What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

What happens next?

Wichita St leaves for a better league
37%
Missouri St, IllinoisSt, UNI move up to FBS
25%
MVC expands
37%

Total votes : 107

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby AndShock » October 5th, 2017, 10:26 pm

It's hard to quantify the exact value of football. I went to high school with a lot of people that went to K-State mostly because of football and the college atmosphere and experience that comes with it. I don't know how much that factors into prospective college students at the FCS level, but it probably has some effect.
AndShock
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » October 5th, 2017, 11:24 pm

AndShock wrote:It's hard to quantify the exact value of football. I went to high school with a lot of people that went to K-State mostly because of football and the college atmosphere and experience that comes with it. I don't know how much that factors into prospective college students at the FCS level, but it probably has some effect.

It does.

It's been referenced before, but UNI did a study in 09/10 and it found that if football was cut enrollment would take a dramatic drop - to the point that, IIRC, they said it would basically cripple the univerty's ability to operate at a level other than D3 or NAIA.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rally » October 6th, 2017, 3:09 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Don't know where to put this so here it is. Value of top college football team is Ohio state at 1.5-BILLION. Top in basket is (was) Louisville at 45-million

That's comparing different valuations from Forbes and WSJ. The WSJ which values OSU Football at $1.5 billion has the most valuable being Kentucky basketball at $342.6 million.
rally
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » October 6th, 2017, 4:13 pm

rally wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Don't know where to put this so here it is. Value of top college football team is Ohio state at 1.5-BILLION. Top in basket is (was) Louisville at 45-million

That's comparing different valuations from Forbes and WSJ. The WSJ which values OSU Football at $1.5 billion has the most valuable being Kentucky basketball at $342.6 million.

That's makes a little more sense.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC starter
MVC starter

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball