What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

What happens next?

Wichita St leaves for a better league
37%
Missouri St, IllinoisSt, UNI move up to FBS
25%
MVC expands
37%

Total votes : 107

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby uniftw » September 25th, 2017, 11:02 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:The point is they can't even have a chance to compete for the highest level in football. You keep saying but the cfp isn't run by the NCAA. Who gives a s***? The cfp is still higher than the NCAA in football. Stop purposely being stupid. At least in basketball they have a chance. In football there isn't even a chance.

So why should anyone sponsor football? Why should any JUCO, D2 D3 or NAIA sponsor any sports at all?
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » September 25th, 2017, 11:40 am

uniftw wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:The point is they can't even have a chance to compete for the highest level in football. You keep saying but the cfp isn't run by the NCAA. Who gives a s***? The cfp is still higher than the NCAA in football. Stop purposely being stupid. At least in basketball they have a chance. In football there isn't even a chance.

So why should anyone sponsor football? Why should any JUCO, D2 D3 or NAIA sponsor any sports at all?

Money wise they shouldn't. It's not profitable. It's engrained I to American society though. With all the CTE stuff recently I imagine with 50 years they won't.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Fargobison » September 25th, 2017, 3:09 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:For argument sake let's say they do actually make a profit if $500,000k. Big deal. That pays for the assistant coaches.

The profit is more like $3 million...The article you quoted said that not all donations are part of the equation. I happen to know the numbers...Of the $4 million booster money the football program generates only about $1.2 million is recorded as revenue since it goes directly to cover scholarship costs for the football program. The mission of the booster club is to pay for every athletic scholarship for the athletic department plus cost of attendance for every student athlete as well.

Because of NDSU's football program and the revenue it generates the school can afford to pay cost of attendance to every student athlete.

NDSU's football program is very much the exception at the FCS level. Financially the school is probably better off at the FCS level vs the G5 level since going to a MAC type of conference would probably just result in increased expenses with little opportunity for new revenue streams.
Fargobison
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby mvfcfan » September 26th, 2017, 7:55 am

I just don't get what the issue is with football on this board. If a school wants to have a football team or doesn't want to have a football team then why does it matter? I just don't what the point of trashing football on this thread is. I'm not on here demanding that Bradley, Evansville, Drake, Loyola, and Valpo sponsor scholarship football. I'm just defending a sport my school sponsors. The fact remains that it is possible to be successful in both as every public in the MVC has proven.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » September 26th, 2017, 8:03 am

mvfcfan wrote:I just don't get what the issue is with football on this board. If a school wants to have a football team or doesn't want to have a football team then why does it matter? I just don't what the point of trashing football on this thread is. I'm not on here demanding that Bradley, Evansville, Drake, Loyola, and Valpo sponsor scholarship football. I'm just defending a sport my school sponsors. The fact remains that it is possible to be successful in both as every public in the MVC has proven.

I don't have a problem with football. I quite enjoy it. Some seem to think its more important than men's basketball and that's just not the case at the FCS level. Chance and exposure are higher in men's basketball at the FCS level. And, really at the FBS level too unless you're a P5 or in the Mountain West...or BYU or Notre Dame. So, you're talking about a total of around 60 teams in the whole United States that actually have a good reason for football. The rest don't really have a good reason its just high profile and engrained into American society.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rally » September 26th, 2017, 2:36 pm

mvfcfan wrote:I just don't get what the issue is with football on this board. If a school wants to have a football team or doesn't want to have a football team then why does it matter? I just don't what the point of trashing football on this thread is. I'm not on here demanding that Bradley, Evansville, Drake, Loyola, and Valpo sponsor scholarship football. I'm just defending a sport my school sponsors. The fact remains that it is possible to be successful in both as every public in the MVC has proven.

You proposed that the football schools split-off and join the Summit schools for an all sports conference and the conversation took off from there. It's really more on debating the merits of prioritizing FCS football at a conference or institutional level. Most have a different opinion than your own.
rally
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby glm38 » September 26th, 2017, 5:44 pm

So it's ok for you to malign/put down NCAA basketball in the MVC saying FCS football is superior? But it's not ok for others on here to state the opposite opinion? That makes zero sense.

Again this is primarily a BASKETBALL forum. Most people on here are more concerned with MVC basketball than they are with FCS football.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvfcfan » September 27th, 2017, 5:45 am

The point I'm trying to make is that both are important sports. Most schools are putting more money into football though since there is a better chance at making the playoffs and competing for a national title. And it's not an entirely crazy thought for football schools to play together while the non-football schools play together. After all the football playing Dakota schools have been outperforming the MVC privates the past several years in basketball.

The other point I was trying to make was just proven yesterday. We're never going to compete for national titles in basketball; especially when schools are paying one and done players $100,000 under the table to go to their school and wear a certain company's apparel, just so they can hire that company's agent.

Now making it to the Sweet 16 every 2-3 years is definitely realistic. Getting more than one bid in the future is questionable, but it could still happen once in a while.

But hey, the MVC might end up with the second best team in Kentucky after Louisville is either given the death penalty or is on serious probation.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » September 27th, 2017, 6:18 am

mvfcfan wrote:The point I'm trying to make is that both are important sports. Most schools are putting more money into football though since there is a better chance at making the playoffs and competing for a national title. And it's not an entirely crazy thought for football schools to play together while the non-football schools play together. After all the football playing Dakota schools have been outperforming the MVC privates the past several years in basketball.

The other point I was trying to make was just proven yesterday. We're never going to compete for national titles in basketball; especially when schools are paying one and done players $100,000 under the table to go to their school and wear a certain company's apparel, just so they can hire that company's agent.

Now making it to the Sweet 16 every 2-3 years is definitely realistic. Getting more than one bid in the future is questionable, but it could still happen once in a while.

I guess I just can't figure out what it is you don't understand about the financial dynamics involved here. Almost all Universities below the power 5 +1 level are increasingly under budget constraints and losing money in providing athletics. The need to find ways to increase revenue and decrease expenses will continue to be paramount to their ability to compete in those sports they choose to provide. I love football, but at the majority of FCS schools, it is the biggest financial hit on their athletics budgets , and offers little chance of becoming even a neutral budget line item let alone a profitable one. Winning a championship is nice , but even for schools who regularly make the FCS playoffs, it does not result in financial gain for most. On the other hand simply making an NCAA Tournament appearance in basketball results in significant financial gain for both the University itself plus every team in the conference. Putting 1-2 teams in the NCAA Tourney yearly is much more financially advantageous for those Universities and the MVC than putting 5-6 schools in the FCS playoffs every year. Just the way it is. This is the real world; in the end you have to pay the bills .
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » September 27th, 2017, 7:39 am

^exactly. While football is great it's just not profitable unless you're a P5, Boise, byu, or notre Dame. I'm not saying get rid of it but basketball is definitely more important and a higher impact at all but 60 schools nationwide on any level.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball