What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

What happens next?

Wichita St leaves for a better league
37%
Missouri St, IllinoisSt, UNI move up to FBS
25%
MVC expands
37%

Total votes : 107

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby MoValley John » September 17th, 2014, 11:58 am

quote="CaseyGarrisonforPrez"] I mean no offence, but I question how you can be a "huge college football fan" and yet not know more about the SBC. The Sun Belt has a primetime game each Tuesday night on the ESPN family of networks in October and November and I rarely miss a game. [/quote]

Crap, I'm drawn in by another Missouri State fan.... Again. And it's Casey... Again.

I know about the Sun Belt. I know it's horrible. Tuesday night football is just that, Tuesday night football. It is the night of the week that even the most die hard football fans take off. It is when you come home from work and spend time with 5 he wife and kids. It's the night that even fantasy football geeks do something different. And it is the night that the irrelevant leagues play a game because there is literally no other sports taking place. So the Sun Belt gets their broadcast. I don't watch, I bet few others do either. Now a little bit about the vaunted Sun Belt.

In football, the Sun Belt is the lowest FBS league with regards to RPI. Year in and year out, as FBS leagues go, the Sun Belt is last. There are years when the MVFC and a few other FCS leagues pass up the Sun Belt. The Sun Belt doesn't buy games from any FBS programs and doesn't buy games from most FCS programs. They are that low. Here are the final 2013 RPI's by league- according to RealTimeRpi.com:
Southeastern  
Pacific-12
Big 12
Atlantic Coast
Independents
Big Ten
American Athletic   
Mountain West 
Conference USA 
Mid-American 
Sun Belt
fcs  
Missouri Valley
Colonial
Big South
Southland
Big Sky
Independents
Ohio Valley
Southern
Patriot League
Northeast
Mid-Eastern Athletic 
Southwestern Athletic
Pioneer League 
Ivy League

So there you have it, Casey, in 2013, the Big South finished one lousy spot ahead of the MVFC in football. The relevance of that one spot is insignificant. The financial impact on your budget and the risk for that one spot is huge. Gigantic! The financial risk and the very limited upside probably has a lot to do with Missouri State even being in the discussion for a potential spot in the Big South; more stable and successful FCS programs want no part of the Big South. Location plays a part, but there are a bunch of successful FCS programs in and near the Big South's footprint that want nothing to do with it.

So, now that we have established that the Big South is the worst FBS league, let's see how they do in basketball. I will once again use RealtimeRpi.com:
Year. MVC RPI--------SB RPI
2013. 11--------- 19
2012. 9-------- 15
2011. 8-------------- 19
2010. 12------------ 22
2009. 9-------------- 21
2008. 9----------- 25
2007. 8------------ 27
2006. 6------------- 20
2005. 6---------- 19
2004. 8----------- 12
2003. 11--------' 17

There you have it in black and white, Casey, in basketball the Sun Belt sucks. There is nothing in those RPI numbers to even think that there is a hope for an upward trend. I know Missouri State fan's are pining to move up to FBS, heck, even NAIA teams would love to be FBS. The Sun Belt is a horrible, horrible option. It is almost a death sentence. Missouri State fans want this so badly, they are like the 16 year-old kid dead set on buying a car. They can't get the one they really want, so instead of saving up for a decent ride, they buy the piece of crap they can afford today. Unfortunately, the affordable option will kill them in the long run.

I've said enough. You want this so badly, I hope you get it. Honestly. You want it, you might get it and you'll get what you deserve, too.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Aargh » September 17th, 2014, 1:25 pm

One of the pluses I've read from MSU fans on moving to the SBC is the automatic NCAA berth they'd get every year. The lower conference RPI is a plus. They're willing to lower the bar in basketball until they can finally get over it, no matter how far down they have to take it.

