Head Case

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Head Case

Postby Jay_Walking » August 12th, 2010, 9:11 am

WSUbballer wrote:Creighton University had its share of headcases in recent memory. Of course the infamous P'unk and DA. DA was a constant whiner but he hid it a lot better. I remember the Miami NIT game very well in 06. That was definitely a proud moment for him and the beers that were chucked at the Qwest Center. Apparently when things aren't going the right way, tempers flail with even the "greatest" of coaches, as was the case with DA last year.

Marshall isn't your typical guy. Those who only see snip-its and glimpses of him in one or two games every year will probably be rubbed the wrong way.

WSUBaller, there was no beer chucked at that game. It was an NIT game. So just cokes, pizza boxes and popcorn.

Marshall is an animated coach, which brings more attention to himself. Other teams will dislike hom because of that. Do I like him, no but I think he is a good coach. My dislike probably has to do more with him being the coach of WSU. I think that Matty P. is horrible and more and more CU fans are thinking that as his gestapo tatics on the BJ Cafe increase and continue. So all of us CU fans (some do) do not follow his opinions blindly including his dislike for Gregg. For the record, I think Altman jawed at the refs a lot, but he was less animated which brough less attention to himself during the game. Yes, in the 16 years at CU, Altman did get a few T's and did get overly animated at times as all coaches do!
Jay_Walking
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Ricardo del Rio » August 12th, 2010, 9:13 am

PricklyPete wrote:
unipanther99 wrote:He got a technical that cost his team at a crucial moment at UNI last year. I can understand the point of wanting to get one to motivate your team, but I didn't get the impression that is what he was doing and it wasn't exactly like the Shockers needed to be more motivated at that point with the game so close.

To be fair, Altman got t'd up at the end of the George Mason game last year which was the reason Creighton lost that game.

I'm sorry, but fairness is not permitted on this fine forum.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » August 12th, 2010, 9:15 am

blueblood wrote:
RoyalShock wrote:
45otseoj wrote:What is everyone's issue with Marshall? He gave Osiris a back handed compliment after he torched them in Normal last year, but other than that I haven't notcied anything unlikeable about him. What is the history behind this?

CU fans have a distaste for him because during a radio interview with Omaha's aspiring internet reporter Marshall used his speakerphone (granted, not a good choice) and was terse with many of his answers, which wasn't surprising given the absurdity of the first few questions asked (completely obvious yes/no answers, which Matilda didn't care for). After the interview Matilda spent the next 15 or so minutes of his show ragging on Marshall. Ever since, Matilda gets his panties in a wad whenever the subject of Marshall comes up.

Marshall also made a post-game comment about Altman running an option out of one of their offensive sets to get an alley-oop (for P'Allen, I believe) in the final :30 of game that was well in hand (WSU defended it, but Marshall recognized the attempt). So a bit of a rivalry was born out of that.

I don't suppose you have ever noticed Coach Altman's sideline antics.

As a CU fan i disagree. I can't stand the guy because he whines about everything. He is similiar to the way Weber was at SIU. The difference is that Weber would later joke about it. Marshall appears to actually have an anger management paranoia problem. I also think you are playing a bit too much into the CU-WSU thing. I am willing to bet most fan bases do not like him, not just CU fans.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » August 12th, 2010, 10:10 am

After all of the comments during the season last year, I'm pleasantly suprised we haven't seen Lucas O'Rear's name mentioned yet.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby blueblood » August 12th, 2010, 11:07 am

I am a O'Rear fan. I like the guy.
blueblood
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby hot nuts » August 12th, 2010, 11:16 am

unipanther99 wrote:After all of the comments during the season last year, I'm pleasantly suprised we haven't seen Lucas O'Rear's name mentioned yet.

Lucas O'Rear. Are you disappointed now?
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Khan4Cats » August 13th, 2010, 8:49 pm

I'm going to have to disagree on Marshall here. Intense, yes. Head case? Not sold on that, yet. I have seen him be very gratious in both victory and defeat. The guy wants to win, but he can do it with class.

I think Jim Les is more of a head case as far as I'm concerned. He's far more unpredictable as to when he may go off and how. Always fun to watch him on the sideline at games, tick, tick, tick.

As far as players, too bad Nick Evans is gone from SIU, he would be a clear front runner.

I think the big from MSU that clothes-lined Ahelegbe last year probably comes closest after that (I don't think it was Patterson but that is the only name that comes to mind). Though a couple of the MSU players seemed to have issues with controlling emotions (noticed that in St. Louis last year as well).
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUbballer » August 13th, 2010, 10:16 pm

Jay_Walking wrote:WSUBaller, there was no beer chucked at that game. It was an NIT game. So just cokes, pizza boxes and popcorn.

Marshall is an animated coach, which brings more attention to himself. Other teams will dislike hom because of that. Do I like him, no but I think he is a good coach. My dislike probably has to do more with him being the coach of WSU. I think that Matty P. is horrible and more and more CU fans are thinking that as his gestapo tatics on the BJ Cafe increase and continue. So all of us CU fans (some do) do not follow his opinions blindly including his dislike for Gregg. For the record, I think Altman jawed at the refs a lot, but he was less animated which brough less attention to himself during the game. Yes, in the 16 years at CU, Altman did get a few T's and did get overly animated at times as all coaches do!

I could've swore I saw alcoholic beverages being thrown. Had the NIT been bought by the NCAA in 06 yet?

Thanks for the response and the background surrounding your opinion. It's really too bad that Freddie let that guy take over a great thing and misrepresent the Creighton online fan community so poorly.

And for the record, Altman is a great coach. Most WSU fans similarly hated him because he was at CU and because he owned us. Animated coaches can definitely rub some the wrong way. Sometimes they get misinterpreted based on their actions. Take Frank Martin at Kansas State for example. I love the guy and his passion.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Braves4Life » August 13th, 2010, 10:39 pm

hot nuts wrote:Now that P'Allen is gone...who is the biggest headcase in the MVC? Gregg Marshall? Taylor Brown?

I have always been one to bash Taylor Brown in the past, but I will go on record as saying TB will have an "event-free" season.... and may even become the Valley POY.
Braves4Life
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby 45otseoj » August 13th, 2010, 11:31 pm

Braves4Life wrote:
hot nuts wrote:Now that P'Allen is gone...who is the biggest headcase in the MVC? Gregg Marshall? Taylor Brown?

I have always been one to bash Taylor Brown in the past, but I will go on record as saying TB will have an "event-free" season.... and may even become the Valley POY.

:lol: I'm guessing you don't know TB3...
IlStU
45otseoj
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball