What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

What happens next?

Wichita St leaves for a better league
37%
Missouri St, IllinoisSt, UNI move up to FBS
25%
MVC expands
37%

Total votes : 107

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby MVCfans » January 24th, 2017, 8:07 pm

FYI-

UND has verbally agreed to join the Summit League in the fall of 2018 for all of its athletic programs outside of football and hockey, the Herald has learned.

Summit League commissioner Tom Douple is expected at a press conference Thursday in Grand Forks.

UND also is finalizing a move to the Missouri Valley Football Conference. MVFC presidents will vote on the potential move Wednesday. It is expected to pass.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Red » January 25th, 2017, 12:45 pm

Does this make it less likely that we would ever expand into the Dakotas?
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » January 25th, 2017, 1:01 pm

I thought the league office said they didn't want teams parking just some of their teams in the Valley?

Hmmmm....
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » January 25th, 2017, 2:42 pm

Cdizzle wrote:I thought the league office said they didn't want teams parking just some of their teams in the Valley?

Hmmmm....

Technically the vote hasn't happened yet.

Secondly, it wouldn't be UND parking. There are no FBS aspirations. No "we need to get into the AAC or MWC dreams out of Grand Forks. They'd be a "lifer" in the MVFC.

Having said that, there are a couple major issues many have with UND in the MVFC. If the vote/discussions were private I doubt UND gets in. HOWEVER, Patty used a state issues phone for all corespondents about the vote and gauging interesting. She used a state issues e-mail. She made it very clear that she did so. Thus it's all subject to FOIA. Meaning, she pulled a power trip to ensure those that would vote no can't due to political backlash.

SDSU and NDSU would be no votes, but with a public vote they can't/won't vote no due to potential political backlash. They may, however, abstain from the vote. They did on the vote about USD in 2010. UNI doesn't have a president in office yet. UNI may abstain due to that. UND needs 7 yes votes to get in. If those three abstain there only need to be one no to keep them out. I have a feeling YSU, MSU, SIU or ISUr could be that vote.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » February 15th, 2017, 11:13 am

Reports circulating that the Big East and UCONN are discussing the Huskies joining the conference. Not sure how the AAC would then respond or if this news would strengthen or weaken the Wichita State to AAC rumors.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby uniftw » February 15th, 2017, 11:16 am

MVCfans wrote:Reports circulating that the Big East and UCONN are discussing the Huskies joining the conference. Not sure how the AAC would then respond or if this news would strengthen or weaken the Wichita State to AAC rumors.

What would they do with football? Would the AAC keep them? I suppose if that were the case then it would help WSU's case. They'd maintain what they have now, essentially.

EDIT

I looked and UCONN leaving would give the AAC 10 basketball members. That would give them a true double round robin. That'd be nice.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirds4Life » February 15th, 2017, 11:21 am

uniftw wrote:
MVCfans wrote:Reports circulating that the Big East and UCONN are discussing the Huskies joining the conference. Not sure how the AAC would then respond or if this news would strengthen or weaken the Wichita State to AAC rumors.

What would they do with football? Would the AAC keep them? I suppose if that were the case then it would help WSU's case. They'd maintain what they have now, essentially

My guess would be that UConn Football would go to "Independent" status, like BYU, Notre Dame, etc. Their football program isn't elite, but they are still UConn and could survive as an independent.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » February 15th, 2017, 11:28 am

Redbirds4Life wrote:
uniftw wrote:

What would they do with football? Would the AAC keep them? I suppose if that were the case then it would help WSU's case. They'd maintain what they have now, essentially

My guess would be that UConn Football would go to "Independent" status, like BYU, Notre Dame, etc. Their football program isn't elite, but they are still UConn and could survive as an independent.

Notre Dame is ACC without being in the ACC. Part of the deal that got them into the ACC for all other sports was scheduling a minimum 5 of their 12 games against ACC schools. There is growing (even if slower than "normal) movement for them to join the ACC full time.

BYU has maintained indy, but they half regret it and have attempted (many times) to get into a conference since leaving the MWC. The MWC hasn't been desperate enough to take them back (as of yet) and the B12 and P10 went other directions despite BYU begging.

Army and UMASS are currently the other two independents. Navy joined the AAC last year. Army can probably keep going indy for a while. UMASS is about to his a real crossroads for their program. New Mexico State was booted from the Sun Belt along with Idaho. Idaho is moving FCS but NMSU wants to try indy. Not sure how that will work.

I suppose BYU, NMSU, UCONN and UMASS could arrange something, but for schools with as little support as NMSU, UCONN and UMASS it's going to be real tough to hang on long term, especially as conferences move towards 9 game conference schedules.

More and more UCONN games are looking like this
http://www.trbimg.com/img-57dd8247/turb ... e-20160917
http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af3 ... yds74v.jpg

I'm sure they'd try for a while, but they may not be willing to fight too hard to stay FBS. They'll be in a conference with Villanova who funds at just an FCS level (and is pretty damn good at the FCS level) and is at the top of the CBB world. I wouldn't be shocked to see that happen, though the "PR" of moving FBS to FCS may make them just drop completely rather than go FCS.

If the CAA Football Conference could get UCONN and UMASS back that'd be big. If UCONN would move back then UMASS would move back.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheObserver » February 15th, 2017, 11:42 am

Uh, and who else is coming with UConn?

What made the elite of the elite all of a sudden have a change of heart regarding public, football-supported schools?

This sounds like a load of poo-poo to me.
TheObserver
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby SubGod22 » February 15th, 2017, 11:55 am

I've read a lot on this over the past few months. I mostly think it's bored NE journalists trying to create something. It also sounds like the BE is happy with their 10 team round robin format right now and that they're not eager to expand.

If this were an option, UConn would be forever throwing away any P5 football aspirations. I know basketball is where it's at with them, but I'm not sure they're ready to give up on football. Being an independent or finding a way to put football in the MAC isn't going to help them reach that status. The AAC isn't going to let them take the sport that matters and keep the one they suck at. That'd just be bad business for the AAC.

With that said, there are rumblings within the AAC that they need to find a way to better their on court status. They've been hurt by both UConn and Memphis being down. Some think they will be just fine moving forward with what they have and some think that maybe they need to look into bringing in one or two basketball centric schools. Who knows where that'll end up. It sounds as though the AAC commissioner really wants to add Wichita but it's a matter of convincing enough presidents that it's the right move.

So, does the BE want to deal with a public school that sponsors FBS football? Does UConn want to throw away any future with a P5?

Someone also mentioned BYU trying to get into a conference. The only conference I believe they've tried to get into was the XII. They will never go back to the MWC. One, I don't think the MWC really helps them out much and two, they make a lot more money now than they would in the MWC. They'll never get into the PAC and I don't see anyone else wanting them. They can stay Indy for a long time. It'll take a dire situation for them to ever join a non power conference.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball