What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

What happens next?

Wichita St leaves for a better league
37%
Missouri St, IllinoisSt, UNI move up to FBS
25%
MVC expands
37%

Total votes : 107

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby AndShock » October 5th, 2017, 10:26 pm

It's hard to quantify the exact value of football. I went to high school with a lot of people that went to K-State mostly because of football and the college atmosphere and experience that comes with it. I don't know how much that factors into prospective college students at the FCS level, but it probably has some effect.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » October 5th, 2017, 11:24 pm

AndShock wrote:It's hard to quantify the exact value of football. I went to high school with a lot of people that went to K-State mostly because of football and the college atmosphere and experience that comes with it. I don't know how much that factors into prospective college students at the FCS level, but it probably has some effect.

It does.

It's been referenced before, but UNI did a study in 09/10 and it found that if football was cut enrollment would take a dramatic drop - to the point that, IIRC, they said it would basically cripple the univerty's ability to operate at a level other than D3 or NAIA.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rally » October 6th, 2017, 3:09 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Don't know where to put this so here it is. Value of top college football team is Ohio state at 1.5-BILLION. Top in basket is (was) Louisville at 45-million

That's comparing different valuations from Forbes and WSJ. The WSJ which values OSU Football at $1.5 billion has the most valuable being Kentucky basketball at $342.6 million.
rally
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » October 6th, 2017, 4:13 pm

rally wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Don't know where to put this so here it is. Value of top college football team is Ohio state at 1.5-BILLION. Top in basket is (was) Louisville at 45-million

That's comparing different valuations from Forbes and WSJ. The WSJ which values OSU Football at $1.5 billion has the most valuable being Kentucky basketball at $342.6 million.

That's makes a little more sense.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ali » October 28th, 2017, 1:20 pm

Has it ever been reported what portion of the AAC television deal is granted to WSU? I assume most of the limited TV contract is for football which they won't see a penny of.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » October 28th, 2017, 3:38 pm

Methinks the move was made predominantly for the purposes of tournament revenue and seeding. Wichita State will find the move financially rewarding I'm sure, though perhaps not as much as they had hoped. I remember the reported entrance costs associated with the Shockers move to the AAC were staggering
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » October 28th, 2017, 6:26 pm

I'm sure Charles Koch had no problem paying the entrance cost. He probably found the money in his couch cushions.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » October 28th, 2017, 7:49 pm

Ali wrote:Has it ever been reported what portion of the AAC television deal is granted to WSU? I assume most of the limited TV contract is for football which they won't see a penny of.

The current deal ends in 2020, we aren't getting anything until then. The slice will be considerably smaller than the other AAC schools, but we are expecting to get a slice.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ShoxNAwe » November 4th, 2017, 11:25 am

Does the AAC have to pay to get games on TV?
ShoxNAwe
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby mvfcfan » November 10th, 2017, 8:17 am

AndShock wrote:
Ali wrote:Has it ever been reported what portion of the AAC television deal is granted to WSU? I assume most of the limited TV contract is for football which they won't see a penny of.

The current deal ends in 2020, we aren't getting anything until then. The slice will be considerably smaller than the other AAC schools, but we are expecting to get a slice.

Haha I hope all the relevant AAC schools are gone by 2020. Would make my day to see Wichita stuck in some terrible league having to play teams in NC and FL and barely get any money from TV.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball