Wichita State Basketball

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Wichita State Basketball

Postby C0|db|00ded » November 27th, 2010, 3:50 pm

Hi,

I am a fan of Wichita State Basketball. I am starting a thread to discuss Wichita State Basketball on a forum for fans of Missouri Valley athletic programs.

T

...:cool:
C0|db|00ded
All MVC
All MVC

Wichita State Basketball

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Wichita State Basketball

Postby C0|db|00ded » November 27th, 2010, 4:43 pm

These are quotes from the Wichita State - Connecticut game.

Wichita state doesn't have a lot of guys with thick ankles. They have thoroughbreds. Murray is one of them.

Wichita State walked into the arena a couple of days ago. They don't look like a club outside of the power 6. Here they are in the Missouri Valley Conference with size, length and quickness. They pass the eye test.

A lot of basketball coaches across the country would like to have 10 upper class man and 8 of 9 returning scorers. A veteran team for wichita state.

We talked about wichita state having size. A physical ballclub. They won't back down from a team in the big east.

Wichita state the first team ever out of the missouri valley conference to appear in Maui.

Wichita state has just as many if not more athletes on the floor. They are just as big. They have proven to be just as quick on the floor and just as quick getting off the floor around the rim. Carter: Shockers head coach Gregg Marshall said we may be out of the Missouri Valley Conference but we can go toe to toe with the Uconn Huskies.

In 1985 they went to the final 4. -I like this one alot! :dance:

"You could replace their Jersey with Duke's, Kentucky's, or Texas' and nobody would notice"

I am a fan of Wichita State Basketball. I am also a fan of media quotes about Wichita Basketball. I think this is the appropriate forum for my thread. If it is not, please let me know. Hopefully those that trolled my other thread will not troll this one. I am seeking honest input to add to my WSU quote collection.

T

...:cool:
C0|db|00ded
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Drakey » November 27th, 2010, 6:47 pm

Good pub for the Valley. I personally want WSU to be good every year. Still the school with the most potential to bring national recognition to the Valley.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aargh » November 28th, 2010, 1:50 am

Great to see you again, Cold.

Glad you found this site.

Let me explain one thing that seems to be a rule on this board. Media comments, fan opinions - none of that matters about WSU basketball. We have to run everything past CU fans to make sure it's accurate.

I don't know for sure where Matt Perrault, CU's biggest fan, fits into this because other CU fans seem to be somewhat disenchanted with him.

You can provide all the quotes, and everything that is verifiable about WSU, but until CU fans approve, it doesn't mean anything.

Oh, another thing since you're fairly new to this board. Just go ahead and admit that Echinique is a lock for AA and that anyone who could play in the BEast (for Rutgers - please try not to laugh) is certain to absolutely dominate the MVC and he's probably going to be a 20 pts, 20 rebound player since he started a few games in the BEast.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jayball » November 28th, 2010, 11:02 am

If you guys really want to talk WSU basketball here's a question.

Can David Kyles maintain this level of play all season? I haven't looked at the numbers, but he seems to be off the charts compared to his previous seasons. Is he a senior?

It will be big to have him contribute like that if Murry has to play PG.
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Aargh » November 28th, 2010, 11:26 am

A lot of people thought Kyles (a Junior) was possibly the best player on the team his Fr and So years. In pickup games and scrimmages, he looks like the best player on the court.

Unfortunately, he's never been able to figure out how to fit his talent into a disciplined game. He's got skills in all phases of the game, but struggled some with decision-making (Hey! I'm open. It's only 30' to the basket. I can make that).

This year he seems to have a different attitude. It's said that he went to Marshall and said, "Coach, I want to start. What do I need to do?" Then he reportedly listened and went out and did exactly what the coaches told him to do and worked on what they told him top work on. Evidently he spent the entire summer working on things the coaches told him needed work.

WSU fans knew he could shoot. We knew he could block shots no one his size should be able to reach. We knew he could run down players in transition and beat about anybody down the court when WSU was in transition. He won a dunk contest by taking off from the free throw line, jumping over 3 players, and stuffing it. He could do everything except play an organized game.

I imagine opponents will start guarding him close and his stats will drop. His defender won't get double-down duty, so that may open things up a bit down low.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jayball » November 28th, 2010, 11:39 am

Thanks Aargh.

That says alot about Kyles and about Marshall. Often times those type of players never seem to be able to "get it" and don't realize their potenial as basketball players. They assume their physical talent is enough. It is a sign of maturity to have a player work to fit into the scheme and it is a sign of good coaching to help a player realize that is needed. David is definitely off to a great start this year.

However, his numbers will fall dramatically as soon as Echenique becomes eligible. Even when WSU isn't playing CU, they will know the Venezulan is coming!!!!!! (note: WSU fans this is a joke)
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby RoyalShock » November 28th, 2010, 11:53 am

jayball wrote:Thanks Aargh.

That says alot about Kyles and about Marshall. Often times those type of players never seem to be able to "get it" and don't realize their potenial as basketball players. They assume their physical talent is enough. It is a sign of maturity to have a player work to fit into the scheme and it is a sign of good coaching to help a player realize that is needed. David is definitely off to a great start this year.

However, his numbers will fall dramatically as soon as Echenique becomes eligible. Even when WSU isn't playing CU, they will know the Venezulan is coming!!!!!! (note: WSU fans this is a joke)

Heck, my church-league volleyball stats dropped just knowing Echeique would be eligible in less than a month.

He transcends sport and competition level. He's that good.

;)
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby TheShock » November 28th, 2010, 11:58 am

David Kyles takes a dive from the famous Kaanapali Beach 'Black Rock' into the rolling surf below. He left his mark at the Maui Sheraton attraction. Seriously, I've heard rumors that coach Marshall wasn't too thrilled about David's acrobatic plunge (possibly a double or triple flip). Would love to hear an eye witness account. No doubt, the guys an athletic freak. :D

TheShock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Aargh » November 28th, 2010, 12:06 pm

Speaking of big guys - I have to back off my expectations for Stutz this year. In pre-season and practices he was looking like a different player. I even used the word "quick". Once it got to actual games, that seems to have been an illusion. He's ahead of where he was a year ago, but I don't think he's where he was at the end of last year right now. Progress is slower than I thought with Garrett.

Orukpe is unbelievable. If he ever learns how to play basketball, he will be able to do about anything he wants at any level of the game - particularly if that level is 13' off the ground, cause he can play at that level. I expect Valley foes will get some looks at him this year. The only thing that will really impress anyone is his size, quickness, speed, and leaping ability. When he's in, about any shot within 8' of the basket will either be blocked or the shooter will put a little extra arc on it.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball