What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

What happens next?

Wichita St leaves for a better league
37%
Missouri St, IllinoisSt, UNI move up to FBS
25%
MVC expands
37%

Total votes : 107

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » July 26th, 2017, 9:43 pm

Is basketball contracting to 6 schools?
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby VUGrad1314 » July 28th, 2017, 3:53 pm

Not that I have heard or seen. The Summit league football thing was a passing worried offseason thought. Meanwhile in the OVC...

https://twitter.com/boettger_eli/status ... 2419542016

It simply boggles my mind why Belmont or any other decent program would want to cling to that conference. And it certainly explains why Murray State wants to leave. Hopefully both programs will join the MVC in short order. 187 transfers in 5 years is a rate of turnover that would make even Muller and Wardle blush.

https://twitter.com/Sports_Aaron/status ... 4595287040
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvfcfan » July 28th, 2017, 4:14 pm

I started a thread on the NKU message board to see what their thoughts were on joining the MVC. It's not too lively of a place, but the few fans that did comment seem happy with the Horizon. Two the three said that they want to stay in the Horizon rather than go MVC, while one said he doesn't think NKU would go for it because of their exit fee. I'm not sure how much that would be.

http://www.norsefans.com/phpBB3/viewtop ... p=440#p440

I'm planning on starting a similar thread on the NDSU and SDSU sites to see what their thoughts are. I just have to get my new accounts approved first. I'll probably post one on the Oral Roberts site eventually as well. We all know how Murray State fans feel about it (they want in) and how Belmont and St Louis fans feel (they don't want in).
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » July 28th, 2017, 4:31 pm

Surprised to hear that reaction from NKU though the financial argument makes sense. I am reasonably sure that one of your respondents is a jealous UIC fan. This "belief" that the Horizon League is on a better path than the Valley is just sour grapes and is based on nothing. I really am surprised to hear that Belmont fans don't want in, I thought that was just the position of the administration.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvfcfan » July 28th, 2017, 4:48 pm

VUGrad1314 wrote:Surprised to hear that reaction from NKU though the financial argument makes sense. I am reasonably sure that one of your respondents is a jealous UIC fan. This "belief" that the Horizon League is on a better path than the Valley is just sour grapes and is based on nothing. I really am surprised to hear that Belmont fans don't want in, I thought that was just the position of the administration.

Well I could be wrong about the Belmont fans, but Belmont itself clearly isn't that interested. Does Belmont even have a board? I really haven't ever heard any opinions from any of their fans. St Louis on the other hand is not interested and their fans aren't very interested either.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » July 28th, 2017, 5:33 pm

mvfcfan wrote:I started a thread on the NKU message board to see what their thoughts were on joining the MVC. It's not too lively of a place, but the few fans that did comment seem happy with the Horizon. Two the three said that they want to stay in the Horizon rather than go MVC, while one said he doesn't think NKU would go for it because of their exit fee. I'm not sure how much that would be.

http://www.norsefans.com/phpBB3/viewtop ... p=440#p440

I'm planning on starting a similar thread on the NDSU and SDSU sites to see what their thoughts are. I just have to get my new accounts approved first. I'll probably post one on the Oral Roberts site eventually as well. We all know how Murray State fans feel about it (they want in) and how Belmont and St Louis fans feel (they don't want in).

One of the two is a UIC fan though.

I haven't seen a Belmont board anywhere either.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » August 1st, 2017, 12:33 am

Just still can't fathom how a team willing to schedule this ambitiously doesn't want to finish off what would be a fantastic schedule by upgrading their in-conference competition.

http://www.belmontbruins.com/sports/m-b ... 8/schedule
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » August 1st, 2017, 8:04 am

VUGrad1314 wrote:Just still can't fathom how a team willing to schedule this ambitiously doesn't want to finish off what would be a fantastic schedule by upgrading their in-conference competition.

http://www.belmontbruins.com/sports/m-b ... 8/schedule

Becuase it's harder to get to 25-27 wins by playing in the MVC and getting maybe 12-13 conference wins if you're at the top 3 compared to dominating one of the 7 worst conferences in America and getting 15-16 conference wins.

It's also "easier" to win the OVC tournament than the MVC tournament. This is also the first year the OVC tournament hasn't been played in Nashville in at least a decade and a half. Having to go to St Louis and play on a neutral setting would destroy that built in advantage.

They aren't interesting in upgrading. They are interested in keeping up their allusion
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » September 11th, 2017, 5:55 pm

With some leagues going to a 20 game conference schedule, I think it makes sense for the MVC to add an 11th school and do the same. Let's just get Murray in the fold and be done with it already.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » September 11th, 2017, 6:34 pm

Red wrote:With some leagues going to a 20 game conference schedule, I think it makes sense for the MVC to add an 11th school and do the same. Let's just get Murray in the fold and be done with it already.

The 20 game schedule, while the coaches I don't think we're crazy about it, wasn't the biggest obstacle (although if it means getting rid if Quincy I'd be all fir ut but it probably means getting rid if someone else and Jeeping Quincy smh). The biggest obstacle was travel partners evening out for women's basketball. Apparently, that's a big deal?
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball