Evansville Aces at #23 Butler University (Sat, Nov 27th)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Ace Dad » November 24th, 2010, 9:39 pm

One day, far in the future, our Aces are going to look back at this stretch of games and tell their grandchildren that they played a solid Indiana Hoosier team, #23 Butler University, and #25 North Carolina, all within a two week period. By then, they will only remember the thrill of playing in historic arenas and playing against the very best competition in the country.

How do you stop the Butler guards?

How do you match up with the Butler big man?

I love college basketball!
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Evansville Aces at #23 Butler University (Sat, Nov 27th)

Postby acesfool » November 24th, 2010, 10:24 pm

If we shoot 30 threes, get Colt 30 shots, and play our best defense ofthe year we should keep this to a 20 to 30 point loss.
acesfool
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Unsmooth Moment » November 25th, 2010, 12:28 am

acesfool wrote:If we shoot 30 threes, get Colt 30 shots, and play our best defense ofthe year we should keep this to a 20 to 30 point loss.

this
Unsmooth Moment
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Aargh » November 25th, 2010, 2:04 am

Ace Dad wrote:One day, far in the future, our Aces are going to look back at this stretch of games and tell their grandchildren that they played a solid Indiana Hoosier team, #23 Butler University, and #25 North Carolina, all within a two week period. By then, they will only remember the thrill of playing in historic arenas and playing against the very best competition in the country.

How do you stop the Butler guards?

How do you match up with the Butler big man?

I love college basketball!

AceDad, I have the greatest respect for your knowledge of the game. The fact that your son played for Evansville has brought some great insight and knowledge to Valley forums.

I understand your ongoing loyalty to UE, but UE's only contribution to the league (since your son graduated) has been to provide a cannon fodder team that occasionally knocks a bubble team out of the NCAA's.

I think it's not so far in the future that UE's fans will tell their children and grandchildren, "Back in the days when UE still played D1 ball, we ...(got beat by some really great teams that scheduled us for an easy win)."
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace Dad » November 25th, 2010, 9:39 am

There is room in the conference for teams that do not win as much as others.

A bubble MVC team that fails to beat a weaker MVC team does not deserve a NCAA bid.

I know many players who never experienced a winning college season. None regretted their experience as they looked back.

Team fan bases that are on top of the world now should be careful how they treat the lower tier teams. The margin between a winning program and losing program is thin, very thin. College coaches know this and that is why some have sold their soul for that "one player." Wichita State lost to UCONN by one possession, I believe. This led to the Shockers eventually placing 5th, I believe. UCONN smacked the xhit out of a Top Ten Kentucky squad. The margin between the Wildcats, Huskies, and Shockers is not as wide as the UCONN and Kentucky fans believe. Neither is the margin between the top and middle tier MVC teams or between the middle tier and lower tier conference members.

So, how do we stop Butler's Mack?
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby musiccitybulldog » November 25th, 2010, 10:49 am

Ace Dad, seems Sienna held him to 9 the last game. Just don't let him get easy open looks to knock down.
What about Howard? Whats the plan on him? I like watching Hopf, is he getting back? When I have seen him play in the past it seems he can be tough on defense? You definately need Colt to have another game like MTSU.

I agree with your thin line winning margin comments. Bottom line, if a team is going to be a contender or hope to go to the NCAA tourney you have to win, period.

The EU fans have to be enjoying this schedule win or lose. We are going to try to make it to the UNC game.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aces1982 » November 25th, 2010, 11:26 am

Last year, Butler came into Evansville and everybody talked up Howard. He was coming off the Conference Player of the Year award. He had like 10 points almost all from the FT line. It was Mack from 3 point line and Haywood who did most of the damage. They beat us by 4.

I know a year later he is going to be more of a force. He is not the one that worries me though. It is Mack. With that said Howard will be a force on the boards. I wouldn't mind throwing Peeler out there against him and see what happens. He is the more athletic of our 3 big guys. No way Marty will do this. But I would like to throw him in the fire and see how he does. Howard has a knack to get to the line, so all three of our bigs are probably going to get minutes. If we don't rotate better on defense, when helping out, it could be a long night with them shooting the three. But teams that shoot lots of three's are capable of having off nights. With a combination of an off shooting night and putting two halves together for UE the game could be closer then same think. I don't think this Butler team is anywhere as good as they were a year ago. Louisville made them look silly. But again, it starts defending the three.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aces1982 » November 25th, 2010, 11:44 am

After saying all that, I don't think Butler is going to have an off night shooting. They are more then likely going to get wide open looks. Will be up 32-25 or so at half and win 70-55.

Here is hoping I couldn't be more wrong.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby sixth ace » November 25th, 2010, 11:57 am

I think you need to do what Louisville did with Howard Get him in foul trouble and put hhim on the bench. Louisville had three fouls early in the game and Mack had to do all the scoring. He at one point had 17 of Butlers 19 points. When Howard reenter the game after Halftime he was a beast inside and end with over 20 points. But it was too late for Butler .
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace Dad » November 25th, 2010, 1:47 pm

I have only seen one game: But I sense we have a collection of basketball players and athletes. Our basketball players understand the offense, but may not be athletic enough to defend or get their shot. Our athletes can guard the opposing player or get to the rim on a broken play, but do not understand the motion offense well enough to garner enough minutes. The more we play, the more our athletic players learn the system and this will pay dividends during conference play.

Glad I am a dumb fan and not a coach because I would not be sure who to play.

As painful as this four game road trip may be, we need it for MVC play.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball