If offered a one and done...

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

One and done with a major school - take it?

Yes, very happy to do so
56%
No way in hell
13%
Maybe if it were a 2 for 1
31%

Total votes : 55

Postby MVCfans » August 4th, 2010, 11:06 am

There has been a lot of discussion lately about scheduling and whether MVC teams should take "buy" games against major BCS schools. UNI is going to Syracuse this year, for example. Would you want your team to play Kansas (for the western half of the MVC) or Indiana/Illinois (for the eastern half), even in the absence of a return game?
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: If offered a one and done...

Postby dgreenwell3 » August 4th, 2010, 12:45 pm

I look at every game against a big school as an opportunity to make a name for yourself...anyone who has the audicity to say their team is too good to go to another schools house and play is clearly an imbecile....
dgreenwell3
MVC Victory Cigar
MVC Victory Cigar

Postby Braves4Life » August 4th, 2010, 1:12 pm

Play anyone anywhere, anytime!
Braves4Life
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby BirdmanBB » August 5th, 2010, 10:34 am

Statistics show (collegeRPI) that 1 and dones are the worst deal ever. RPI wise, it is shown that it is better to play and beat a crap team, then lose to a BCS on the road. Of course, that is what they say....then you look at us (ISU red) I would at the very least get a 2 for 1 and hope you could work out a 1 for 1 plus a neutral.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RoyalShock » August 5th, 2010, 2:28 pm

BirdmanBB wrote:Statistics show (collegeRPI) that 1 and dones are the worst deal ever. RPI wise, it is shown that it is better to play and beat a crap team, then lose to a BCS on the road. Of course, that is what they say....then you look at us (ISU red) I would at the very least get a 2 for 1 and hope you could work out a 1 for 1 plus a neutral.

I would like to see these statistics. When I watch our RPI go down after beating a 300+ team at home, but see it go up when losing to a top 50 on the road, I call BS on Jerry "Hairy" Palm.

Besides, a team's RPI itself is irrelevant. It's strengh-of-schedule however, is about the only thing, RPI-wise, that matters.

A game at Syracuse, win or lose, says much more about a team than a win at home vs. Alcorn St. If you want consideration by the selection committee, you better have some quality OOC teams on your schedule, because short of going undefeated, they won't be impressed by conference games.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Indiana Jones » August 6th, 2010, 4:16 am

The mighty hoosiers won't play Indy State anymore, no matter where :lol:
Butler won't either and Purdue is not too happy about playing us at Conseco in Indianapolis
Notre Dame....NO way

So what are ya gonna do?????? :roll:
Indiana Jones
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby dgreenwell3 » August 6th, 2010, 12:07 pm

It's true IU is scared of us...last time we played IU Kelvin Sampson literally said, "I won't play them because if they beat us it's always remembered and our record is closer than it looks."
dgreenwell3
MVC Victory Cigar
MVC Victory Cigar

Postby Rasputin » August 6th, 2010, 1:02 pm

I would be okay with Creighton taking a one and done with Duke, Kentucky or North Carolina. I would do a one and done with Jennifer Aniston anytime.
Rasputin
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby PattrickJMerrault » August 9th, 2010, 5:13 pm

I absolutely think that taking a one and done each year is not a bad thing, if it's against a really quality opponent. I don't think you can just say against "a big" school, because not all big schools are created equally in terms of basketball clout. But I don't think there is a single team in the MVC that would not benefit from taking a one and done against any big program that is routinely in the top 25-30. It gives some exposure, boosts the strength of schedule, provides an opportunity for a big win come selection time (or even a notable loss), and really helps MVC type teams to be able to say, "we did what we could to schedule and play the best competition -- what did "x" BCS team who is battling us for that last at large spot do?" Ultimately it might not make a difference to those guys in the selection room, but I don't see what argument can possibly be made that it would hurt.

I don't think MVC teams should take to scheduling a bunch of one and dones each year, though. Leave that for the SWAC type conferences. Be willing to take one a year, try to get into a quality tournament where there is the possibility of facing some quality teams on a neutral court, work on rivalry games with some BCS type teams in the geographic region, and then schedule some other mid to low majors to round out the nonconference schedule. If the entire league did this, then the league as a whole would be more reputable, the league as a whole would be more tested come conference time, and the league as a whole would be talked about more come March Madness, in my opinion.

--Pattrick J. Merrault, esq.
PattrickJMerrault
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby unipanther99 » August 10th, 2010, 8:22 am

Panthers to the Bone on Panthernation has in the past pointed out the problem with taking too many of these games (or even 2 for 1's) for schools like UNI and Drake.

If you start agreeing to less than favorable terms, Iowa and Iowa State might start wanting those same terms. You could argue that right now those schools would be no big loss on our schedule, but over the years they have helped far more than they have hurt.

I'm glad we have the Syracuse game, I think it's a perfect way to capitolize on our success in the NCAA's this past spring. But I don't think we should make a regular habit of it.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball