UNI vs Milw

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UNI vs Milw

Postby Snaggletooth » November 21st, 2010, 8:04 am

valleychamp wrote:
Rebounding and FTs are to blame for the loss tonight.

UNI just lost to a Horizon league team. A middle of the pack horizon team. Spin it how you look but that is not a good sign.

UNI players are not going to grow in size in the post with experience. From what I saw they are undersized and rebounding is going to be a problem all year. The other thing I saw is this is not the same fundamental quality team from the past. They in fact are pretty poor shooting team who are even missing open looks.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby strike00 » November 21st, 2010, 9:40 am

UNI lost to worse teams last year.

Shooting wasn't great, but UNI has a different offense than they did last year. It's more up tempo and more of a "motion" offense. It's going to take time for everyone to get in the flow. The post is certainly a concern, if UNI can figure out a way to adapt, it will be ok, if not then it will be a struggle.
strike00
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby WuDrWu » November 21st, 2010, 10:33 am

strike00 wrote:UNI lost to worse teams last year.

Could you list those teams for those of us with poor memories? THANKS! :bow:

Tough stretch for the Panthers....at Syracuse and now Milwaukee. No calls going UNI's way. Getting back home to the friendly confines should get them back on track.....the newcomers will fill those shoes just fine in a couple more games, sometimes it just takes a little time! :Yea!: :Yea!: :Yea!: :Yea!: :Yea!:
THE VALLEY RULES! GO VALLEY!
WuDrWu
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby strike00 » November 21st, 2010, 11:08 am

Could you list those teams for those of us with poor memories? THANKS!

DePaul and Evansville.

You can be as sarcastic as you want, but I think it would be foolish to write UNI off this early, just like people did each of the last two years.
strike00
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby 45otseoj » November 21st, 2010, 6:27 pm

Aargh wrote:I especially liked your multiple posts that UNI's bench was all "highly experienced" and "ready to go" otherwise "Jank wouldn't play them".

Now that we're into the season, Jank is playing them and even UNI fans are not happy with UNI's bench. Jank can't put players on the court that aren't on the roster, so he's putting what he's got on the court, and some of them either aren't at the talent level that UNI fans are accustomed to or they need another year to be effective.

Wrong coach...
IlStU
45otseoj
All MVC
All MVC

Postby valleychamp » November 21st, 2010, 7:49 pm

Aargh wrote:valleychamp, do you want me to dig up your previous posts that said everybody on the bench, including the front court, is ready to go and your further insistence that depth was of no concern and not a factor that could negatively affect UNI's play this year?

I can put two of your posts together and in them you say that Sonnen and James would easily be starters on any other Valley team.

I especially liked your multiple posts that UNI's bench was all "highly experienced" and "ready to go" otherwise "Jank wouldn't play them".

Now that we're into the season, Jank is playing them and even UNI fans are not happy with UNI's bench. Jank can't put players on the court that aren't on the roster, so he's putting what he's got on the court, and some of them either aren't at the talent level that UNI fans are accustomed to or they need another year to be effective.

I want UNI to be successful. UNI's success this year could go a long way to keeping the MVC respectable. vc, you need to realize UNI's bench - and especially the front court bench - is going to be an issue and your opponents are going to try to be physical down low and get into a fouling contest with your front court.

Depth is not a concern. The guys we have on our bench are good players. But the post players on the bench are still young and will take some seasoning. As I said, I expected this team to struggle early on.

I never said that James and Sonnen would start on any other valley team. I said they could easily be starters on UNI's team.

This team will take some time to develop. Young guys are gaining experience, and some other players are learning to play new roles. This team is much different from our last couple of teams, and it will take time for them to learn how to win games. It is my hope that they will be able to figure it out by year's end, and I still think we are capable of doing so.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball