What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

What happens next?

Wichita St leaves for a better league
37%
Missouri St, IllinoisSt, UNI move up to FBS
25%
MVC expands
37%

Total votes : 107

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby Svoboda » June 23rd, 2017, 9:36 pm

And the Horizon adds IUPUI.
Sycamore Pride - http://www.sycamorepride.com
MVC News & Social Media Aggregator - https://www.mvctalk.com
Svoboda
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby VUGrad1314 » June 25th, 2017, 1:42 am

Svoboda wrote:And the Horizon adds IUPUI.

Which doesn't even sponsor baseball . Rough times for the conference . There's a lot of speculation that the league is going to add Grand Canyon and New Mexico State in the future but I just don't buy it. I think it's far more likely that the Horizon League adds IPFW and Robert Morris . Maybe Southern Indiana if that program decides to go D1.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » June 25th, 2017, 1:34 pm

VUGrad1314 wrote:

Which doesn't even sponsor baseball . Rough times for the conference . There's a lot of speculation that the league is going to add Grand Canyon and New Mexico State in the future but I just don't buy it. I think it's far more likely that the Horizon League adds IPFW and Robert Morris . Maybe Southern Indiana if that program decides to go D1.

They might add all 4. It's reported they are looking to go 14
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » June 25th, 2017, 11:41 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
VUGrad1314 wrote:

They might add all 4. It's reported they are looking to go 14

Still not buying it.There are some seriously cash-strapped institutions in the Horizon League. Even if adding Grand Canyon and New Mexico State would be the perfect solution for adding much needed basketball power to that conference, I just don't see those institutions--namely Green Bay and Wright State--agreeing to send all their sports to Phoenix and Las Cruces for conference games. I believe that if Grand Canyon performs as well as expected the WCC is going to step in and take those two programs to get to 12 and give Gonzaga some more competition. That move should stop any chatter of them seeking a better conference, at least for a little while.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » June 26th, 2017, 4:26 am

I don't buy the whole money issues. It would cost $50,000 tops extra for each school to make two trips to the southwest each year and that number includes all sports. Less is you can schedule it so you hit both schools in the same trip. Any university should be able to handle that. If you can't you should probably just get out of D1. Also, that number would be mostly offset if you can turn the league into a two bid league. I want grand canyon in the MVC.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RacerJoeD » June 26th, 2017, 6:55 am

The travel is a budget buster for all sports and doesn't do much for your strength of conference. Otherwise, NMSU and GCU would already be in another conference.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » June 26th, 2017, 7:43 am

RacerJoeD wrote:The travel is a budget buster for all sports and doesn't do much for your strength of conference. Otherwise, NMSU and GCU would already be in another conference.

Its a budget buster for MVC if you are like Creighton and and have to travel to the east coast numerous times per year. Creighton is actually having an issue with travel cost. Unlike Creighton, the MVC would have to make one trip to the southwest per school and hit both schools while out there. Again, that's a total of less than $50,000 per school if you do the math.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » June 26th, 2017, 11:27 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
RacerJoeD wrote:The travel is a budget buster for all sports and doesn't do much for your strength of conference. Otherwise, NMSU and GCU would already be in another conference.

Creighton is actually having an issue with travel cost.

Hogwash. I haven't seen anyone verify this. Creighton is getting many millions more in TV money and NCAA unit allocation. Similarly, Wichita State will be fine in the AAC.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby RacerJoeD » June 26th, 2017, 9:13 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:

Its a budget buster for MVC if you are like Creighton and and have to travel to the east coast numerous times per year. Creighton is actually having an issue with travel cost. Unlike Creighton, the MVC would have to make one trip to the southwest per school and hit both schools while out there. Again, that's a total of less than $50,000 per school if you do the math.

I'm not sure where you get $50k per school. But adding GCU and NMSU for $50k is still a bad deal.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniguy » June 27th, 2017, 10:18 am

If the Horizon League adds Grand Canyon and NMSU, they will be more likely to get multiple bids in a given year than the MVC. If that is how you judge conference strength, they will be stronger than us. The time to be proactive is now.
uniguy
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball