What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

What happens next?

Wichita St leaves for a better league
37%
Missouri St, IllinoisSt, UNI move up to FBS
25%
MVC expands
37%

Total votes : 107

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby Redhawk » July 24th, 2017, 10:27 am

BEARZ77 wrote:I'm not an ORU proponent, and while New Mexico State has historically been a good program, there's just no reason to stretch that far. Grand Canyon is even less sensible, but then I've never heard them even mentioned as a possibility so it doesn't matter.

To me there is only one sensible and attractive option to add with Murray State and it's SLU. I didn't even really like Belmont, because it's only looking at current basketball and not a more global picture of athletics, finances, travel, and academics. SLU is by far the best choice across the board, and it's obvious it is for them as well. The issue is them swallowing a little pride, eating a little crow and accepting that they would benefit more than they like to admit. My guess if Dayton and VCU bolt in the next year or two for AAC or Big East, that would sway the thinking. SLU would have a contingent of privates to align with, great location for all conference sports, be the hub of the conference, and be highly competitive in most of the main sports, MBB/WBB/VB/SOCCER/BB.

:+1: No further need to discuss ORU, NKU, Grand Canyon or NMSU at this time.
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » July 24th, 2017, 10:56 am

Murray State seems like a lock.

It's the 12th spot up for debate/invite.

UT-Arlington and UALR are two names I heard behind the scenes earlier this year as possible 12s. UALR is looking at starting football, but I can't imagine their athletic department can fund that. If they do start football the SBC will need a 12th school to balance the football schedule and that *could* be where Missouri State gets their call - if Liberty never gets past the stigma of being a bigoted diploma mill.

UTA and UALR would be interesting 12th options.

I think SFA is worth a look, depending how the football conference shakes out - I'm big on the MVC starting football as it's own as a protection method, in which case we'd need schools with football and SFA is a good option.

ORU has too many issues attatched to them

NKU is interesting - but I think they are still about 5-6 years of proving themselves to be top of where they are to warrant an invite.

Belmont is the sexy name but I'm over them. They don't want to commit to MVC $ levels so F them.

SLU is the best option but a pipe dream.

The Dakota's as a non-starter for a myriad of reasons - namely Murray being the 11th.

I'd propose going after, in this order; SLU, UALR, UTA, SFA, SDSU alone, NKU, NDSU, and then...who the hell knows.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » July 24th, 2017, 11:27 am

I just don't get the appeal of UALR. They've been very mediocre recently outside of one year in a basketball conference inferior to the MVC. I would target UTA or even possibly SFA before them and I think a strong case could be made for NKU over adding just a single Dakota school. It really is a shame that Milwaukee's athletic department is such a disaster because they would otherwise get a lot more play in these scenarios and the Lake Michigan option would look a lot better.

Since you mentioned football I have to ask: Would the stability of the MVC be threatened by the Summit League starting football? I know they're separate administratively but several MVFC members are also Summit League members. If those schools defect, would the MVC members in the MVFC look for a new conference which might take their basketball teams too. Does this force MOST to the Sun Belt\MAC and UNI and ISUr to the MAC?
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » July 24th, 2017, 1:57 pm

VUGrad1314 wrote:I just don't get the appeal of UALR. They've been very mediocre recently outside of one year in a basketball conference inferior to the MVC. I would target UTA or even possibly SFA before them and I think a strong case could be made for NKU over adding just a single Dakota school. It really is a shame that Milwaukee's athletic department is such a disaster because they would otherwise get a lot more play in these scenarios and the Lake Michigan option would look a lot better.

Since you mentioned football I have to ask: Would the stability of the MVC be threatened by the Summit League starting football? I know they're separate administratively but several MVFC members are also Summit League members. If those schools defect, would the MVC members in the MVFC look for a new conference which might take their basketball teams too. Does this force MOST to the Sun Belt\MAC and UNI and ISUr to the MAC?

I've covered this at length, and it's why I want the MVC to take football on.

The MVFC would be fine - short term. The threat of Summit League is football is very slim for reasons I've laid out dozens of times and can link if you'd like me too. They are buried at this point.

However, let's pretend the Summit school pulled out - yes, the MVC/MVFC would be okay for now, especially with the addition of Murray State. You need 6 teams to maintain an auto bid, the MVFC would have UNI, ISUR, ISUB, SIU, MSU, and YSU. Adding MUSU would give the league 7. For a number of reasons I don't see WIU following Summit League football. I think they end up in the Horizon or OVC. If they are Horizon that keeps them in the MVFC and gives the league 8 members.

This is why I want the MVC to sponsor football. Not to become a football school - but to create stability. Schools like SLU/Dayton/etc.. aren't happening. They would oppose to a conference with football. The MVFC is adding UND in 2020. That gives the MVFC 11 teams. Murray State would give the league 12, and the league may be headed for a divorce. Adding Murray State and SFA would force the Summit League's hand. The balance of voting sways very heavy to the MVC block. They will either deal with it, or break off. However, with Murray State and SFA the MVC/MVFC would be safe from any rash moves that schools like Illinois State, Missouri State and UNI (who seems more level headed than others at this point) from doing something.

Bradley
Drake
Evansville
Illinois State - FB
Indiana State - FB
Loyola
Missouri State - FB
Murray State - FB
Northern Iowa - FB
Southern Illinois - FB
Stephen F Austin - FB
Valparaiso

The concern is how SFA recovered post Brad Underwood. Last year wasn't great. However, they seem to have some pretty solid recruits coming.

That will never be allowed because it causes "too much" of a swing to football and public schools. I think we'll end up stuck with ORU if we must keep the private/public FB/nonFB spit. I'd take UT-A over ORU though. Their new arena looks quite nice (holds about 7k), and is unique but not stupid with it's design. The big draw back for them is geography - but if we insist on staying in our current footprint we don't have many options (as we've discussed), and lack of any familiarity/rivals with MVC members.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jacksfan29 » July 25th, 2017, 1:08 pm

Dom Izzo‏
@DomIzzoWDAY
Following
More
Viverito on expansion: "Not a 12th team we're looking at right now, but a 12 team league with two divisions would be attractive to us."
8:14 AM - 25 Jul 2017 from Moorhead, MN

UND gives the MVFC 11. The Summit will be adding a school within the next 12 months. If the league does not go after UMKC (SDSU and NDSU do not want UMKC), expect it to be a football school (UNC or EIU).

UNIftw's dream will die as will any dreams Murray has of getting an invite into the MVC unless they can find a home for their FB program.
jacksfan29
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby UEACES80 » July 25th, 2017, 2:45 pm

Nacogdoches TX (SFA) is over 900 miles from several MVC schools - doesn't make a lot of sense.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » July 25th, 2017, 2:53 pm

jacksfan29 wrote:Dom Izzo‏
@DomIzzoWDAY
Following
More
Viverito on expansion: "Not a 12th team we're looking at right now, but a 12 team league with two divisions would be attractive to us."
8:14 AM - 25 Jul 2017 from Moorhead, MN

UND gives the MVFC 11. The Summit will be adding a school within the next 12 months. If the league does not go after UMKC (SDSU and NDSU do not want UMKC), expect it to be a football school (UNC or EIU).

UNIftw's dream will die as will any dreams Murray has of getting an invite into the MVC unless they can find a home for their FB program.

If your reasoning against Murray State is that the quote is "Not a 12th team we're looking at right now" meaning that there is no discussions for a 12th team, that is also used against UNC and EIU.

The MVC has also said they will be looking at adding schools - and Murray State is the clear leader in the clubhouse.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvfcfan » July 26th, 2017, 7:21 pm

Murray State and Northern Kentucky seem like the best choices. Next would be NDSU and SDSU.

We all know about Murray State, but I think NKU is on the rise and definitely has potential. Their arena is top notch (Cincinnati is playing their home games there next season) and NKU just came off of their first tournament appearance.

Adding Murray State to the MVFC would also be ideal. Could set up both conferences (MVC and MVFC) into 6 team divisions. Example below.

*Note: MVC divisions set up to where travel partners are in same division.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

MVC East
NKU - INST
Valpo - Loyola
UE - Murray

MVC West
Drake - UNI
MSU - SIU
Bradley - ILST

--------------------------------------------

MVFC North (West)
NDSU
SDSU
USD
UND (2020, maybe sooner if Murray joins)
UNI
WIU (potential Horizon member, but would not effect MVFC membership)

MVFC South (East)
INST
ILST
SIU
MSU
Murray
YSU
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » July 26th, 2017, 9:43 pm

Is basketball contracting to 6 schools?
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » July 28th, 2017, 3:53 pm

Not that I have heard or seen. The Summit league football thing was a passing worried offseason thought. Meanwhile in the OVC...

https://twitter.com/boettger_eli/status ... 2419542016

It simply boggles my mind why Belmont or any other decent program would want to cling to that conference. And it certainly explains why Murray State wants to leave. Hopefully both programs will join the MVC in short order. 187 transfers in 5 years is a rate of turnover that would make even Muller and Wardle blush.

https://twitter.com/Sports_Aaron/status ... 4595287040
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball