Wichita State Basketball

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Wichita State Basketball

Postby Little Eddie » November 28th, 2010, 9:36 pm

I love to hear stuff like this (about Kyles asking what he needs to do)...definitely a mature thing to do and shows he wants to earn his time and not have it given to him. Kudos to the young man...admirable indeed.

Now only if others from each of the Valley teams would do this...I think many feel like they can go thru the motions in the off-season with the thought that they will get a little better and they'll get their PT.
Little Eddie
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby shockball » November 28th, 2010, 9:56 pm

We didn't see David dive off the clliff but we did see a nice dive and flip from Gabe Blair. Good elevation and entry. Echeique was seen with the whales emerging from the ocean in a twisting pike position then slapping the surface with his tail.
shockball
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Ricardo del Rio » November 28th, 2010, 10:50 pm

RoyalShock wrote:
jayball wrote:Thanks Aargh.

That says alot about Kyles and about Marshall. Often times those type of players never seem to be able to "get it" and don't realize their potenial as basketball players. They assume their physical talent is enough. It is a sign of maturity to have a player work to fit into the scheme and it is a sign of good coaching to help a player realize that is needed. David is definitely off to a great start this year.

However, his numbers will fall dramatically as soon as Echenique becomes eligible. Even when WSU isn't playing CU, they will know the Venezulan is coming!!!!!! (note: WSU fans this is a joke)

Heck, my church-league volleyball stats dropped just knowing Echeique would be eligible in less than a month.

He transcends sport and competition level. He's that good.

;)

Are we talking GodEcheiqueGod here?
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace Dad » November 28th, 2010, 11:52 pm

I plan on attending the Dec 29th showdown, if I can get off work early enough to make the drive from Leavenworth. Last time I attended an Aces-Shocker contest in 2005, we were pelted with popcorn. Should I bring an umbrella?
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » November 30th, 2010, 12:28 pm

Fun thread here! We get to talk about actual basketball and enjoy good humor! The one thing I enjoyed about the old board was the nuggets of information about opposing teams. I already know quite a bit about WSU basketball, hopefully I'll learn more about our opponents.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WuDrWu » November 30th, 2010, 1:10 pm

Ace Dad wrote:I plan on attending the Dec 29th showdown, if I can get off work early enough to make the drive from Leavenworth. Last time I attended an Aces-Shocker contest in 2005, we were pelted with popcorn. Should I bring an umbrella?

I can't let this stand. AceDad, I loved watching your son and I respect your insight, but it's comments like this that go unchallenged that have the ability to lead people in the wrong direction.

I've missed 3 WSU home games since 88. I can remember MAYBE a half dozen incidents where a single "fan" (idiot) threw something in a fit of uncontrolled outrage, and every time it was directed towards the officials. No doubt a large number of the WSU faithful are fiercely loyal and passionate about their team, but for 99.9% of them, their dedication ends where common sense ends.

In the same time period, I've seen fans of other teams celebrate like they won a national championship (often even when they don't end up winning), taunt our fans, give the international sign for lookout after a win, applaud injuries and complain to no end about the noise level.

I have some questions....are you certain it was someone's intent to "pelt" you with popcorn or was it an accident or was it directed elsewhere (not that the latter is acceptable mind you)? Was it an isolated situation or was it this ongoing barrage of concession weaponry that I am concluding you are alluding to? If it was directed at you, was the offender summarily exited from the building? Last season, for example, some chucklehead decided to let fly with a water bottle from row 21. Fans around him identified him(he was leaving to turn himself in anyway as he hit a girl on the scorers table) and he was forced to surrender his season tickets for the year and not allowed to attend any event for the year, with a lifetime ban to all events if he was caught. Lastly, were you or anyone around you possibly not acting like guests in someone's house (again, not saying that is a viable reason for the response at all, it is most certainly not, I am just looking for clarity)?

If you attend, I believe there is no need for an umbrella and that you would be treated as well or better than you treat your hosts.
THE VALLEY RULES! GO VALLEY!
WuDrWu
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby WSUbballer » November 30th, 2010, 1:17 pm

I agree with Wu.

The comment made by AceDad is perplexing. Was there a large group of rowdy Aces fans that day? You have to know where you're at sometimes. Cheering for your team in a respectful manner will NEVER cause you problems at OUR place.

Did the popcorn that PELTED you leave you any scars or indentations? Did it require stitches? Did it last all game? Did you report the pelting to proper authorities?
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace Dad » November 30th, 2010, 1:55 pm

WuDrWu wrote:
Ace Dad wrote:I plan on attending the Dec 29th showdown, if I can get off work early enough to make the drive from Leavenworth. Last time I attended an Aces-Shocker contest in 2005, we were pelted with popcorn. Should I bring an umbrella?

I can't let this stand. AceDad, I loved watching your son and I respect your insight, but it's comments like this that go unchallenged that have the ability to lead people in the wrong direction.

I've missed 3 WSU home games since 88. I can remember MAYBE a half dozen incidents where a single "fan" (idiot) threw something in a fit of uncontrolled outrage, and every time it was directed towards the officials. No doubt a large number of the WSU faithful are fiercely loyal and passionate about their team, but for 99.9% of them, their dedication ends where common sense ends.

In the same time period, I've seen fans of other teams celebrate like they won a national championship (often even when they don't end up winning), taunt our fans, give the international sign for lookout after a win, applaud injuries and complain to no end about the noise level.

I have some questions....are you certain it was someone's intent to "pelt" you with popcorn or was it an accident or was it directed elsewhere (not that the latter is acceptable mind you)? Was it an isolated situation or was it this ongoing barrage of concession weaponry that I am concluding you are alluding to? If it was directed at you, was the offender summarily exited from the building? Last season, for example, some chucklehead decided to let fly with a water bottle from row 21. Fans around him identified him(he was leaving to turn himself in anyway as he hit a girl on the scorers table) and he was forced to surrender his season tickets for the year and not allowed to attend any event for the year, with a lifetime ban to all events if he was caught. Lastly, were you or anyone around you possibly not acting like guests in someone's house (again, not saying that is a viable reason for the response at all, it is most certainly not, I am just looking for clarity)?

If you attend, I believe there is no need for an umbrella and that you would be treated as well or better than you treat your hosts.

Was popcorn thrown? Yes. Was it all in good nature, probably? Yes. Could this happen at the Aces' stadium? Yes. Lighten up. C'mon.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Shox21 » November 30th, 2010, 2:13 pm

Ace Dad wrote:Was popcorn thrown? Yes. Was it all in good nature, probably? Yes. Could this happen at the Aces' stadium? Yes. Lighten up. C'mon.

With all due respect AD, the good Doctor has a point in wanting to make things clear, and it's really not a matter of lightening up. If you had made this comment about not being treated right at a WSU game, there were posters who would take your comment as truth and run with it, then others would chime in and before long there would be a 10 page thread devoted to how bad WSU fans are. Granted this is not the old Valley Board and I hope it never turns into that. If you do, in fact, make it to the game, I for one will make it a point to come down and ask "Which one of you fine fans is Ace Dad" and then shake your hand. However, I better do that a halftime because IF EU has another fluke game and winds up winning (ala Butler), I will probably not be in as good a mood (just kidding).
Shox21
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby ictjay » November 30th, 2010, 2:23 pm

Shocker fans are fine. I usually wear a CU sweatshirt 4-5 games a year and catch a little ribbing, but nothing I don't chuckle about. That popcorn is killer stuff!!
ictjay
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball