Why the sky is falling attitude

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Aces1982 » November 20th, 2010, 2:35 pm

Because Ind St has 3 losses? Because UNI lost to syracuse? Because MSU list at Tennessee? Because drake lost to Iowa St? Out of all those games which ones did people really think the MVC were going to win? Maybe the Ind St games. And maybe the MSU-Tulsa game. Other then that??

Ind St and SIU will be at the bottom of conference. I am pretty sure when MVC had multiple bids the MVC had bad teams just like they have bad teams this year.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Why the sky is falling attitude

Postby AndShock » November 20th, 2010, 2:47 pm

Who are the good teams?
Wichita State (hasn't done anything)
Missouri State (lost to Tenn and Tulsa)
Creighton?

The only marks the conference has so far this year are bad ones. One good thing hasn't happened yet.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » November 20th, 2010, 2:57 pm

Aces1982 wrote:Because Ind St has 3 losses? Because UNI lost to syracuse? Because MSU list at Tennessee? Because drake lost to Iowa St? Out of all those games which ones did people really think the MVC were going to win? Maybe the Ind St games. And maybe the MSU-Tulsa game. Other then that??

Ind St and SIU will be at the bottom of conference. I am pretty sure when MVC had multiple bids the MVC had bad teams just like they have bad teams this year.

The 2006-07 season, even the dregs of the conference had decent non-conference seasons and semi-decent RPI's.

ISU(Blue) who finished last in the MVC was 9-2 in non-conference play with a win over Indiana and Butler. If the MVC want to have a shot at multiple bids, they need all the team to hold their own and the conference needs some good quality wins. To this point not only is there no quality wins, but MVC teams are losing to opponents from conferences we think we are better than.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aces1982 » November 20th, 2010, 3:16 pm

AndShock wrote:Who are the good teams?
Creighton?

The only marks the conference has so far this year are bad ones. One good thing hasn't happened yet.

Prior to the start of the year, who did you think had shot at NCAA outside of MSU and WSU? MSU chances are not done because of two losses.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aces1982 » November 20th, 2010, 3:24 pm

Conferences do not get bids. Teams do. Your team has to win games, period. It can't worry about other teams in the conference. They have no control over that. I would be willing to say if MSU went 16-2 and WSU goes 16-2 in conference they will both be in line for a bid. So to be talking doom and gloom 4 games, some teams 2 games, into the season is crazy.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby AndShock » November 20th, 2010, 3:38 pm

Aces1982 wrote:
Creighton?

Prior to the start of the year, who did you think had shot at NCAA outside of MSU and WSU? MSU chances are not done because of two losses.

It's like Snaggletooth said. When the bottom of the conference is good, it's good for the conference. It inflates RPI, SOS and gives the top teams more Top 150, 200 RPI wins. It looks like half the conference is going to end up being above 200 which is absolutely awful and removes any slight hope of a bubble team (Missouri State, maybe even CU) from getting in.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aces1982 » November 20th, 2010, 4:07 pm

AndShock wrote:
Aces1982 wrote:
Creighton?

It's like Snaggletooth said. When the bottom of the conference is good, it's good for the conference. It inflates RPI, SOS and gives the top teams more Top 150, 200 RPI wins. It looks like half the conference is going to end up being above 200 which is absolutely awful and removes any slight hope of a bubble team

(Missouri State, maybe even CU) from getting in.

How good was the bottom teams in the MWC? I don't know and don't want to look it up. But I think some is putting too much stock in the bottom 2 or 3 teams. I do not think they have to win every non conference game. They are the bottom teams and just about every conference bottom teams are not good and do not have big non conference wins.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby AndShock » November 20th, 2010, 4:19 pm

Aces1982 wrote:How good was the bottom teams in the MWC? I don't know and don't want to look it up. But I think some is putting too much stock in the bottom 2 or 3 teams. I do not think they have to win every non conference game. They are the bottom teams and just about every conference bottom teams are not good and do not have big non conference wins.

It's not just the bottom 2 or 3, it's the bottom half, the 3-4th team are equal to the 10th place team in '07
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » November 20th, 2010, 4:22 pm

Aces1982 wrote:Because Ind St has 3 losses? Because UNI lost to syracuse? Because MSU list at Tennessee? Because drake lost to Iowa St? Out of all those games which ones did people really think the MVC were going to win? Maybe the Ind St games. And maybe the MSU-Tulsa game. Other then that??

From the Valley Victim's thread....here are the MVC wins so far....

Victims:
N-Texas Pan-Am(Ind)--ISUb
v. Alabama St(SWAC)--CU
v. ORU(Summit)--MSU
v. Tx Southern(SWAC)--DU
v. N. Arizona(Big Sky)--CU
v. SIU-E(Ind)--ISUr
N Ark State(SunBelt)--MSU
v. Tx Southern(SWAC)--WSU
v. N. Illinois(MAC)--BU
v. Loyola-Mary(WCC)--BU
v. Tenn St(OVC)--ISUr
v. UL-Lafayette(SunBelt)--CU
v. UT-San Antonio(Southland)--UE

Compare that to who MVC teams beat just 4-5 years ago. Not one "name" victory for the MVC yet.

Sure, I expected UNI to lose to Syracuse....just not as badly as they lost. And, Drake losing to Iowa State by 48 points....an ISU team picked for last in the Big 12. Based on the scores so far, the MVC just isn't getting it done.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Aargh » November 20th, 2010, 6:17 pm

A good team in a bad conference can go 28 - 5, lose the conference tournament, and not get an NCAA invite.

When that happens, upper-level "non-BCS" recruits want to play in a better conference, and good coaches want to get into a better league. Then the league is on its way to becoming the Midwest equivalent of the Southland Conference.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball