TCU heading to the Big East

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: TCU heading to the Big East

Postby TylerDurden » November 30th, 2010, 11:13 am

bigdawg wrote:
RoyalShock wrote:If he isn't already, Elgin should be gauging the interest in Butler and Marquette joining the MVC.

I like Elgin but it seems like he has lost his way a little bit since the conference dipped some and the scheduling mandate ended. I'm not sure if he is the ideal person to lead the MVC into negotiations regarding expansion and wonder if he's too comfortable as things are which might mean we get passed by.

I think there are several factors that have led to the "dip".

New University presidents, new ADs, new coaches...those are factors which cannot be ignored. Hell, some of the best games on MVC schedules are put there by Elgin. He is not the problem, IMO.

Let's not forget that the shifting in conferences is about big time football. The Valley doesn't have that.

Everyone that doesn't have football at that level...and really at the BCS level, plus the WAC (unless it dies) and the MWC (which is looking more vulnerable every day)...is getting passed by.

What can you do? How do you not get passed by? Valley schools don't even have the resources CUSA has, much less a BCS school.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby bigdawg » November 30th, 2010, 11:21 am

You're probably right but I am concerned that the MVC isn't trending in the right direction. At some point if the conference shifting continues it will have to impact the Valley. Maybe Elgin's concern should be keeping a couple of current teams happy lest they have suitors.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby squirrel » November 30th, 2010, 1:49 pm

I realize I left ND out of my earlier BE thread. They are the obvious wildcard, and could potentially take the last basketball only slot as well, if they don't join for football or leave for the B10.

bigdawg wrote:You're probably right but I am concerned that the MVC isn't trending in the right direction. At some point if the conference shifting continues it will have to impact the Valley. Maybe Elgin's concern should be keeping a couple of current teams happy lest they have suitors.

This is exactly right. It's only a matter of time before it filters down through leagues like CUSA and MAC before those leagues start looking at Valley members.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball