Missouri Valley's Sophomore Centers

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Wufan » November 17th, 2010, 10:06 am

Several threads have brought this up, so I thought we could consolidate. The MVC has a ton of sophomore centers that will be fun to watch for the next 3 years. Here's a list:

Creighton: Greg Echenique, 6-9, 270 - Also, freshman doug McDermott looks like a prize PF.

Drake: Seth VanDeest, 6-11, 240 - Also, sophomore PFs Aaron Hawley and Jordan Clark with potential (not to mention Ullenhopf and Simons)

Illinois State: Jackie Carmichael, 6-9, 240

UNI: Jake Kock, 6-9, 255 (still trading on his brother's name) - jury is out on Pehl.

SIU: Gene Teague, 6-9, 290 - Freshman PF Mamadou Seck has had a nice start to his career.

WSU: Ehimen Orukpe, 7-0, 255 - Juco signee Carl Hall could be a big addition to this class.

Taylor Brown (if healthy), Myles Walker, Kyle Weems, Caleb Patterson, and Garrett Stutz will also play in the Valley this year and next.

By my count, there are 6 sophomore centers (6-9 and 240 or bigger) that will have an opportunity to put their stamp on the Valley for the next three years! The days of 6-10 stiffs or 6-6 forwards clogging the paint are over! Suck on that BCS! Enjoy the ride everyone!!!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Missouri Valley's Sophomore Centers

Postby 45otseoj » November 17th, 2010, 11:14 am

Wufan wrote:Freshman PF Mamadou Seck has had a nice start to his career.

Seck is a JuCo transfer.
IlStU
45otseoj
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » November 17th, 2010, 12:09 pm

Thanks! Yahoo has it wrong.

Quite a group of sophomores in the MVC none-the-less. Teague looks to be a beast on the glass if he continues to keep the fouls to a minimum. I look forward to watching him play against Stutz and Orukpe later this season, espescially since his style of play and skill set is so different from the WSU bigs.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby hot nuts » November 17th, 2010, 3:22 pm

Unless the persistent ankle problem contiues to hamper him all season, Carmichael is going to have a fantastical season.
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Little Eddie » November 17th, 2010, 3:56 pm

Wufan wrote:UNI: Jake Kock, 6-9, 255 (still trading on his brother's name) - jury is out on Pehl.

Freud called, he wants his post back...
Little Eddie
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby DoubleJayAlum » November 17th, 2010, 4:02 pm

Sadly, at the same time that all these quality bigs are arriving, it would appear as though the conference lacks a bunch of the high quality guards that this conference has thrived upon in the past. There aren't a lot of Tatums, Funks, Ruffins, Jacobsons, Eldridges, etc. filling up rosters.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » November 17th, 2010, 4:10 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:Sadly, at the same time that all these quality bigs are arriving, it would appear as though the conference lacks a bunch of the high quality guards that this conference has thrived upon in the past. There aren't a lot of Tatums, Funks, Ruffins, Jacobsons, Eldridges, etc. filling up rosters.

I was just getting jacked up about all the big guys is the MVC and then you have to go all Debbie Downer on me.

MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby DoubleJayAlum » November 17th, 2010, 4:33 pm

MVCfans wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:Sadly, at the same time that all these quality bigs are arriving, it would appear as though the conference lacks a bunch of the high quality guards that this conference has thrived upon in the past. There aren't a lot of Tatums, Funks, Ruffins, Jacobsons, Eldridges, etc. filling up rosters.

I was just getting jacked up about all the big guys is the MVC and then you have to go all Debbie Downer on me.

:D

You think that's bad? I'm not even sure there are any Blake Aherns either..... :dance:
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » November 17th, 2010, 5:21 pm

I certainly wouldn't put Demetric Williams (WSU So PG) in that group, but he could be an All-MVC player by his Sr. year. He had an OK year as a Fr PG. Started poorly and improved throughout the season with a good (some might say strong) finish.

This year he had the pressure of being "the guy" instead of the backup and he has heavy practice competition for the spot. So far (through a grand total of one game), it looks like he's pressing and trying to do too much, so he's not likely to be the starter early in the season. I think he'll get over that by the time he's a Sr
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball