What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

What happens next?

Wichita St leaves for a better league
37%
Missouri St, IllinoisSt, UNI move up to FBS
25%
MVC expands
37%

Total votes : 107

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby TheAsianSensation » December 15th, 2016, 2:51 pm

I'm more worried now than I was in previous incarnations of this story, because of the Big 12. The AAC was always under poach watch, but after the shenanigans the Big 12 pulled this year....tough to see anyone in the Big 5 expanding anytime soon. UConn and Cincy are locked into that conference for a few years at least, which stabilizes the situation a bit.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Blers » December 15th, 2016, 3:42 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
All-MVC Fan wrote:I hate to think that Elgin and the presidents would let this happen without putting up a fight (i.e.going after some great basketball schools in an effort to keep WSU)

We saw the league's approach to this 4 years ago. The league added Loyola.

I wanted to make a joke about how some crazy person gave us an AP vote and that we're 1-0 in head to heads vs Creighton since the switch..... but even I can't fathom how we managed to be selected to join the conference. It's actually nuts. Helped our program immensely though so I'm not complaining about it.

Would hate to see WSU go, but ultimately i completely understand the desire to do so.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » December 15th, 2016, 4:03 pm

Blers wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:
All-MVC Fan wrote:I hate to think that Elgin and the presidents would let this happen without putting up a fight (i.e.going after some great basketball schools in an effort to keep WSU)

We saw the league's approach to this 4 years ago. The league added Loyola.

I wanted to make a joke about how some crazy person gave us an AP vote and that we're 1-0 in head to heads vs Creighton since the switch..... but even I can't fathom how we managed to be selected to join the conference. It's actually nuts. Helped our program immensely though so I'm not complaining about it.

Would hate to see WSU go, but ultimately i completely understand the desire to do so.

I love that Loyola beat Creighton. And I'm happy that they are doing well enough this year that someone threw them a vote. And I certainly do not begrudge their fanbase. But it's just....not, big time college basketball. Maybe it will be in 25 years. I hope so. Good for Loyola if it happens.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Blers » December 15th, 2016, 4:18 pm

Oh no way. It's totally not big time basketball as much as I would love it to be. I feel like i've definitely seen progress; but there's a loooooooong way to go in terms of establishing the attention/donors/culture and sustained success (or ultimately any success past the 80's... a CBI victory and a couple good weeks against weak competitions isn't a whole lot from the wide view).
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UEACES80 » December 15th, 2016, 4:37 pm

Loyola has 1 National Championship in D1 and no one else in the Valley can say that. Bradley lost the title game twice and Indy State once. WSU was a game away for playing for the title. Butler though not a MVC team came out of nowhere to be a presence so things can change. Let's all root for each other and stop the chippy comments about each other. I hope WSU doesn't leave but it is the choice of the WSU Admin and if they do we will just have to band together move forward. Some names to consider for expansion are Valpo, UND, USD, SDSU, UDM, Oakland, Milwaukee and Belmont.

Bottomline it will always be hard to beat the P5 schools let alone the Bluebloods of those P5's such as Duke, UNC, UK, KU, UCLA and IU.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » December 15th, 2016, 4:48 pm

UEACES80 wrote:Bottomline it will always be hard to beat the P5 schools let alone the Bluebloods of those P5's such as Duke, UNC, UK, KU, UCLA and IU.

WSU is not having trouble beating P5 schools, including those bluebloods. There is a difference in mindset and view of college basketball landscape here that is difficult to overcome.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PurpleAcesFootball » December 15th, 2016, 4:51 pm

Per reports

Is there an actual link to this rumor?

Losing WSU would be bad for the conference, without a doubt. The only chance of survival in that case would be to bring in the MVFC members. Otherwise it would be OVC/Summit 1-bid mediocrity for sure.
PurpleAcesFootball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Cdizzle » December 15th, 2016, 5:06 pm

PurpleAcesFootball wrote:
Per reports

Is there an actual link to this rumor?

Losing WSU would be bad for the conference, without a doubt. The only chance of survival in that case would be to bring in the MVFC members. Otherwise it would be OVC/Summit 1-bid mediocrity for sure.

There is an article from a made up sounding website, but written by a legit CBB writer, Jon Rothstein, who sources coaches and members of the AAC. Note that no one on either side is saying anything is actually happening. But it's the first that's ever been reported about a conference actually considering WSU from the side of said conference.

http://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/sources ... ition-aac/
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » December 15th, 2016, 8:48 pm

I trust Rothstein as a legit writer when it comes to CBB. Obviously, I hope this happens so we can reunite with Valley foes from yesteryear like Memphis, Tulsa and Cincinnati.

If this does happen, the MVC should absolutely go after the XDSU's and play at 11 or add a 12th like Valpo or whoever. I'm sure if it were a move to 12 the last addition would have to be a private. Maybe they'd make another play at a big city and go with Detroit. If the MVC doesn't consider the XDSU's it's a major mistake. Personally, I think the MVC dropped the ball by not going to 12 while CU was still here. They dropped it again when they didn't move to 12 after CU left by targeting stronger basketball schools. I'm sure they'll drop the ball again should Wichita leave and will add UIC or SIU-E. The MVC is totally a reactive conference and rather than adding from a position of strength they won't do anything until they've been weakened.

If the Elgin and company drag their feet, I hope UNI and others can find landing spots elsewhere. The MVC has been a find conference, but I fear for its future from a strength standpoint. We know that there are a few schools that at least have plans/ideas on moving conferences. It takes a conference to be willing to take you as well as we know in Wichita, but I've seen reports/studies in the past about UNI, ISUr and MSU for sure.

If all of them left, maybe Evansville would finally have a chance :twisted:
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » December 16th, 2016, 8:50 am

So, would this move to the AAC be for ONLY basketball for WSU? Would that mean that WSU's other sports remain in the Valley? How does that work?

You would think these conferences would look at adding all sports in the conference swap...
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball