What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

What happens next?

Wichita St leaves for a better league
37%
Missouri St, IllinoisSt, UNI move up to FBS
25%
MVC expands
37%

Total votes : 107

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby Aargh » September 13th, 2014, 10:11 pm

If you can put 18K in the stands, that is awesome. If the average ticket price was in the $20 range and the butts in the sets paid it - and didn't show up for free corporate-purchased tickets, that would be even better.

I have a very bad feeling about FBS non-P5 FB. With maybe $5,000 for "cost of attendance" stipends and another $5,000 for licensing rights per player, the P5 may be dropping $1 mill a year into the pockets of their players. If the non-P5 can't match that, they will be getting a lower tier of recruits.

The P5 look like they're going to basically become a minor league system for the NFL. In an odd turn of events, that could actually escalate FCS FB. It's possible that the P5 become the #1 attraction and BCS becomes the #2 attraction because that's the amateur system on an even playing field.

That could leave non-P5 FBS in some weird never-never land where they're neither relevant as a minor league for the NFL, nor are they relevant for any level of a national championship.

If you can continue putting 15K - 18K butts in seats, then maybe you're ready to move up to FBS. In that case, I wish you the best.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Aargh » September 13th, 2014, 10:21 pm

da_bears wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:useless distraction? Its by far the biggest sport in the US and draws the biggest crowds. MSU football today drew roughly 8,000 more than what your basketball games draw.

The NFL and the P5 conferences are the biggest sport in the US. Soccer is starting to move past non-P5 and FCS FB.

Congratulations for having a game where your FB team outdrew WSU basketball. WSU basketball has been averaging 10K+ for about the last 10 years. What has MSU FB been drawing for the last 10 years.

If you think putting 18K in your stands for 1 game makes you relevant, I will be happy to compare WSU's national TV money for athletics to MSU's, even though WSU doesn't offer "the biggest sport in the US". I got news for you, neither does MSU. It would not surprise me if WSU gets more TV revenue from VB than MSU gets from FB.

I suspect that MSU's shares of WSU's NCAA appearances are larger than MSU's TV revenues for their FB team.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Championz » September 13th, 2014, 10:29 pm

Rumor has it there were a lot of $5 tickets for this MSU-UND clash. Is that true?
If true, then it's going to take more than one sold out game full of $5 football tickets (I don't think that would get you into most high school games) to get you to sniff at any FBS doormat door.

If there was a 5 year average of 18,000+ for football games, then you may be on to something. And even then, it would be a longshot at anything meaningful. One sold-out game opening up a renovated stadium doesn't mean squat, except some feel-goodness on a Saturday evening in September in Springfield, Missouri.

If Missouri State is striving to be the next Arkansas State, then more power to them. But Arkansas State is a nobody and I'm sure anybody outside of a 50 mile radius surrounding Hot Springs? (I don't know what city they hail from) even knows Arkansas State (I don't even know their nickname) exists.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » September 13th, 2014, 11:44 pm

The news here is simply Missouri State is trying to see how far they can take their football program ; whether it falls short or whether it makes it to another level isn't even that big a deal. It's just college sports. If you can't allow yourself to entertain the what if's and possibilities of sport, why bother having them. Our administration spent a lot of energy and resources seeing what they could do to provide a better game day experience to our students and community. Today they got rewarded; who knows how that plays out the rest of the year. I appreciate the effort.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » September 14th, 2014, 1:24 am

Congratulations to Missouri St.on 18,000. We been there and done that. It didn't last but the Shockers had numerous football games where we brought in 25,000-30,000 fans to single games. The high attendance didn't last. Right now M.S.U. is in the FCS division and wanting to move up. The Shox have never been anything other than Div. 1 and never will. That just wouldn't fly. However at this time, leadership is putting fund raising into growing the university with the new Innovation Campus initiative as well as trying to grow the student body to 20,000-27,000 students. The Innovation Campus is designed to combine area businesses and WSU research/engineering programs. Maybe some day if timing, support, and funding are aligned, leadership may try to bring it back but right now it isn't part of the vision.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » September 14th, 2014, 4:13 am

Aargh wrote:
da_bears wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:useless distraction? Its by far the biggest sport in the US and draws the biggest crowds. MSU football today drew roughly 8,000 more than what your basketball games draw.

The NFL and the P5 conferences are the biggest sport in the US. Soccer is starting to move past non-P5 and FCS FB.

Congratulations for having a game where your FB team outdrew WSU basketball. WSU basketball has been averaging 10K+ for about the last 10 years. What has MSU FB been drawing for the last 10 years.

If you think putting 18K in your stands for 1 game makes you relevant, I will be happy to compare WSU's national TV money for athletics to MSU's, even though WSU doesn't offer "the biggest sport in the US". I got news for you, neither does MSU. It would not surprise me if WSU gets more TV revenue from VB than MSU gets from FB.

I suspect that MSU's shares of WSU's NCAA appearances are larger than MSU's TV revenues for their FB team.

No reason to get defensive. Every other program in the Valley should be envious of where the Shockers are with your mens basketball program. In regards to football MSU and the Shox have gone different directions that's all. But I wouldn't call football a "useless distraction". There is value in a football program both to a community and to a student body. From a purely monetary standpoint MSU may be better off without football (at least short term) but that doesn't mean it's the best course. Football just adds something special to a college campus.

Can we sustain this? I don't know but it's sure exciting to think about. I know I hadn't attended a game in several years but my wife and plan to attend the rest of the home games this year after yesterday.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » September 14th, 2014, 5:48 am

da_bears wrote:
Wufan wrote:I think it's great that you put 18000 in the stands, and I sincerely hope you are able to repeat that.

Who'd you play and did you win?

North Dakota of the Big Sky Conf. Bears won big 38-0.

Also, it'd be nice if you guys would bring back football.(I'm assuming your a WSU fan) Seriously, you guys can afford it now and I'd love the rivalry with you guys.

It would be absolutely fantastic if we were able to compete in big boy football, but we can't, and we can't afford it either. To do it right would cost well north of 100 million up front, and if we don't compete for a title, it's not worth even the slightest fall off in basketball.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » September 14th, 2014, 5:50 am

Also, it's easy to say we can't so you can't either. That's not true. Everyone needs to find their own formula for success, but I have to agree that in the Mo Valley (or the sunbelt) the odds of dual success are stacked against you.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » September 14th, 2014, 7:33 am

I'm not one of those who has generally been in favor of maintaining football. I've always felt that if we took those resources and spread them among mbb, wbb, vb, baseball, and perhaps even a hockey program[ where we've been very good at the club level] we could be a consistent top 50 program in all of them given past success. But that's not the decision we've made, so I'm also one of those who says if you're gonna do it, do it the best you can, and so I again appreciate that our administration seems to be going for it. What they have done in a little over a year given the obvious financial constraints, to dramatically change the appearance of the University from an athletics facility standpoint and in so doing also gave our football game day atmosphere a new face to start with is remarkable. It maybe an uphill or even futile battle, but that's only if you think in terms of a specific outcome as the only acceptable end. The campus looks great with lighting and Bear Heads everywhere and everything highly visible to the public and accessible to the students.

I think the level of pride about the campus is at a high and growing, and now if we can tack a highly successful overall sport year on top we will have some real momentum building. I don't have any idea what other Universities should do to navigate and find success during these times; but I know what we're doing, and right now it looks and feels right for MSU.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » September 14th, 2014, 3:19 pm

Championz wrote:If Missouri State is striving to be the next Arkansas State, then more power to them. But Arkansas State is a nobody and I'm sure anybody outside of a 50 mile radius surrounding Hot Springs? (I don't know what city they hail from) even knows Arkansas State (I don't even know their nickname) exists.

This part is crazy. I can name more current Arkansas State football players and am much more educated on the current state of affairs of just about every Sun Belt football program than I can do with the entire Missouri Valley Conference in basketball. Especially outside of MSU and WSU.

They are the Red Wolves and are located in Jonesboro for what it is worth. And this weekend they played the University of Miami from the ACC. That is part of a home and home they have. In other words Miami is coming to Jonesboro and so is Mizzou in the coming years. That is a huge deal for ASU and the whole Jonesboro community. If that means that they are a "nobody" then I really cannot rationalize with you. I just can't.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball