What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

What happens next?

Wichita St leaves for a better league
37%
Missouri St, IllinoisSt, UNI move up to FBS
25%
MVC expands
37%

Total votes : 107

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby RacerJoeD » June 27th, 2017, 4:28 pm

Those schools haven't been a panacea for the WAC. I will stipulate that the Horizon is better (outside of NMSU and GCU) than the WAC. But I have to ask the question- If NMSU and GCU are such a homer of an add, Why haven't any West Coast conferences been sniffing around after them? Why are they still in the WAC?
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby VUGrad1314 » June 29th, 2017, 7:31 am

RacerJoeD wrote:Those schools haven't been a panacea for the WAC. I will stipulate that the Horizon is better (outside of NMSU and GCU) than the WAC. But I have to ask the question- If NMSU and GCU are such a homer of an add, Why haven't any West Coast conferences been sniffing around after them? Why are they still in the WAC?

This statement seems a bit unfair. If you're counting on two teams and only two teams to carry the water for a conference without any other team providing any support whatsoever by being even semi-respectable, the conference isn't going to look very good despite the best efforts of those two teams. What you're essentially saying is that the MVC shouldn't add Murray State or Belmont because in spite of the profile, prestige , and basketball power of those two schools, the OVC still sucks.

The conferences out West haven't made a play for these schools for a variety of reasons , few of which have to do with their basketball teams' on-court performance. Some of these may resonate with you, as they may speak to potential reasons why Murray State isn't in the MVC right now.

Before I begin, however, let me state that I was an ardent supporter of Murray State's candidacy, and feel that the Racers should have been added alongside Valpo; and I'm sorry that your current coach looks like a dud and is harming an otherwise sterling, decades-long performance record. Hopefully, he, or somebody else, can get things turned around in short order, and you guys can join us in this still-great mid-major conference. You'll always have my support (until we play you that is).

First, let's establish some general premises that most schools considering realignment must follow. Any move:
1. Must make geographic sense
2. Must make financial sense and
3. Must make competitive sense.

The converse must also be true for any conference accepting a new member . Any new member
1. Must make geographic sense
2. Must make financial sense and
3. Must make competitive sense

Other factors such as school size academic profile and residential profile are also considered and any of the aforementioned factors may be more or less important depending on the situation. For example, Wichita State's move to the AAC was primarily about the Shockers making competitive sense for the AAC Although each of those factors played a role such as the fact that the AAC schools are city-based R2 schools, just like Wichita State . The Valley's approach struck me as similarly holistic, while the schools--namely Valpo and Murray State-- were driven by competition , finances, and academic \residential profile, and the Horizon's move for IUPUI seemed to stress geography though the campus profile fits the conference well and the move checked all the boxes for the school

Now, the reasons GCU and NMSU have not attracted a lot of interest out west vary, although they have some that overlap:

Issues Hindering realignment for NMSU and GCU:

1. Lack of Options: (both schools)

As things presently stand, these schools don't really have anywhere else to go. These schools only really make sense as a tandem add (unless GCU which doesn't have football goes with Denver ) but Denver doesn't move the needle for any basketball conference and schools may be reluctant to add them, even with GCU as the prize because of this). The two schools don't make a ton of sense as travel partners but they aren't horrible. But realistically these schools can only hope to join The Summit The WCC or maybe a super-ambitious MVC That has already expanded its footprint into at least Texas\Oklahoma. Not likely to happen. The only league that has shown interest , the Horizon League , will meet with stiff resistance from cash strapped member schools who don't want the added travel burden if this move is discussed, despite the increase in basketball profile these schools bring. Conversely, much like Murray State, these schools can't be too thrilled about the prospect of committing significant financial resources to a move to a Valpo-less Horizon League . The competitive benefit just isn't there.

2. Travel (Both schools)

Any league, even the WCC, which is the closest conference that provides a meaningful enough competition boost, would add significantly to its travel budget to bring these teams in. I think the conference can handle it given the potential benefit but each school presents at least one major issue that would give even the WCC pause as I will explain below.

3. Reluctance of certain conferences to expand beyond current membership levels.(Both Schools)

Sound familiar? It's the reason Murray\Valpo was an either\or proposition for the MVC, as was Evansville \Butler back in the '90's. Leagues that make geographic sense, such as the MWC aren't open to these schools because they aren't open to expansion at this time . The chief reason for this is likely because they want to maintain membership flexibility for the next big realignment event in a few years, in case something even more appealing comes available . That said, there's a chance these schools may be involved in that realignment in some way.