After all, once they're FBS and have Navy, Indiana, and Ole Miss coming into Springfield, they'll be able to fill their stadium.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » September 17th, 2014, 2:25 pm

jackwagon wrote:Coming from somebody who is a huge college football fan, Arkansas State is irrelevant to anyone that is not a fan of the team or who lives near there. I couldnt tell you one important game they or anyone in the sunbelt ever played. MVC basketball is more relevant and always has been.

I follow CFB very, very, closely at the both the FBS and FCS levels.

I can't tell you jack s*** about Ark St other than they are in in the SBC, are in Arkansas, and are the Red Wolves...that's it.

That would be like Washington/Washington State fan trying to tout some sort of national prowess of Idaho.

Would MVFC schools in the MVC be better at basketball without football? Maybe. However, the number of non-football schools that are good is pretty low, nationally. UNI dropping football promises nothing other than a drop in donations so large UNI may as well instantly drop to the D3 level.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » September 17th, 2014, 2:27 pm

Aargh wrote:One of the pluses I've read from MSU fans on moving to the SBC is the automatic NCAA berth they'd get every year. The lower conference RPI is a plus. They're willing to lower the bar in basketball until they can finally get over it, no matter how far down they have to take it.

This is what I get from them wanting to move - and they've admitted as much here.

They are content being the worlds tallest midget.

Can't accomplish what you want playing against a decent level of competition? Why strive to be better when you can just give up and play weaker competition!

Wouldn't it be something that they'd get into the SBC and still not make the NCAAs because they don't win their conference tournament? I guess if nothing else they may be setting themselves up for NIT births....
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocktheheart » September 17th, 2014, 2:46 pm

uniftw wrote:
jackwagon wrote:Coming from somebody who is a huge college football fan, Arkansas State is irrelevant to anyone that is not a fan of the team or who lives near there. I couldnt tell you one important game they or anyone in the sunbelt ever played. MVC basketball is more relevant and always has been.

I can't tell you jack s*** about Ark St other than they are in in the SBC, are in Arkansas, and are the Red Wolves...that's it.

That would be like Washington/Washington State fan trying to tout some sort of national prowess of Idaho.

Would MVFC schools in the MVC be better at basketball without football? Maybe. However, the number of non-football schools that are good is pretty low, nationally. UNI dropping football promises nothing other than a drop in donations so large UNI may as well instantly drop to the D3 level.

Depends on what your definition of good is and pretty low...I will be the first to admit some of these schools are a "stretch" being called good:

Xavier
Wichita St.
VCU
Seton Hall
Saint Mary's
St. Joseph
St. John's
Providence
Marquette
La Salle
Gonzaga
George Washington
George Mason (8 years ago)
Florida Gulf Coast
Creighton
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » September 17th, 2014, 3:10 pm

shocktheheart wrote:
uniftw wrote:

Depends on what your definition of good is and pretty low...I will be the first to admit some of these schools are a "stretch" being called good:

Xavier
Wichita St.
VCU
Seton Hall
Saint Mary's
St. Joseph
St. John's
Providence
Marquette
La Salle
Gonzaga
George Washington
George Mason (8 years ago)
Florida Gulf Coast
Creighton

There are 351 D1 schools
252 football schools

100 non football and that's the entire list of teams?
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » September 17th, 2014, 4:29 pm

Really, all things considered, that's not too bad of a list. And if you take it a step further and look at the football schools outside of the P-5, the list looks really, really good. In fact, nobody is chiming in that any P-5 schools should consider dropping football, and nobody is saying that football hurts the P-5 in basketball, it doesn't. Furthermore, there are four or five more teams on the top of my head that I'd add to the list. It just depends on what you consider quality.

Looking further, the bottom of the basketball RPI is riddled with FCS schools.
300  Niagara
301  Long Island----------No football
302  Tennessee St.
303  SE Louisiana
304 St Francis (PA)
305  Austin Peay
306  North Kentucky
307 NJIT------------No Football
308  TX San Antonio
309  Georgia Southern
310  Texas St.
311  Texas Pan Amer.
312  Ball St.
313  Liberty
314  Samford
315  Alcorn St.
316  Campbell
317  Illinois-Chicago---------------No Football
318  Jacksonville St.
319  UC Riverside
320  SIU-Edwardsville
321  Navy
322  Prairie View A&M
323  IUPUI----------No football
324  Howard
325  Kennesaw St
326  Binghamton
327  UC Davis 7-22
328  Tenn-Martin
329  MD Baltimore Cty
330  S. Carolina St.
331  Stetson
332  Delaware St.
333  Maine
334  Central Arkansas
335  Cornell
336  Appalachian St.
337  Longwood------------ Club Football only
338  Sacred Heart
339  Furman
340  New Hampshire
341  N.C. A&T
342  Lamar
343  Abilene Christian
344  Houston Baptist
345  Miss. Valley St.
346  Bethune-Cookman
347  Citadel
348  Southern Utah
349  MD Eastern Shore--------No Football.... Controversy over reinstating football has been a distraction.
350  Grambling St.
351  Presbyterian

Only six teams from 300-351 lack football. 11% of the bottom. But based on your numbers, 100 not - football schools out of 351, if everything else was equal, there would be 15 schools or 28%. Navy is in the bottom 50, other than that, it's all non P-5 teams, FCS teams and a measly 6 non- football playing schools. Extract the P-5 schools from the math and the percentages of football playing schools at the bottom looks much, much worse.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bleach » September 17th, 2014, 4:42 pm

As a Bears fan for MANY years, I feel the need to say that the vocal posters are likely in the minority by a LOT. Also, There has not been one statement from one MSU official thast I can find saying this is even a goal. Those few posters are puzzled by this.
Art Haines (Bears broadcaster) is an employee of MSU and has repeatedly stated this is a bad idea. Those same posters are also upset by this.
Almost all the "smoke" about this possibility is manufactured hype rather than fire.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » September 17th, 2014, 5:20 pm

Bleach,
If you notice it's the same 2-3 WSU posters and their Panther patawan, who every time this subject comes up, wait until Casey posts something and then use what he posts along with a couple others to take as many shots at MSU as they can. It's been pointed out repeatedly that there has never been any statements by MSU administration about this other than a long range plan to position the University facility and resource wise to take advantage of an opportunity if it presents itself, but have never identified a target of focus for that plan and have repeatedly said they are committed to the MVC for the immediate future. Obviously this enlightened few are not encumbered with anything resembling fact in their zeal to present themselves as experts on the motivations and plans for Missouri State.

I find it really comical that a fan from a school like UNI wants to talk about limited aspirations when their University cut sports to maintain status quo in football, and despite coming off their most successful era in basketball made no attempts at moving up when things were jumping in realignment, despite having the football facility and recent basketball and football success to have been a player. We on the other hand are adding facilities and sports and anticipating growth and opportunity even during a time of very limited financial flexibility and resources. Every time uniftw opens his mouth he reinforces how little he understands the dynamics driving what MSU is doing and just likes to take shots w/o substance to back them. What a putz.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » September 17th, 2014, 7:50 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:Bleach,
...UNI...made no attempts at moving up when things were jumping in realignment, despite having the football facility and recent basketball and football success to have been a player...

Two or three years ago the Iowa legislature asked the athletic departments at all the state universities to come up with a plan that would not require state funding. UNI's President made a comment that without the $6 mill they get from the state each year, they might have to drop all athletic programs.

The atmosphere in Iowa is not conducive to committing additional expenses to athletic departments at state universities. UNI's hands are a little tied when it comes to moving out of FCS.

Wasn't UNI a teacher's college for many years? You don't build a donor alumni base by churning out a lot of teachers. UNI's athletic department is in a better financial situation than MSU's because they put a lot of butts in seats at FB and get subsidized by the taxpayers.

As to a few MSU posters making lots of noise and misrepresenting the larger group of MSU fans - we're trying to educate those guys. It's actually humorous to observe their attempts to avoid being educated. When basketball news is slow we can always count on a few MSU fans to have another sealed envelope to keep us entertained through a long, boring off season.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball