One Game (or more) In - Any Changes to your Picks?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby WuDrWu » November 17th, 2010, 10:39 am

Well maybe things haven't started as fast as I had hoped for the Valley, but I feel confident the league will rise to the summit and take the basketball world by storm before it's all over!!! :bounce:

I'm curious after at least 1 game now from every team, if anyone thinks differently about where the teams will end up......have your views changed?

For me and what I have seen (or read etc) here's what I think, in pretty much order:

Missouri State - Seems to be the one team that has taken their talent and experience and really built upon it. Expect them to beat Tennessee tonight and advance even further. My pick for the league at this point.

Creighton - Big Mac and Little Mac are going to be the talk of the town, especially when the other Greg laces them up for real. With KLJ the 2 will be almost unstoppable in the league. MSU's great guard play I think will overcome the BlueJay advantage inside, but they are going to be wars!

WSU - Chemistry is a big concern. There is probably enough size and experience to carry the day more often than not, but I just don't see a big year right now. Disappointing as this was to be the big year, and the next couple of years (at least) are going to be down.

UNI - Post play is going to be a concern and they need some experience, but man do they play hard. Still think a top finish is going to be tough, but watch out for the next couple of years. The Final Four beckons for this team, at least once with the talent they have now in addition to the talent coming in! :Yea!:

DU - The talent is not to be dismissed, and Drake will be more consistent than last year. This is my biggest mover (up at least) so far. I expect big things from the Bulldogs this year.....maybe not quite Adam Emmemmecker big, but who knows?!! :Yea!:

Illinois State - Jank has more talent than many think, and Jackie is a MONSTER but a lack of experience will keep them down, just a shade. A real battle between 3-4-5-6 here. Any order would not shock (no pun intended)! :wave:

Bradley - As much as it hurts, I have to drop the Braves to here. The Brown thing is so tragic...I hope the kid will be ok. It will be hard to overcome that loss of huge talent over 30 games. Some great pieces here, but there may be some tough days ahead with the Braves shorthanded. :duel:

Indiana State - Wow, I didn't see that coming. I expected the Sycamores to roll through the non conference. I hope the slow start doesn't keep the kids down, or worse, hurt the draft position of either Kelly or Lathan. Certainly ISU will win their fair share of games but maybe they are still a year away...or maybe not???!!!! Tough call for the Trees right now!

SIU - Poor kids just can't get out of their own way sometimes. Might be a long year for SIU but they still have a lot of heart and could surprise!

Evansville - Impressive win against OC overshadows earlier frustrations, even though some others will dismiss that game. Make no mistake Oakland City is a formidable program. Someone has to finish last though, but the Aces will still be tough. Probably won't be a lot of separation between 2-10.
THE VALLEY RULES! GO VALLEY!
WuDrWu
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: One Game (or more) In - Any Changes to your Picks?

Postby ictjay » November 17th, 2010, 10:46 am

WuDrWu wrote:Well maybe things haven't started as fast as I had hoped for the Valley, but I feel confident the league will rise to the summit and take the basketball world by storm before it's all over!!! :bounce:

I'm curious after at least 1 game now from every team, if anyone thinks differently about where the teams will end up......have your views changed?

For me and what I have seen (or read etc) here's what I think, in pretty much order:

Missouri State - Seems to be the one team that has taken their talent and experience and really built upon it. Expect them to beat Tennessee tonight and advance even further. My pick for the league at this point.

Creighton - Big Mac and Little Mac are going to be the talk of the town, especially when the other Greg laces them up for real. With KLJ the 2 will be almost unstoppable in the league. MSU's great guard play I think will overcome the BlueJay advantage inside, but they are going to be wars!

WSU - Chemistry is a big concern. There is probably enough size and experience to carry the day more often than not, but I just don't see a big year right now. Disappointing as this was to be the big year, and the next couple of years (at least) are going to be down.

UNI - Post play is going to be a concern and they need some experience, but man do they play hard. Still think a top finish is going to be tough, but watch out for the next couple of years. The Final Four beckons for this team, at least once with the talent they have now in addition to the talent coming in! :Yea!:

DU - The talent is not to be dismissed, and Drake will be more consistent than last year. This is my biggest mover (up at least) so far. I expect big things from the Bulldogs this year.....maybe not quite Adam Emmemmecker big, but who knows?!! :Yea!:

Illinois State - Jank has more talent than many think, and Jackie is a MONSTER but a lack of experience will keep them down, just a shade. A real battle between 3-4-5-6 here. Any order would not shock (no pun intended)! :wave:

Bradley - As much as it hurts, I have to drop the Braves to here. The Brown thing is so tragic...I hope the kid will be ok. It will be hard to overcome that loss of huge talent over 30 games. Some great pieces here, but there may be some tough days ahead with the Braves shorthanded. :duel:

Indiana State - Wow, I didn't see that coming. I expected the Sycamores to roll through the non conference. I hope the slow start doesn't keep the kids down, or worse, hurt the draft position of either Kelly or Lathan. Certainly ISU will win their fair share of games but maybe they are still a year away...or maybe not???!!!! Tough call for the Trees right now!

SIU - Poor kids just can't get out of their own way sometimes. Might be a long year for SIU but they still have a lot of heart and could surprise!

Evansville - Impressive win against OC overshadows earlier frustrations, even though some others will dismiss that game. Make no mistake Oakland City is a formidable program. Someone has to finish last though, but the Aces will still be tough. Probably won't be a lot of separation between 2-10.

Why the dismay with WSU after 1 lopsided win? :huh:
ictjay
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MVCfans » November 17th, 2010, 10:49 am

ictjay wrote:Why the dismay with WSU after 1 lopsided win? :huh:

My sarcasm meter was flickering a bit when reading it. But, I love the analysis.

:Cheers:
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby ictjay » November 17th, 2010, 10:58 am

MVCfans wrote:

My sarcasm meter was flickering a bit when reading it. But, I love the analysis.

:Cheers:

:D
I enjoy Doc's writings. Just wanted him to run with it a little.
ictjay
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby WuDrWu » November 17th, 2010, 2:48 pm

I started the season thinking that WSU's inside game would be the difference over the course of 18 games. It still might, but I don't like the look of the chemistry of this team and I do of some others. I also am not on the "everyone said losing Hannah would be a problem" bandwaggon, as I think Toure' is more than serviceable and Ragland will be fine over time even if DWill struggles.

I just don't see the same chemistry that I've seen with the SIU great teams, or Drake 3 years ago or UNI and I think that's what it takes to be the best.

Plus the Valley is so darned TOUGH!!!! :Cheers:
THE VALLEY RULES! GO VALLEY!
WuDrWu
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Little Eddie » November 17th, 2010, 3:00 pm

After watching CU's first few games I'm a little worried...even after Greg comes it will likely take some time to adjust. If the opposition shuts down Antoine Young, Baby Mac and KLaw then who scores?? I'm not convinced that Runnels is the answer after one big game.

Indy St is indeed perplexing...I didn't see that coming either. And that was supposedly the easiest part of their schedule...that can't bode well in my opinion but I'm still optimistic.
Little Eddie
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby ictjay » November 17th, 2010, 3:14 pm

WuDrWu wrote:

I started the season thinking that WSU's inside game would be the difference over the course of 18 games. It still might, but I don't like the look of the chemistry of this team and I do of some others. I also am not on the "everyone said losing Hannah would be a problem" bandwaggon, as I think Toure' is more than serviceable and Ragland will be fine over time even if DWill struggles.

I just don't see the same chemistry that I've seen with the SIU great teams, or Drake 3 years ago or UNI and I think that's what it takes to be the best.

Plus the Valley is so darned TOUGH!!!! :Cheers:

Chemistry is BIG. It was Creightons downfall last year imho.
ictjay
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby hot nuts » November 17th, 2010, 3:20 pm

I see no reason to sway from my belief that MSU wins the conference. UNI may still be working on filling in the gaps from left by graduation, but I thought they've really played well as a team early on. Bradley might actually be worse than I once thought, that team has zero inside game. Really have to wait and see on their rivals up the road...I think they are in for a real roller coaster ride. Roller coasters are fun, right?
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » November 17th, 2010, 3:56 pm

Little Eddie wrote:After watching CU's first few games I'm a little worried...even after Greg comes it will likely take some time to adjust. If the opposition shuts down Antoine Young, Baby Mac and KLaw then who scores?? I'm not convinced that Runnels is the answer after one big game.

I can totally see that concern. I've said on this board that our wings are probably the least talented group in at least the last 15 years. Unless one of them becomes a breakout scorer, there are certainly issues.

Bradley is the obvious one to cite here. The injury to their best player has to have an impact.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » November 17th, 2010, 5:37 pm

Doc, those meds to mellow you out are really working. But, please, check the label. I believe it will say "take 1 every 4 hours", and not "take 4 every 1 hour".
I wasn't expecting SIU to have to resort to illegal tmeouts in order to lose games, so maybe they move up a bit. InSU looks like the prime candidate to take their place at 9th.

If there is any non-MVC team that plays more than one Valley opponent, UE might be 11th in total Valley W's.

I'm leaving the top end as
1. WSU
2. MSU
3. CU
4. UNI
5. BU

Even with BU losing a player, I'd have to pick IlSU or DU to move ahead of them. Maybe DU can do it, but I'm going to have to see more than has been played so far to go with DU over BU.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball