - 5 boards
UMass (163) - 10 pts, - 4 boards
Florida (45) - 0 pts - 2 boards
Princeton (106) - 21 pts. - 11 boards
Colgate (277) - 19 pts. - 8 boards

Orukpe, in his second year of organized basketball, isn't anywhere near able to put up those types of numbers.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Shockerfan13 » November 11th, 2010, 8:50 pm

Aargh wrote:
Shockerfan13 wrote:Here is an honest question about GE. What were his TRUE NUMBERS IN BIG EAST CONFERENCE PLAY? Sure he put up great numbers against some patsy non-conference teams. I'm just curious what his conference stats were like. I truely don't know and maybe he was absolutely dominating....I really am curious though. Does anyone know? I'll try and figure it out later. I'm assuming the stats that have been given up to now included games against the non-conference "fluff"?

Here's Echinique's game stats and the RPI of the opponent

Marist (332) - 13 Pts. - 10 boards
Drexel (147) - 16 Pts. - 14 boards
Vermont (132) - 9 pts. - 5 boards
UMass (163) - 10 pts, - 4 boards
Florida (45) - 0 pts - 2 boards
Princeton (106) - 21 pts. - 11 boards
Colgate (277) - 19 pts. - 8 boards

Orukpe, in his second year of organized basketball, isn't anywhere near able to put up those types of numbers.

I agree. GE will most certainly put up better stats than Ehimen this year.

The thing that has been bugging me is everyone is saying GE is averaging something like 12 pts 7 rebs (going off memory, may not be exact numbers) in "THE BIG EAST" which means most feel he should at least put up similar numbers in the Valley. My question was is that truely his numbers against Big East or top Div 1 opponents or is it against the non-conference cupcakes? I'm betting his numbers in conference play weren't anywhere near as good as his overall average. And looking at this it seems he didn't even make it to conference play before he got injured his sophmore season. So therefore, he didn't even make it to big east play in his 2nd year at Rutgers.

With that said, I do think GE will be a big asset to Creighton this year as they needed another good big man. I think he could be one of the more solid big men in the conference which is what they need next to Lawson. So it's a good addition. I personally think Stutz will have better numbers, but being a more experienced big man in the Valley...he should have better numbers IMHO. Orukpe won't come close to 12/7 in conference play this year. I do feel he will rebound and defend pretty well, but how many minutes will he be able to play is the question. I think that SOME Creighton fans have gone overboard with trying to predict how his play "in the big east..." will translate to the Valley. Just as SOME WSU fans have done the same with Orukpe. Although, almost every Shocker fan I've seen has said they don't expect Orukpe to put up big numbers this year. They are just excited about his POTENTIAL for the future.
Shockerfan13
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shockalot » November 11th, 2010, 9:54 pm

DUBulldog wrote:I don't want to get into the whole Echinique (sp?) vs Orukpe thing, but one thing just hit me.

Both of those guys are sophomores, as are Teague (SIU), Koch (UNI) and Van Deest (DU). I can't remember any time recently when the MVC has has this many good, young big guys.

Agreed. This is looking like the era of the big man in the Valley. This bodes well for all of these teams and players as well as the league, not only should it allow more of our conference teams to match up better with many BCS schools, it should also help each player and team with the higher in-conference competitive level.
I'm looking forward to some great big-time basketball round here for the foreseeable future.
shockalot
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby iSASO » November 11th, 2010, 10:49 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:One thing is for certain -- WSU should win the league this year by at least 5 or 6 games.

How about this, Mr. Big Shot? $500 says that WSU won't win the conference by 5 or 6 games?
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ixiah » November 11th, 2010, 11:25 pm

DUBulldog wrote:I don't want to get into the whole Echinique (sp?) vs Orukpe thing, but one thing just hit me.

Both of those guys are sophomores, as are Teague (SIU), Koch (UNI) and Van Deest (DU). I can't remember any time recently when the MVC has has this many good, young big guys.

WSU had a bit of a surprise signing today in Carl Hall (18.6 ppg and 11.3 rpg as a JUCO freshman last year) which will be in the same class.

http://www.kansas.com/2010/11/11/158486 ... llege.html
Ixiah
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Aargh » November 12th, 2010, 12:10 am

Hall is a 6'8" PF I think I saw that he's 225. From pics I've seen, that might be light.

In the JC National Championship tourney last year, Hall averaged 24 and 11. He's at 17.3 and 7 so far this year. He transferred JuCo's this year. He's on the #5 rated JuCo in the nation and isn't the #1 rebounding option on that team, which has 3 players averaging 6 or more boards.

Marshall is already experimenting with both Stutz and Orukpe in the lineup. With the addition of Hall and Jake White (6'8" Fr that scouting services compare to the Kochs at UNI and WSU coaches think could contribute as a Fr) it looks like the PF situation next year is shaping up.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Little Eddie » November 12th, 2010, 8:20 am

I think Stutz and OE, due to sheer size, will end up w/ more serious NBA looks than GE after all is said and done. GE would have to be a power forward in the NBA...not saying he wouldn't be able to do this but he'd have to develop a mid range jumper. GE reminds me a little of a guy that I watched play at Wyoming when I went to school there...Reggie Slater...he played in the NBA for a few years...or maybe like a Robert Tractor Traylor-type player. So there's potential for all 3 to get serious looks.

Like DUbulldog said...it'll be fun to see how these big guys develop in the Valley the next few years. I really think the addition of all these bigs (combined w/ the already solid guard play) will get the Valley back to where it was a few years ago when we sent multiple teams to the dance.

:wave:
Little Eddie
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby jayball » November 12th, 2010, 9:57 am

Aargh wrote:Hall is a 6'8" PF I think I saw that he's 225. From pics I've seen, that might be light.

In the JC National Championship tourney last year, Hall averaged 24 and 11. He's at 17.3 and 7 so far this year. He transferred JuCo's this year. He's on the #5 rated JuCo in the nation and isn't the #1 rebounding option on that team, which has 3 players averaging 6 or more boards.

Marshall is already experimenting with both Stutz and Orukpe in the lineup. With the addition of Hall and Jake White (6'8" Fr that scouting services compare to the Kochs at UNI and WSU coaches think could contribute as a Fr) it looks like the PF situation next year is shaping up.

Should definitely help soften the blow of losing Durley, Blair, and Ellis (if he doesn't redshirt)
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Snaggletooth » November 12th, 2010, 11:41 am

jayball wrote: Should definitely help soften the blow of losing Durley, Blair, and Ellis (if he doesn't redshirt)

Ellis can't redshirt since he played in the exhibition game this week.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball