What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

What happens next?

Wichita St leaves for a better league
37%
Missouri St, IllinoisSt, UNI move up to FBS
25%
MVC expands
37%

Total votes : 107

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » September 13th, 2017, 5:01 pm

mvfcfan wrote:There are 32 conferences in D1 basketball. Of those 32 conferences only 2 mid major conferences received at-large bids (3 teams total: VCU, Dayton, St Mary's). I'm still trying figure out how basketball is more of an even playing field. Yeah we may get money for being in the tournament. But the amount of money Power 5 schools are getting from tournament revenue, TV contracts, ticket sales, sponsorships, etc; is not even comparable to the chump change we're getting. Say what you want, but FCS is about as even of a playing field as you get.

I don't think the conversation is about even talent I think it's more about a more even chance. The birds can't even get to the final four of college football. They at least have the chance in college basketball. Also, since they're eligible for the same tournament as power 5 schools the exposure is higher in basketball which could result in higher profits. Ask, butler, WSU, gonzaga, VCU, dayton, etc. No matter how you slice it the FCS isnt as profitable as the CFP and not even as profitable as the worst bowl game. Basketball will always bring more exposure than football to an FCS school unless the football team pulls a NDSU type UCLA streak.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BEARZ77 » September 13th, 2017, 7:12 pm

mvfcfan wrote:There are 32 conferences in D1 basketball. Of those 32 conferences only 2 mid major conferences received at-large bids (3 teams total: VCU, Dayton, St Mary's). I'm still trying figure out how basketball is more of an even playing field. Yeah we may get money for being in the tournament. But the amount of money Power 5 schools are getting from tournament revenue, TV contracts, ticket sales, sponsorships, etc; is not even comparable to the chump change we're getting. Say what you want, but FCS is about as even of a playing field as you get.

How can it be level when you aren't even given a chance to play for a title at the highest level. It's like being told the best you can do is going to the CTI in basketball. No money, no prestige, no media exposure to speak of. Every D-1 team in basketball has a chance to play for the National title in basketball. At large bids are additional chances , and yeah they're becoming pretty scarce to get, but you still have a chance via the conference tourney championship.

And the money is just so skewed with FCS football a huge loser and D-1 basketball the life blood of any non power 5 school. There's no reasonable argument in favor of FCS Football other than some fans love football even though it kills their athletic budgets.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BradleyFan71 » September 13th, 2017, 7:27 pm

mvfcfan wrote:I also might be more excited about being in a conference with Drake, Bradley, Evansville, and Loyola if they ever were actually competitive. Instead all their fans talk about how basketball is so great, but yet get outperformed by the schools with football.

When was the last time Illinois State actually made the NCAA Tournament, not to mention the Sweet 16?
BradleyFan71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » September 13th, 2017, 8:04 pm

BradleyFan71 wrote:
mvfcfan wrote:I also might be more excited about being in a conference with Drake, Bradley, Evansville, and Loyola if they ever were actually competitive. Instead all their fans talk about how basketball is so great, but yet get outperformed by the schools with football.

When was the last time Illinois State actually made the NCAA Tournament, not to mention the Sweet 16?

Drake, Bradley, and Evansville have all had that one superior team that broke through in the past 19 seasons. The Redbirds have not. They redbirds have been more consistent, however. In the past 19 years Drake has 3 winning seasons, Bradley 6, Evansville 8, and Illinois State 13. That's 68% ISU puts a winning team on the floor at a rate greater than two out of every three years. That's what he's getting at.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvfcfan » September 13th, 2017, 8:45 pm

Another interesting stat is that Bradley, Illinois State, and Missouri State have all made the NCAA tournament a combined one time, 17 years into the 21st century!

Just thought I'd throw that out there since basketball is such an even playing field. Why do we even play the regular season games in basketball? It would make more sense just to play Arch Madness, since those are the only games that clearly matter anymore.

At least in FCS football if you win 7 games you are going to the playoffs (especially if you're in the MVFC).
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby rally » September 13th, 2017, 9:09 pm

You can make the CBI/CIT with a winning record in basketball. That's about the equivalent to the FCS playoffs.
rally
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby TheAsianSensation » September 13th, 2017, 9:39 pm

I'd argue that with sponsors and exposure, football at NDSU and hockey at NDak put those programs well into the black.

But that's the level you got to get to, to make it work. That's why I kind of feel sorry for NDSU. No one in FBS wants them because of geography, but no one in FCS can play keep-up with them to give them something greater to play for. They're in legitimate no-man's land in college athletics.

By the way, FCS playoffs = NIT. The EIEIO tournaments (CBI/CIT) aren't even on FCS level.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby rally » September 14th, 2017, 6:18 am

The lower-mid level bowl games are the NIT equivalent in college football. Both still get better coverage, while the FCS playoffs and CBI/CIT just linger out there as the forgotten stepchild.

But still, even the NIT winner isn't claiming a "National Championship."
rally
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Mikovio » September 14th, 2017, 6:38 am

mvfcfan wrote:Another interesting stat is that Bradley, Illinois State, and Missouri State have all made the NCAA tournament a combined one time, 17 years into the 21st century!

Just thought I'd throw that out there since basketball is such an even playing field. Why do we even play the regular season games in basketball? It would make more sense just to play Arch Madness, since those are the only games that clearly matter anymore.

At least in FCS football if you win 7 games you are going to the playoffs (especially if you're in the MVFC).

Well that Bradley bid was an at large. And 2016 UNI got an 11 seed, which generally indicates the committee thought they'd be at large worthy (although in First Four). I get tired of seeing all these dire predictions of no MVC teams ever winning another at large now with no evidence. ISUr was on the bubble last year but they f-ed up in the noncon. Usually Murray State and Tulsa are forgivable losses but last year they had losing records. And with the committee watching WSU depantsed them.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » September 14th, 2017, 6:55 am

rally wrote:The lower-mid level bowl games are the NIT equivalent in college football. Both still get better coverage, while the FCS playoffs and CBI/CIT just linger out there as the forgotten stepchild.

But still, even the NIT winner isn't claiming a "National Championship."

Exactly; FCS football honks keep avoiding the issue that they start the year w/o any chance of playing for the top spot in their sport. Just because you gave it a special name and it's own playoff doesn't change the fact that as a D-1 athletics program you are shut out of playing for the top spot. Hell so do all the lower level FBS programs as it's been shown a perfect regular season won't get an invite to the bowl playoff structure for them either. But none of that is really the main issue for me. I keep going back to the simple reality that FCS football = poorhouse while D-1 basketball = cash cow. Plain and simple.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball