What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

What happens next?

Wichita St leaves for a better league
37%
Missouri St, IllinoisSt, UNI move up to FBS
25%
MVC expands
37%

Total votes : 107

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby Championz » September 9th, 2014, 10:00 pm

Was "Big 12 level" and "Missouri State" just stated in the same post?

I mean it's great that you have such a positive outlook on things and that you can dream big. But there wasn't a touch of realism in any bit of that post. I get that you're a homer MSU fan and that is to be expected. But to think Missouri State is going to be the next UTSA is laughable on all sorts of levels. You can't even average half-capacity at your 16,000 seat stadium. You're no closer to a meaningful FBS school than a Southeast Missouri State is.

Going to the Sun Belt is not going to change anything. Why isn't Arkansas State or Louisiana Lafayette knocking down the Big 12 or SEC doors? And Missouri State isn't even close to what those meaningless FBS schools are.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Aargh » September 10th, 2014, 2:07 pm

MSUDuo wrote:Not to mention the teams that they would be able to draw in down the road. Are you going to tell me that people wouldn't show up for even for Navy? Indiana? Mississippi State? Temple? Those are at least names that the average college football fan knows. Hell, UTSA just hosted Arizona on national TV. And they didn't even have football 5 years ago. With that, ticket sales are up and you can go from charging $5 a game to even $10-20.

First of all - how do you get Navy, Indiana, Mississippi State, or Temple into Springfield? They ain't going anywhere near Springfield.

You're not getting home/home series with those schools. They'll be the ones buying you for games at their place. You're planning on 2 non-con away games to fund the program. You'll be getting FCS schools in for your home games and you'll be paying them the $400K that you're getting now. That's going to wipe out one of your away paydays.

Now the better part - You're only getting 9,000 and change to games and you're only charging $5? That's preposterous. That is a clear indication that the population of southwest Missouri absolutely doesn't care about Missouri State FB.

You're hoping to be able to raise ticket prices to $10 or maybe even $20. Congratulations. That will probably put you right in the range of what they charge for FB in San Antonio - for their high school gmes, which are probably better attended than your D1 games.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MSUDuo » September 13th, 2014, 12:12 pm

Championz wrote:Was "Big 12 level" and "Missouri State" just stated in the same post?

I mean it's great that you have such a positive outlook on things and that you can dream big. But there wasn't a touch of realism in any bit of that post. I get that you're a homer MSU fan and that is to be expected. But to think Missouri State is going to be the next UTSA is laughable on all sorts of levels. You can't even average half-capacity at your 16,000 seat stadium. You're no closer to a meaningful FBS school than a Southeast Missouri State is.

Going to the Sun Belt is not going to change anything. Why isn't Arkansas State or Louisiana Lafayette knocking down the Big 12 or SEC doors? And Missouri State isn't even close to what those meaningless FBS schools are.

Got it. Never dream big. Pay no attention to other schools that may have also defied the odds. Sure, for every Utah there is Boise, Marshall,etc. But hey, why even try?

Aargh wrote:
MSUDuo wrote:Not to mention the teams that they would be able to draw in down the road. Are you going to tell me that people wouldn't show up for even for Navy? Indiana? Mississippi State? Temple? Those are at least names that the average college football fan knows. Hell, UTSA just hosted Arizona on national TV. And they didn't even have football 5 years ago. With that, ticket sales are up and you can go from charging $5 a game to even $10-20.

First of all - how do you get Navy, Indiana, Mississippi State, or Temple into Springfield? They ain't going anywhere near Springfield.

You're not getting home/home series with those schools. They'll be the ones buying you for games at their place. You're planning on 2 non-con away games to fund the program. You'll be getting FCS schools in for your home games and you'll be paying them the $400K that you're getting now. That's going to wipe out one of your away paydays.

Now the better part - You're only getting 9,000 and change to games and you're only charging $5? That's preposterous. That is a clear indication that the population of southwest Missouri absolutely doesn't care about Missouri State FB.

You're hoping to be able to raise ticket prices to $10 or maybe even $20. Congratulations. That will probably put you right in the range of what they charge for FB in San Antonio - for their high school gmes, which are probably better attended than your D1 games.

Where did I say home and home? If I did, I retract my statement.

In case you haven't been pay attention, the paydays for FCS are going bye-bye from the BCS schools. Hell, there were teams who took $200-$300k checks this year.

But you're right, those types of teams would only go to Monroe, LA (Wake); Bowling Green, KY (Army, Vandy); Bowling Green, OH (Indiana, Memphis, Maryland); South Alabama (Miss St, Navy, NC St); Texas State (Navy, Tulsa), Akron (Pitt, Iowa St); Buffalo (Baylor), Yipsilanti, MI (Wyoming, Army, Mich. St); Munice, IN (Army); Boone NC (Wyoming, So. Miss); Jonesboro, AR (Mizzou, Miami); and the likes. Never would they consider coming to Springfield.

But I got it now. I should be a o.k with the status quo and never dream of what could be.

You guys make this a boring place! :D
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Wufan » September 13th, 2014, 12:24 pm

I don't follow FCS football or non P5 FBS (or whatever it is now), but I do follow basketball. It is much easier and cheaper to be successful at basketball. Why not attempt to put a successful basketball team on the court?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MSUDuo » September 13th, 2014, 1:52 pm

Wufan wrote:I don't follow FCS football or non P5 FBS (or whatever it is now), but I do follow basketball. It is much easier and cheaper to be successful at basketball. Why not attempt to put a successful basketball team on the court?

If we're not going to move up in football, I'd be all for getting rid of FCS and joining ranks with WSU and going at it with just basketball.

For now, football drives everything and I would like a shot at moving up and seeing what happens.
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby da_bears » September 13th, 2014, 8:11 pm

MSUDuo wrote:
Wufan wrote:I don't follow FCS football or non P5 FBS (or whatever it is now), but I do follow basketball. It is much easier and cheaper to be successful at basketball. Why not attempt to put a successful basketball team on the court?

If we're not going to move up in football, I'd be all for getting rid of FCS and joining ranks with WSU and going at it with just basketball.

For now, football drives everything and I would like a shot at moving up and seeing what happens.

MSU shattered the home attendance record today with 18,386 at the game. Football isn't going to be dropped.

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Asse ... 091143.jpg

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Asse ... 091115.jpg
da_bears
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby BEARZ77 » September 13th, 2014, 8:19 pm

It's always nice to hear from all the "experts" who know so much about what's going on at MSU and how we should conduct our business to meet their limited thinking. I have no idea how successful we will be in the pursuit of trying to move up football wise or in conference affiliation or sense of time frame. But we have a president who is sports minded and just oversaw a summer in which despite the economic limitations we built 3 new sports facilities, did a major renovation on our football stadium, a major upgrade to our academic support facilities for athletes and totally retooled the entire pregame tailgating experience at MSU in order to pursue those dreams. Just got back from our home opener for the football season and we had a school record 18,000+ fans; I guess time will tell.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » September 13th, 2014, 8:24 pm

I think it's great that you put 18000 in the stands, and I sincerely hope you are able to repeat that.

Who'd you play and did you win?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby da_bears » September 13th, 2014, 8:45 pm

Wufan wrote:I think it's great that you put 18000 in the stands, and I sincerely hope you are able to repeat that.

North Dakota of the Big Sky Conf. Bears won big 38-0.

Also, it'd be nice if you guys would bring back football.(I'm assuming your a WSU fan) Seriously, you guys can afford it now and I'd love the rivalry with you guys.
Last edited by da_bears on September 13th, 2014, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
da_bears
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby glm38 » September 13th, 2014, 8:47 pm

Wufan wrote:I think it's great that you put 18000 in the stands, and I sincerely hope you are able to repeat that.

We played North Dakota ( university). Bears won 38 - 0

What a great atmosphere we had for this game. And the renovated stadium is beautiful. I'm not really a big football guy but there's something wonderful about college football on a crisp fall evening.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball