Northeastern at So. Illinois - 9am

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Northeastern at So. Illinois - 9am

Postby TylerDurden » November 16th, 2010, 11:52 am

In Lowery's defense, he could be heard saying that they told the players that they didn't have any timeouts.

Not sure that helps, but it was clearly heard on ESPN3.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Games in the Valley - 11/16/2010

Postby bigdawg » November 16th, 2010, 11:53 am

Where was the crew from? Sounds like Valley refs.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » November 16th, 2010, 12:09 pm

I can't help but wonder if a fan yelled it and the refs thought it was a player....
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bigdawg » November 16th, 2010, 12:23 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:I can't help but wonder if a fan yelled it and the refs thought it was a player....

If a ref's rabbit ears cost a game, that is beyond BS.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aargh » November 16th, 2010, 12:38 pm

That would seem to be a correctable call.

Rule it an inadvertent whistle and award SIU the ball. That would be really easy under the circumstances. The official must have been pretty convinced that a TO was called. Either that or he was tired after possibly officiating a game last night and another this morning and just wanted the game to be over.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » November 16th, 2010, 12:55 pm

MVCfans wrote:Figured I would start a thread for the game as it tips in 2 hrs. On ESPN. Hopefully the Salukis play well and the MVC comes out with a win

Dawgs 61-60.

Good call....wasn't it 60-60 at the end of regulation?
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby unipanther99 » November 16th, 2010, 1:06 pm

Aargh wrote:That would seem to be a correctable call.

Rule it an inadvertent whistle and award SIU the ball. That would be really easy under the circumstances. The official must have been pretty convinced that a TO was called. Either that or he was tired after possibly officiating a game last night and another this morning and just wanted the game to be over.

Agreed, I don't know the specific rule in college, but in high school the time-out must be credited to someone, either the head coach or a specific player, and recorded as such in the score book.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby TylerDurden » November 16th, 2010, 1:08 pm

Aargh wrote:That would seem to be a correctable call.

I don't disagree.

They would look pretty bad if they said it was inadvertent after they signaled the timeout like they did, which may have had an impact.

I agree with you that they were pretty convinced that a TO was called...but the replay didn't confirm it, from what I saw/heard.

Either way, SIU only scored two points in OT and looked like they had never seen a zone. Both of those things were big factors in this game.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SubGod22 » November 16th, 2010, 1:16 pm

In situations like that I either look at the coach to see if he wants one or I'm standing right in front of him so I know. I never grant one without knowing who it comes from. Especially late in a game. As far as reporting who called it, that may technically be the rule in HS but it's rarely reported/recorded around here. But I have had coaches ask me who called it when they didn't want one and made sure I had the number in my head.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby unipanther99 » November 16th, 2010, 1:33 pm

SubGod22 wrote:In situations like that I either look at the coach to see if he wants one or I'm standing right in front of him so I know. I never grant one without knowing who it comes from. Especially late in a game. As far as reporting who called it, that may technically be the rule in HS but it's rarely reported/recorded around here. But I have had coaches ask me who called it when they didn't want one and made sure I had the number in my head.

In Iowa, they do emphasize recording the time-out caller in high school. 90% of the time it's the coach anyway. But yeah, it's always a good idea as an official to make sure you see the time out called, not just hear it.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball