What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

What happens next?

Wichita St leaves for a better league
40
37%
Missouri St, IllinoisSt, UNI move up to FBS
27
25%
MVC expands
40
37%
 
Total votes : 107

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby municup14 » March 14th, 2017, 4:42 am

How much success has Tulsa had by going to a bigger conference.
Sometimes bigger is not better.Also,has anyone noticed how Creighton
. doesnt play any ex valley teams :huh:
municup14
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player
 
Posts: 93
Joined: February 25th, 2016, 6:15 am

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby Wufan » March 14th, 2017, 5:40 am

municup14 wrote:How much success has Tulsa had by going to a bigger conference.
Sometimes bigger is not better.Also,has anyone noticed how Creighton
. doesnt play any ex valley teams :huh:


Tulsa went dancing last year. Being in a bigger conference does not garunteed success. See Northwestern. Being in a bigger conference does allow more margin for error and increases income. Both of those things increase the opportunity for success. If you suck, you get a little more money to do so and if you are good, you don't have to be as good (or as lucky) to make the NCAA tournament.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 4106
Joined: October 19th, 2010, 8:14 pm

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby Wufan » March 14th, 2017, 5:41 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:Wichita to American a done deal per Retire12.


I hope he knows more than caseygarrison.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 4106
Joined: October 19th, 2010, 8:14 pm

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby Snaggletooth » March 14th, 2017, 12:05 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:Wichita to American a done deal per Retire12.



Like a redbird fan would know before shocker fans. Once it is really a "done deal" the rumors would be out all over Wichita. There is no whispers in this town beyond what we read from a few click bait articles pushing the narative. Just look a CU, the rumors stared along time before it all became official. Not any smoke yet.
User avatar
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 1453
Joined: August 10th, 2010, 9:46 pm

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby municup14 » March 15th, 2017, 5:00 am

Nothing will be said until after the tournament.
If so,the Shockers will be in the MVC next year.
With everyone returning next year they will go out with
A bang by going undefeated in the conference.
I'm a Aces fan,so I'm not bragging.
As Joe Friday would say Just the facts mam. :bow: :bow:
municup14
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player
 
Posts: 93
Joined: February 25th, 2016, 6:15 am

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby All-MVC Fan » March 15th, 2017, 10:15 am

municup14 wrote:Nothing will be said until after the tournament.
If so,the Shockers will be in the MVC next year.
With everyone returning next year they will go out with
A bang by going undefeated in the conference.
I'm a Aces fan,so I'm not bragging.
As Joe Friday would say Just the facts mam. :bow: :bow:


I think you're right. And the saddest fact of all is the number of fans and coaches and administrators that will be happy to see them go. Rather than raise your own game, it's easier to "show the door" to the guy who raised his. And don't kid yourselves, the celebration will be because "now we'll have a chance to win!" Win in a lesser league. Don't up your game at all...

It's almost like these people are college administrators... :Violin:
All-MVC Fan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player
 
Posts: 81
Joined: April 13th, 2016, 9:56 am

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby BCPanther » March 15th, 2017, 12:04 pm

All-MVC Fan wrote:
municup14 wrote:Nothing will be said until after the tournament.
If so,the Shockers will be in the MVC next year.
With everyone returning next year they will go out with
A bang by going undefeated in the conference.
I'm a Aces fan,so I'm not bragging.
As Joe Friday would say Just the facts mam. :bow: :bow:


I think you're right. And the saddest fact of all is the number of fans and coaches and administrators that will be happy to see them go. Rather than raise your own game, it's easier to "show the door" to the guy who raised his. And don't kid yourselves, the celebration will be because "now we'll have a chance to win!" Win in a lesser league. Don't up your game at all...

It's almost like these people are college administrators... :Violin:


Creighton was just the start of the exodus from the league.

They took an offer no one could possibly say no to. Wichita is on a different planet resources wise and they've simply outgrown the Valley. UNI and Illinois State are going to need to find a true all-sports home. The MVFC is falling apart because of the Summit League schools and its just not sustainable long term. UNI and Illinois State can't drop football and would probably be better off in the MAC at this point, I know UNI has had discussions and I can't imagine we'd go alone. Bradley would, I think, be a candidate to join the A10 if they are trying to build a bridge to SLU.

That's going to leave the remaining schools some real tough decisions. Do you back fill with Horizon, Summit and OVC members and try to become the top low major? Do you join those other leagues? What do you do with football if you're Indiana State? Evansville seems like a natural to slide into the OVC.

The Valley as we know it won't exist in 10 years.
BCPanther
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 831
Joined: August 8th, 2010, 9:10 am

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby Cdizzle » March 15th, 2017, 12:16 pm

municup14 wrote:How much success has Tulsa had by going to a bigger conference.

Tulsa has been to the NCAA tournament 7 times since they left the Valley.

Tournament appearances as an MVC team in the same time period:
CU: 9
WSU: 7
UNI: 7
SIU: 6
Bradley: 1
Drake: 1
ISUr: 2
Evansville: 1
ISUb: 3
MSU: 1
LUC: 0

I'd say they are doing just fine. To say nothing of what they were able to try with their football program.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 2153
Joined: November 11th, 2010, 11:28 am

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby Redhawk » March 15th, 2017, 1:19 pm

BCPanther wrote:The Valley as we know it won't exist in 10 years.

I believe that to be true but the MAC is probably out of reach for ISUr and UNI right now and they aren't in a hurry to expand. The only hope would be for Doug Elgin to grow a pair and make some radical changes:

1) Convince the 4 Privates (Bradley, Drake, Loyola, Evansville) and the Horizon that they are a better fit for that conference.

2) Fold the MVFC into the MVC but without Youngstown State & Western Illinois.

That leaves 9 Football schools:
ISUr
ISUb
SIU
MSU
UNI
SD
SDSU
ND
NDSU

3) Add Omaha as a non football member to get to 10 which provides a bridge to the Dakotas and a nice round robin schedule for BBall.

4) To increase exposure and market size consider UMKC and UW-Milwaukee for 12 members.

On the surface this doesn't seem like the best course of action for ISUr and UNI but I ran the RPI numbers for this season. The revised 10 team MVC has a higher RPI than the current MVC with WSU in it!

This is a pipe dream because the Privates aren't leaving and Elgin would never force them too either!
Redhawk
MVC starter
MVC starter
 
Posts: 383
Joined: November 13th, 2015, 7:41 am

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby BCPanther » March 15th, 2017, 4:56 pm

Redhawk wrote:
BCPanther wrote:The Valley as we know it won't exist in 10 years.

I believe that to be true but the MAC is probably out of reach for ISUr and UNI right now and they aren't in a hurry to expand. The only hope would be for Doug Elgin to grow a pair and make some radical changes:

1) Convince the 4 Privates (Bradley, Drake, Loyola, Evansville) and the Horizon that they are a better fit for that conference.

2) Fold the MVFC into the MVC but without Youngstown State & Western Illinois.

That leaves 9 Football schools:
ISUr
ISUb
SIU
MSU
UNI
SD
SDSU
ND
NDSU

3) Add Omaha as a non football member to get to 10 which provides a bridge to the Dakotas and a nice round robin schedule for BBall.

4) To increase exposure and market size consider UMKC and UW-Milwaukee for 12 members.

On the surface this doesn't seem like the best course of action for ISUr and UNI but I ran the RPI numbers for this season. The revised 10 team MVC has a higher RPI than the current MVC with WSU in it!

This is a pipe dream because the Privates aren't leaving and Elgin would never force them too either!


UNI has no desire to be in a league with the Dakota schools long term. Their reciprocity agreements with the state of Minnesota puts us at a decided recruiting disadvantage in football. We could live with NDSU and SDSU but the others were forced on us.

UNI is already an affiliate member of the MAC for wrestling and there's said to be interest if they can find an Eastern team to balance adding UNI. Looking at you James Madison.

UNIs biggest problem it's that you can't pay a basketball coach $1 Million in what's basically going to be the Horizon League. The financials don't work.
BCPanther
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 831
Joined: August 8th, 2010, 9:10 am

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby MoValleyFan » March 15th, 2017, 7:22 pm

Redhawk wrote:
BCPanther wrote:The Valley as we know it won't exist in 10 years.

I believe that to be true but the MAC is probably out of reach for ISUr and UNI right now and they aren't in a hurry to expand. The only hope would be for Doug Elgin to grow a pair and make some radical changes:

1) Convince the 4 Privates (Bradley, Drake, Loyola, Evansville) and the Horizon that they are a better fit for that conference.

2) Fold the MVFC into the MVC but without Youngstown State & Western Illinois.

That leaves 9 Football schools:
ISUr
ISUb
SIU
MSU
UNI
SD
SDSU
ND
NDSU

3) Add Omaha as a non football member to get to 10 which provides a bridge to the Dakotas and a nice round robin schedule for BBall.

4) To increase exposure and market size consider UMKC and UW-Milwaukee for 12 members.

On the surface this doesn't seem like the best course of action for ISUr and UNI but I ran the RPI numbers for this season. The revised 10 team MVC has a higher RPI than the current MVC with WSU in it!

This is a pipe dream because the Privates aren't leaving and Elgin would never force them too either!



This is another good option but I think that the privates need to go elsewhere .... They can pay more for a coach and no one really cares .... Long Term for the Valley to continue they need to make some changes or they will become the OVC. As I previously mentioned I would recommend the following and include WIU as it appears they are making strides at returning to a quality FCS football program.

Drake Bradley Valpo Loyola Evansville Belmont Oral Roberts Throw in...SLU, Omaha, and UMKC

Then maybe you could "mirror" the MVC football and basketball with something like this....
NDSU UND SDSU USD MSU UNI WIU ISU EIU SIU INSU
MoValleyFan
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit
 
Posts: 18
Joined: March 5th, 2017, 9:03 pm

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby tribecalledquest » March 15th, 2017, 10:01 pm

Get back to me when UNI, SIU, ISU Red, ISU Blue and Mo State go BCS in football.

It aint happening.
tribecalledquest
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 956
Joined: August 4th, 2010, 10:57 am

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests


cron