4. Football This is THE sport that drives most every realignment except for the current mini-realignment of this offseason involving Wichita State, Valp, and IUPUI. Football may also have been a major reason why Valpo edged out Murray. Our program , such as it is, was completely unaffected by the conference move, and as such, was in a great position to handle this move. It's much easier for a school with a Pioneer League team or no team to move on short notice than a team having to move from one FCS Conference to another Anyway , both NMSU and GCU face issues related to football , albeit for different reasons.

4A. Football and the quality thereof (NMSU)

If I had to speculate I would guess that the ultimate goal of the Aggies is to get into the Mountain West joining in-state rival New Mexico and several former conference mates from the WAC after the MWC lost several football members to the Pac 12 (Utah) Big 12 (TCU) and Independent status (BYU), however Aggie football absolutely sucks. They haven't had a winning season since 2002 and haven't won more than 4 games in any season since 2004 and that's in the Sun Belt. No league is going to take on that kind of mediocrity, especially not a league that struggles to get a seat at the table with the big boys as is. Their basketball team could hold their own in the MWC, but the conference isn't going to add basketball only members that would take them out of any future realignment discussions. And if they did, you can bet that Gonzaga and St Mary's would get calls before either school. I suppose Conference USA could be an option for NMSU for both sports, but that's a big travel headache, needs a companion addition (and no other candidate has footbal ) and the conference is already at 14 teams anyway so they're probably reluctant to add more.

4B. Football and the lack thereof (GCU)

Not having football , or at least D1 football limits your options when it comes to finding a conference, and to get the attention of basketball-only conferences, you have to be pretty good. AND in most expansion scenarios that use even numbers even if you're a good enough addition yourself you need an acceptable companion addition usually within reasonable distance of your own institution. I'd say the upper limit for what constitutes a reasonable distance for a travel partner is about four hours. Maybe six in truly desperate circumstances . Add in the geographic hardship of being out west, with its relative paucity of schools and teams and the list of conferences that can take you is small indeed. As I said , realistically you're down to the Summit the WCC or a midwestern league post-unlikely grand westward expansion. Of these options,only the WCC provides enough benefit to make a jump, and even THEN there are potential complications.

5. Institutional Profile Another major issue governing realignment is a school's institutional profile. Schools often seek to congregate with and coalesce around other likeminded universities that share a common set of core values. Therefore whether a school is public or private Religious or secular large or small , commuter-based or residential , urban rural or suburban and its research classification matter greatly in realignment issues. Even if we accept that the WCC is the best even semi-realistic landing spot for NMSU and GCU, they both require some degree of exception-making and plunge-taking And again, the biggest reason why has absolutely NOTHING to do with basketball

5A. Public Status (NMSU)
New Mexico State University's status as a public institution would not be an issue for most conferences, but it may be for the WCC, a conference exclusively of private schools.Once an exception is made, it cannot be unmade and is likely to be made again . Should the WCC grant NMSU this exception knowing that the Aggies would bolt to the Mountain West at the first hint of an opportunity? That depends on how real the desire is of Gonzaga and perhaps BYU to bolt for Greener pastures. Would New Mexico State want to join a conference that isn't a super ideal geographic fit with institutions with which it has precious little in common? That depends on how eager the Aggies are to increase their basketball profile. Since the latter is true , as evidenced by NMSU's flirtation with the Horizon League and I can only assume that the former is also true especially as the specter of realignment continues to loom and the rumors of Gonzaga jumping ship persist, as adding this caliber of program may forestall any movement from the conference.

5B. For-Profit status (GCU)

GCU being a private school makes it a great WCC candidate. Its for-profit status, however, may give member schools pause. They may not like the optics of adding a school whose values by virtue of being for profit, run counter to what are at least the stated values of the NCAA. The conference members may also worry that the same fate that befell the other 9 MVC members when Wichita's Koch money was still around would happen to them. With a school like Gonzaga and other established powers like St Mary's and BYU as well as strong brand names like San Francisco and Pepperdine around, that scenario is unlikely to come to pass , although the concern is a valid one It's one thing for a conference fighting for its very survival to take on a school like GCU, even for a conference struggling to maintain national relevance like the Horizon, but what about a conference that's already stable , established , and strong?

Ultimately, I think Gonzaga will have whatever it desires. If they want NMSU and GCU in the WCC to increase conference strength and make it a probable 3-4 bid league, it will happen, optics and exceptions be damned. I think the WCC are waiting out what rival leagues do before making a move . If they sense a challenge from one or more leagues, or if they sense that the WAC is breaking up for good, they'll try to strengthen themselves to guard against future realignment. In any WCC expansion, rest assured that NMSU and GCU will be the first calls. The upside of these programs is very real.

6. Stability

In realignment , a candidate school must be stable; just as a candidate school hopes that the league they are joining is stable. Both sides need to be reasonably certain of what they're getting; but just as there's
no perfect add, there is no perfect league. Both sides simply need to find the schools and leagues that best suit them and provide the best combination of the factors outlined in this post. For reference, this is one area where Murray State probably graded out ahead of Valpo, though the last few years make it very close , as KenPom attests.In short, all realignment requires to some degree a leap of faith. The league counts on the new member to help it stay strong; and the new member counts on the league to stay strong through the other members doing their part. Generally speaking, both sides hold up the bargain just fine, and there is little real reason to believe that Wichita State, Valpo, and Murray State, New Mexico State, and GCU should the latter three also switch leagues someday won't do just that.

All of the leagues mentioned in this post, with the exception of the WAC and possibly the Summit are stable. Adding NMSU and GCU would do wonders for the stability of the Summit League, but as I've said , a move to the Summit is unlikely for either school. There's just not enough there for them competitively. And although both programs offer considerable upside, remember that one cannot subsist on upside alone. As the legendary John Thompson said "potential will get you fired." each has reasons for doubt as a stable addition.

6A. New Coach (NMSU)

Anytime a new coach is hired, the stability and culture of a program are tested. Good programs like Murray State Valpo Wichita State, Northern Iowa, and Butler to name a few examples,handle these transitions well and the program keeps moving. If a mistake is made, it is corrected quickly to avoid lasting damage to the program. New Mexico State has survived multiple coaching changes more or less unscathed as a program and there is no reason yet to doubt the new hire, although time will tell. Of the two, New Mexico State is the more stable program with their proven track record of D1 success, something GCU, for all its upside, lacks. I will say this,though, losing your coach to your in-state rival that had a vastly inferior record and was rocked by scandal isn't a great look, but the Aggies as a program deserve the benefit of any doubt.

6B. Lack of a proven D1 Track record (GCU)

If NMSU is the safer, more stable play, GCU is the more exciting , flashier, higher upside play . Numerous college basketball observers have pegged Grand Canyon University as the next great mid-major power on the order of Gonzaga, Butler, or Xavier ,or Wichita State. And why not ? They seem to have everything going for them:Big market , top notch facilities, passionate fan base , deep pockets, a talented roster, and an ex-NBA player as Head Coach. They're getting talked up as a realignment add based on their upside alone. Unfortunately for them, their greatest selling point is simultaneously their greatest hindrance. It's all upside, it's all theoretical, and they've proven nothing. Myriad reasons abound on why you should believe the hype that the potential is real , but until they're a consistent top 100 team (Note they've already done it once) and notching tournament appearances and wins, I can understand some apprehension; especially from a league like the WCC or the MVC, but equally unproven teams boasting far less potential than this one have been added to better leagues than the WAC. I'd bet on the optimistic side on this one and expect that the Lopes will begin their ascent sooner rather than later. Whoever gets in on the ground floor with GCU will be glad they did. No two schools potentially available to any mid major conference --not even Belmont or Murray State nor Loyola or Valpo before them possess greater potential to positively impact the fortunes of a conference than these two southwestern teams; and you can take this to the bank: If they were anywhere near the current MVC footprint, they'd already be members and you, me, and every other Horizon League and OVC fan would be on the outside looking in, hoping to one day get a seat at the MVC table.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RacerJoeD » June 29th, 2017, 7:52 am

I think the difference is that the OVC has NCAA wins in its current iteration.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » June 29th, 2017, 9:41 am

RacerJoeD wrote:I think the difference is that the OVC has NCAA wins in its current iteration.

I think you're a good poster and have nothing against you, but your dismissive reply to a post I worked very hard on and put a lot of thought into ticks me off a little; what's more, it's factually inaccurate.

First off,of course NMSU and GCU aren't a panacea for the WAC because no such thing exists. There is no saving that conference, and I bet even the WAC Commissioner would tell you this in an off the record moment of candor away from media. That doesn't mean, however, that there aren't any worthwhile programs that can help strengthen a mid-major conference, which was one of the central points of my post.

Now on to your reply...

Okay, the OVC isn't a terrible conference. Then why are your AD and fanbase stumping so hard to leave it despite being a charter member of the conference? I'm very dismayed that that's all you took from my post. You wanted an explanation as to why opposing conferences are reluctant to add these schools and conclude that they must not be great teams. I demonstrate why that conclusion is false, outlining several reasons that have nothing to do with basketball to explain the reluctance of other conferences to add these schools, but you choose to hone in on the one part of my post where I take a small swipe at your current conference--a conference many in your fanbase seem to hate and want nothing more to do with. I invite anyone to read the post from you that I quoted and then the first paragraph of my long post and tell me that they don't draw a similar conclusion to the one I drew.

You're trying to have it both ways. "We need a better conference but look at all these tournament wins from a time before Belmont joined." So actually no the OVC has zero tournament wins in its current iteration just like the number of times Murray's been to the dance in the OVC's current setup. You're also 2-5 against Belmont since they've joined including 0-2 in the conference tournament and have finished ahead of the Bruins exactly once. If Murray State gets in to the MVC one day and I sincerely hope they do those old tournament wins aren't going to be the reason why. It'll be because you finally started beating Belmont and reclaimed the mantle of the conference that you've so clearly lost.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RacerJoeD » June 29th, 2017, 10:20 am

There is no way to effectively prove a negative in most situations. What my points have been is that there is a strange belief that somehow for every conference in the Midwest, the two best teams to try to get are GCU and NMSU. What I've been looking to get is a reason besides "they spend money" as for to why. I didn't disagree with your post, but what it did do is further prove my point. (Why interrupt when someone is making your point for you?)

The biggest issue facing mid major conferences is travel cost. That is a major negative for most conferences and should be as would you rather spend money on increased travel or on facilities, coaches, etc?

The assumption is that those schools will increase competition in a conference, but as you do eloquently stated, GCU has no track record to point to and NMSU has no real recent success.

Nothing about NMSU (and to a far lesser extent GCU) screams stability. NMSU has bounced from conference to conference for decades and is looking to bounce again. Perhaps GCU can join with Abilene Christian in the Southland. Maybe NMSU should try for the MWC. Either way, a horrible add for a conference like the Horizon or even the MVC IMO.

I disagree with football being the major driver for realignment. That may be true for the Big 12, but for the Horizon? But that doesn't really matter to the conversation at hand.

If the two teams can't be the reason why the WAC gets better, why would they be the reason the Horizon gets better? Or the MVC for that matter? Especially when one takes into account all the resasons you listed.

Now to answer your question as to why Murray State wants to leave the OVC.

1. It's not a bad conference, but it's not a good conference. The conference leadership (and the associated school's leadership) doesn't seem to have any desire to get better.

2. Academically, we do not fit. Way too many APR infractions in the OVC.

3. We are a basketball school looking for a basketball conference.

4. We are geographically nearby, meaning we can keep our money going into our programs instead of into travel.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » July 5th, 2017, 9:33 am

RacerJoeD wrote:
I disagree with football being the major driver for realignment. That may be true for the Big 12, but for the Horizon? But that doesn't really matter to the conversation at hand.

If the two teams can't be the reason why the WAC gets better, why would they be the reason the Horizon gets better? Or the MVC for that matter? Especially when one takes into account all the resasons you listed.

Football is still a massive driver of realignment at the MVC, Summit, OVC and HL levels. Most of the fans at this level are just too blind/ignorant to acknowledge and see it.

To show you how intertwined this all is I will involve the OVC, Summit, WAC, MVC, MVFC and potentially D2 and the NEC all from one move - Valpo to the MVC. A "non-football" school moving to a non-football conference.

1. Valpo moves to the MVC leaving a spot in the HL - a non football league

2. As part of the move the MVC indicates that a move to 12 is imminent and the heaviest favorite for spot 11 is a football school from the OVC - Murray State. Likely a portion of the reason the MVC didn't go to 12 with Murray State up from is the OVC not willing to let football stay an affiliate member and the MVFC no ready to add another member as soon as would be needed. (We'll get back to this real soon)

3. As a reaction to Valpo leaving the Horizon is exploring it's options - and added 1 already in IUPUI. That means the Summit (a conference already on the ledge of disaster due to the FB/non FB and geography split they are facing) is down a member. It seems far too logical to pass that IPFW isn't far behind on the Horizon train. That hurts the Summit even more - doubly so as IPFW as they play baseball and them leaving puts the Summit at 5 baseball schools, which triggers a 2 year probation period to get back to 6 baseball schools or lose the autobid.

Here's were it gets confusing and football really starts to play in as the Summit/OVC/WAC and even Big Sky start to come into it

4. The Summit is in trouble. They need baseball schools and members. Quality would be nice, but they likely won't get to be too picky. This likely is where the WAC and Summit try to cannibalize each other, with the Summit probably "winning". UMKC, UTRGV, Chicago State and the WAC disolving into the SL and WCC.

OR the Dakota's get what they want - and are pushing for - the Summit adds football as a sport. That means USD, SDSU, NDSU and UND (joining in 2020) are all gone from the MVFC. They likely grab Southern Utah, Northern Colorado, Weber State and maybe Cal Poly as a FB only member, and recreate the old Great West conference. This would also test NMSU's desire to continue FBS as an independant. The new SL would likely go after NMSU and GCU as well. This would have a massive impact in a couple ways

The WAC is dead. The Big Sky got smaller and lost football schools. The Missouri Valley is "okay", but the MVFC (an by proxy) got a bit shakey. Not too bad, but a bid. There are still enough members left for an autobid with UNI, SIU, ISUR, ISUB, YSU, MSU. It's possible that WIU gets to hang around as a 7th member as well - if the HL takes them with IPFW as part of their expansion

WIU won't be able to afford sending their teams to Utah, Arizona, Colorado, etc... multiple times per year. The Horizon makes sense for everyone.

The MVC then has an easier path to take Murray State as the football side opens up easier. That would give the MVFC 8 teams - UNI, SIU, ISUX2, MSU X2, YSU, and WIU. Best case would be for the MVC to add Stephen F Austin along with Murray State. That gives 9 football members (perfect number) to the MVFC and 12 to the MVC. Make football an MVC sport at that point. Start to insulate the schools from outside factors - like having half you members in a one sport conference that could implode at any moment because it's made of 3 other conferences (HL, MVC and SL).

Better yet, Drake and Valpo nut up and play big boy D1 football with the rest of us then add a school like UALR or UT-Arlington with Murray State. But that will never happen.

The OVC might grab WIU when Murray State becomes a MVC/MVFC member. They might grab a D2 move up. They could grab some ASUN/NEC teams (just like the HL)to fill holes in their membership.

I know that sounds extreme, but's not. The SL and WAC are on utter life support and when they implode it's going to get rocky around the MM level - and football will drive it to a large extent.

It's why I hate the MVC - especially Drake, UE, Bradley and possibly Valpo's stance on football schools. They see it as nothing except a drain that holds ADs back - yet as we've shown many times it's the schools with that attitude killing the MVC the last decade.

What the MVC should do is this

Bradley
Drake
Evansville
Illinois State
Indiana State
Loyola
Missouri State
Northern Iowa
Southern Illinois
Valpo

PLUS
Murray State
Stephan F Austin

Let the Summit schools take their programs elsewhere. Have an MVFC of
Illinois State
Indiana State
Missouri State
Murray State
Northern Iowa
Southern Illinois
Stephan F Austin
Youngstown State
Western Illinois - if they can work into the HL.

That's a real good basketball conference.
It's a good enough football conference for what it would need to be.
It keeps football schools happy.
The basketball side should be happy with additions like Valpo, Murray State and SFA to the basketball side of things.
Murray State and SFA have baseball.
SFA half gives Missouri State a semi regional travel partner.

However, we know that Drake and Evansville will never go for that.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UEACES80 » July 5th, 2017, 10:51 am

I appreciate the time and effort of your post and find a lot of credence in it but do you realize that Nacogdoches TX and Springfield, MO are 500 miles apart.

I live in the Houston area and SFA isn't even all that easy for us to get there.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby mvfcfan » July 5th, 2017, 1:54 pm

Thanks uniftw for explaining why we need to add NDSU and SDSU ASAP!!!

If the Summit League adds football then we are screwed. If we add NDSU and SDSU, who cares what happens to the Summit League or what the Summit League does? Even if we lost YSU, WIU, USD, and UND we would still have 7 teams in the conference at the very worst. I say realistically the worst case scenario would be 9 because I doubt YSU and WIU are going anywhere soon.

Really I think WIU and IPFW both end up in the Horizon League at some point very soon. (WIU joining the Horizon has no effect on them being in the MVFC.)
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » July 5th, 2017, 2:44 pm

mvfcfan wrote:Thanks uniftw for explaining why we need to add NDSU and SDSU ASAP!!!

If the Summit League adds football then we are screwed. If we add NDSU and SDSU, who cares what happens to the Summit League or what the Summit League does? Even if we lost YSU, WIU, USD, and UND we would still have 7 teams in the conference at the very worst. I say realistically the worst case scenario would be 9 because I doubt YSU and WIU are going anywhere soon.

Really I think WIU and IPFW both end up in the Horizon League at some point very soon. (WIU joining the Horizon has no effect on them being in the MVFC.)

What I showed is the MVFC doesn't need the Dakotas - or Summit.

Take SDSU, USD, NDSU out - remember, UND isn't a member for until 2020 and we are at 7 schools. Murray State joining is 8. We are only 1 off of the magic number - and that's where the conference making football a MVC sport comes into play and we can look at places like SFA (though I'm not sure about their long term stability), NMSU, etc...

The reality is, the Summit is screwed when it comes to football and they need us more than we need them. They don't have enough teams to start a league. 6 teams are needed for an autobid. Right now they have USD, SDSU, NDSU, WIU and we'll even put UND in there. That's only 5. They need football teams to join their conference to make it happen. You aren't going to run a league at 6 teams. That's 5-6 OOC games per year. That's impossible to schedule. The reality is 7 is minimum to make it work and 9 is ideal.

For Summit football to become a thing, many things have to happen. The NCAA needs to grant a waiver for it to be allowed. I'm not sure the NCAA would do so. The Summit has been on the NCAA's radar for conference instability for a decade now. They've had to get multiple waivers from the NCAA to keep their autobids in all sports due to falling under minimum teams playing the sport. They, if they lose another baseball school, are in danger of being within 2 years of the NCAA not giving them any autobids as it would knock the number of autosports bids, as a conference, under the minimum required to get autobids from the NCAA.

Let's look at realistic Summit League football options - remember this is no longer a 1 sport league like the MVFC. This is moving into the world of all sports conference

Existing football:
UND
NDSU
SDSU
USD
WIU

Existing non-football (I'm removing IPFW instantly as they are gone within 2 years)
UN-O
ORU
Denver

So you're at an 8 team conference that is still one team shy of a football autobid (if the NCAA grants it). You need at least 1 more school. 2 more gets you the perfect basketball set up. You need 4 more for the ideal football set up - which is what they would go for.

Likely targets: need 4 of them
Southern Utah
Northern Colorado
Weber State
Northern Arizona
Cal Poly
Eastern Illinois
Montana
Montana State
Idaho
Idaho State
New Mexico State

Of those these are the schools they have a realistic chance at landing:
Southern Utah
Northern Colorado
Weber State
Cal Poly - football only

EIU isn't going to join a conference with that foot print.
Montana/Montana State/Idaho/Idaho State/Northern Arizona aren't leaving the Big Sky. The first four of those are basically connected at the hip and won't be leaving. NAU loves to play tag along with them.
NMSU isn't giving up on the idea of FBS football.

That puts them at 8 football members and 11 total members. Ah, but then remember, WIU also isn't going to play in an all sports conference that ranges from Ogden UT to Salt Lake City to Fargo to Oklahoma

That puts them back at 10 members with 7 football members (it also likely keeps the MVFC at 8 members - WIU, UNI, SIU, ISUR, ISUB, MSU, MSU, YSU. 8 Isn't ideal but it can work.

That's assuming SUU, WSU and UNC want to leave the Big Sky Rivalries that they've built. Oh, it's also ignoring that UND just left the Big Sky (SUU, UNC, WSU, NAU, etc...) because that travel budget was crippling their university.

Summit League football needs so many things to happen that it simply won't - unless the MVC forces their hands and does the right thing moving forward - which won't happen.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Mikovio » July 5th, 2017, 8:15 pm

uniftw wrote:It's why I hate the MVC - especially Drake, UE, Bradley and possibly Valpo's stance on football schools. They see it as nothing except a drain that holds ADs back - yet as we've shown many times it's the schools with that attitude killing the MVC the last decade.

Only 3 times in the last 10 years has a non-football team not won the Valley title, and not since 2011. Creighton and Wichita rode their success to greener pastures. If SIU wasn't spending money on football maybe they could buy out Barry. If Indiana State wasn't spending money on football maybe they could buy out Lansing. FCS football is a waste. If we're lucky maybe we'll go to Paris Texas! Yippee!
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball