What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

What happens next?

Wichita St leaves for a better league
37%
Missouri St, IllinoisSt, UNI move up to FBS
25%
MVC expands
37%

Total votes : 107

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby MSUDuo » December 21st, 2016, 1:47 pm

jwa123 wrote:Excellent post unitfw! The one point I might squabble a bit on is MSU being most ready for FBS. They have not historically seen much success in football at any level and don't seem to draw much for attendance. I know they hired a new coach a couple years ago and from what I have read a very capable one so given time most likely will turn things around. Then again I might be assessing their situation incorrectly and some MSU faithfull will be here shortly to set the record straight in addition to you.

As an ISUr fan, like you I too tend to think of UNI as a sister institution in that both have similar goals for both football and basketball so a move together would not be surprising. On the other hand, as mentioned in a previous post, the MVFC could serve as the backbone for a new conference. I am slowly warming up to that idea which many of brethen will view as heretical. The Dakota schools are all excellent academically and sometimes this is a factor when conference mates are set up.

As for WSU, if they should get an AAC invite, I think it would be something they should jump on.

I know attendance is figured differently at every school and I have no clue how MSU does it but being ranked #18 in FCS attendance for 2015 is nothing to sneeze at. Especially considering how bad we have been for so long.
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » December 21st, 2016, 2:23 pm

MSUDuo wrote:
I know attendance is figured differently at every school and I have no clue how MSU does it but being ranked #18 in FCS attendance for 2015 is nothing to sneeze at. Especially considering how bad we have been for so long.

MSU and Youngstown are two of the biggest culprits of reporting a ticket count that doesn't match AIS. Youngstown will announce 15-18K and have about 3K in the seat.

Attendance issues are a joke when it comes to FBS memberships. I'm thinking that won't be an issue.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MSUDuo » December 21st, 2016, 4:47 pm

uniftw wrote:
MSUDuo wrote:

MSU and Youngstown are two of the biggest culprits of reporting a ticket count that doesn't match AIS. Youngstown will announce 15-18K and have about 3K in the seat.

Attendance issues are a joke when it comes to FBS memberships. I'm thinking that won't be an issue.

I'll take your word for it. :roll:
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby uniftw » December 22nd, 2016, 8:57 am

MSUDuo wrote:
uniftw wrote:
MSUDuo wrote:

I'll take your word for it. :roll:

Youngstown announced 13K for this game....that massive block of red in the middle of that seating area is red seats. That side of the stadium holds 15K. The other side of the stadium holds like 4k and was just as empty.

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q340 ... obz7i8.png
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » January 24th, 2017, 8:07 pm

FYI-

UND has verbally agreed to join the Summit League in the fall of 2018 for all of its athletic programs outside of football and hockey, the Herald has learned.

Summit League commissioner Tom Douple is expected at a press conference Thursday in Grand Forks.

UND also is finalizing a move to the Missouri Valley Football Conference. MVFC presidents will vote on the potential move Wednesday. It is expected to pass.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Red » January 25th, 2017, 12:45 pm

Does this make it less likely that we would ever expand into the Dakotas?
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » January 25th, 2017, 1:01 pm

I thought the league office said they didn't want teams parking just some of their teams in the Valley?

Hmmmm....
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » January 25th, 2017, 2:42 pm

Cdizzle wrote:I thought the league office said they didn't want teams parking just some of their teams in the Valley?

Hmmmm....

Technically the vote hasn't happened yet.

Secondly, it wouldn't be UND parking. There are no FBS aspirations. No "we need to get into the AAC or MWC dreams out of Grand Forks. They'd be a "lifer" in the MVFC.

Having said that, there are a couple major issues many have with UND in the MVFC. If the vote/discussions were private I doubt UND gets in. HOWEVER, Patty used a state issues phone for all corespondents about the vote and gauging interesting. She used a state issues e-mail. She made it very clear that she did so. Thus it's all subject to FOIA. Meaning, she pulled a power trip to ensure those that would vote no can't due to political backlash.

SDSU and NDSU would be no votes, but with a public vote they can't/won't vote no due to potential political backlash. They may, however, abstain from the vote. They did on the vote about USD in 2010. UNI doesn't have a president in office yet. UNI may abstain due to that. UND needs 7 yes votes to get in. If those three abstain there only need to be one no to keep them out. I have a feeling YSU, MSU, SIU or ISUr could be that vote.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » February 15th, 2017, 11:13 am

Reports circulating that the Big East and UCONN are discussing the Huskies joining the conference. Not sure how the AAC would then respond or if this news would strengthen or weaken the Wichita State to AAC rumors.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby uniftw » February 15th, 2017, 11:16 am

MVCfans wrote:Reports circulating that the Big East and UCONN are discussing the Huskies joining the conference. Not sure how the AAC would then respond or if this news would strengthen or weaken the Wichita State to AAC rumors.

What would they do with football? Would the AAC keep them? I suppose if that were the case then it would help WSU's case. They'd maintain what they have now, essentially.

EDIT

I looked and UCONN leaving would give the AAC 10 basketball members. That would give them a true double round robin. That'd be nice.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball