What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

What happens next?

Wichita St leaves for a better league
37%
Missouri St, IllinoisSt, UNI move up to FBS
25%
MVC expands
37%

Total votes : 107

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby Mikovio » July 9th, 2017, 9:18 pm

Villanova is operating in another galaxy. Their athletic dept revenue last year was $40 million and they spend $9.5 million on mens basketball, $6 million on football. The $6 million they spend on FCS football is a rounding error for them. They play it as a lark.

But contrast that with ISUr. FCS football is a huge part of their budget.

ISU football expenses -- $4,062,137

ISU men's basketball expenses -- $2,452,961

ISU total ticket revenue for ALL sports -- $1,798,759

Let's say $1 million of that ticket revenue was for football, maybe $500k for media rights. That's still a $2.5 million budget deficit, which if spent on men's basketball would double their budget. They could pay Gregg Marshall money! But they're not, because they're bent on getting to Paris Texas! Yippee!

Actually they're lucky they didn't have to host a playoff game this year, because that's just more red ink (see above).
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Mikovio » July 9th, 2017, 9:20 pm

VUGrad1314 wrote:Belmont's coach on realignment:

https://soundcloud.com/user-232619420/b ... conference

Summary:

Belmont likes its lot in the OVC and is unwilling to commit financially to what the MVC would demand

Calls MVC "a good league," but believes that it's a one-bid league going forward, as evidenced by the snub of Illinois State

I wish people understood that if programs like Belmont joined the MVC, it wouldn't be a one-bid league, especially with a second quality add, like Murray State or SLU, and internal improvement from current MVC members. It sucks that a quality add like Murray State that wants to be in and compete in this league is likely to be left out in the cold because Belmont is cheap and cowardly and SLU is arrogant.

To be fair, of course they're going to say that until a bid is accepted. He's not going to be all "I sure wish we had the money to get out of this hellhole (OVC)!!!!!!!!!!!"
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » July 9th, 2017, 10:22 pm

Mikovio wrote:
VUGrad1314 wrote:Belmont's coach on realignment:

https://soundcloud.com/user-232619420/b ... conference

Summary:

Belmont likes its lot in the OVC and is unwilling to commit financially to what the MVC would demand

Calls MVC "a good league," but believes that it's a one-bid league going forward, as evidenced by the snub of Illinois State

I wish people understood that if programs like Belmont joined the MVC, it wouldn't be a one-bid league, especially with a second quality add, like Murray State or SLU, and internal improvement from current MVC members. It sucks that a quality add like Murray State that wants to be in and compete in this league is likely to be left out in the cold because Belmont is cheap and cowardly and SLU is arrogant.

To be fair, of course they're going to say that until a bid is accepted. He's not going to be all "I sure wish we had the money to get out of this hellhole (OVC)!!!!!!!!!!!"

Do you think, as I do, the notion of divisional play in the MVC would be a game-changing selling point for them, since it would substantially reduce their travel burden or is it useless to keep trying to convince them?
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » July 10th, 2017, 12:08 am

They said they were open to it so it's not and stretched idea I just don't think it really matter unless they step out of their footprint and add the Dakota's, in which case uni and Drake really get the s*** end of the stick along with the Dakota's so I don't think it's viable. They're not going to screw over just and schools. Uni to Fargo is 7.5 hours by land.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PurpleAcesFootball » July 10th, 2017, 2:18 pm

All this talk of travel partners. Elgin and the university presidents have mentioned it as an issue so it obviously is important to them.

If I am not mistaken - women's basketball is really the only sport which utilizes the partner scheduling. Is there another sport that uses it?

There probably would be significant savings if they adopted it for Men's BB as well. Before you memtion that is mid-major thinking - remember the PAC uses it for men's and women's basketball.
PurpleAcesFootball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby uniftw » July 10th, 2017, 2:33 pm

PurpleAcesFootball wrote:All this talk of travel partners. Elgin and the university presidents have mentioned it as an issue so it obviously is important to them.

If I am not mistaken - women's basketball is really the only sport which utilizes the partner scheduling. Is there another sport that uses it?

There probably would be significant savings if they adopted it for Men's BB as well. Before you memtion that is mid-major thinking - remember the PAC uses it for men's and women's basketball.

Volleyball
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PurpleAcesFootball » July 10th, 2017, 8:37 pm

uniftw wrote:
PurpleAcesFootball wrote:All this talk of travel partners. Elgin and the university presidents have mentioned it as an issue so it obviously is important to them.

Volleyball

Good catch. You're right.
PurpleAcesFootball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » July 10th, 2017, 8:41 pm

Softball, track, cross country, golf, tennis, swimming, beer pong. They all travel in pairs
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PurpleAcesFootball » July 11th, 2017, 11:19 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote: Softball, track, cross country, golf, tennis, swimming, beer pong. They all travel in pairs

No they don't.

InigoMontoya wrote: Why you keep using that word? I don't think it means what you think it means.
PurpleAcesFootball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » July 11th, 2017, 11:42 am

Pretty sure you're wrong about beer pong. I'm positive they have a travel partner. Maybe you missed the sarcasm of the entire post.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball