TCU heading to the Big East

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby MVCfans » November 29th, 2010, 12:33 pm

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP)—TCU is moving to the Big East Conference, where the Horned Frogs would be BCS busters no more.

A person with direct knowledge of the decision told The Associated Press on Monday that TCU is moving from the Mountain West Conference to the Big East starting with the 2012 season. The person would not comment publicly because the decision had not been announced.

TCU scheduled a Monday afternoon news conference for “a major announcement involving the TCU athletics program.”

Does the Mountain West doing anything to offset the loss? I love watching the dominoes fall and speculating on the next move.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/ne ... id=5862368
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: TCU heading to the Big East

Postby unipanther99 » November 29th, 2010, 1:00 pm

So if we beat TCU this weekend, do we get to count this one toward UNI's awful record against the Big East? :D
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby LJay » November 29th, 2010, 5:40 pm

If true, IMHO, I believe the basketball only schools are toast in the Big East. I think the domino's that started w the Big 12 stuff that were temporarily stabilized are going to come crashing down. It will be interesting to see how deep this falls.

If Elgin doesn't have his scenarios all planned out for this contingency and that then he's a fool.
LJay
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UE 71 » November 29th, 2010, 9:05 pm

After TCU can USC be far behind. After all, they are Big East to someone. Next will be BC joining the PAC-10 and Anchorage, AK joining the Big South.
UE 71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby pafan » November 29th, 2010, 9:23 pm

LJay wrote:If true, IMHO, I believe the basketball only schools are toast in the Big East. I think the domino's that started w the Big 12 stuff that were temporarily stabilized are going to come crashing down. It will be interesting to see how deep this falls.

If Elgin doesn't have his scenarios all planned out for this contingency and that then he's a fool.

What would your ideal be here, if such a scenario would play out?

DePaul and Marquette join the Valley
Notre Dame goes to the Big Eleven and a half (formerly known as the Big Ten)
Georgetown, Providence, St. John's, Villanova go to the Atlantic Ten

Keep in mind that the Big East would have only nine members (including TCU) if all of the basketball-only teams were forced out, which makes me think that such a scenario is unlikely. This would also up the Atlantic Ten to 18 members, which is too many :P
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby squirrel » November 30th, 2010, 9:40 am

LJay wrote:If true, IMHO, I believe the basketball only schools are toast in the Big East. I think the domino's that started w the Big 12 stuff that were temporarily stabilized are going to come crashing down. It will be interesting to see how deep this falls.

I agree that I hope the league (and I'm sure it does) has a variety of strategic "If-Then's" already mapped out.

That said, the question is where does the Big East stop? They are likely to go to at least 20 now...because 2-10 team divisions is much more easy to manage. Plus you set up the system by which the same schools repeatedly don't qualify for their league championships.

There will still be room for some of the basketball-only members in the Big East. And believe it or not, DePaul, after Georgetown, is the least likely to go anywhere, for two very simple reasons: Chicago and Illinois markets, and no other direct nearby competition in the league.

Georgetown and St. John's aren't going anywhere.

Seton Hall will likely be the first to leave as their budget is already about 15% below what the league recommends and has refused to increase it at the behest of other league members. The Hall will likely go to the Atlantic 10.

Villanova's hand is basically being forced into FBS football.

That leaves Marquette and Providence. I don't know much about Providence's situation, but I do know Marquette would almost immediately fall into the same situation as Seton Hall when the football league members get richer. If it's an even number of 4 basketball only members the league needs, Marquette's only selling point is a travel partner from DePaul. And I think Providence stays.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby RoyalShock » November 30th, 2010, 9:51 am

If he isn't already, Elgin should be gauging the interest in Butler and Marquette joining the MVC.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby TylerDurden » November 30th, 2010, 10:39 am

The Big East TV deal ends in 2013...that's a key.

Also, keep in mind that university presidents like to be aligned with similar (or what they consider similar) schools. It's not just about athletics. It's why schools like SLU go to the A10.

If you want to know if the BE schools would accept or even consider an invitation from the Valley, you'd also have to look at how they're set up academically and the programs they offer.

I also can't imagine the Big East wants to give up the Chicago and Milwaukee markets, especially with the TV negotiations coming up. Right now, the BE covers roughly 1/4 of the country's TV viewers with its membership.

There are some weak sisters in that league, but I don't see any of them as potential Valley members.

If the Valley were to expand, it needs to look at schools like Loyola and Butler.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bigdawg » November 30th, 2010, 10:39 am

RoyalShock wrote:If he isn't already, Elgin should be gauging the interest in Butler and Marquette joining the MVC.

I like Elgin but it seems like he has lost his way a little bit since the conference dipped some and the scheduling mandate ended. I'm not sure if he is the ideal person to lead the MVC into negotiations regarding expansion and wonder if he's too comfortable as things are which might mean we get passed by.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby pafan » November 30th, 2010, 10:40 am

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... e-unwieldy

ESPN says that the Big East is looking to add yet another team, for 18 basketball-playing teams, so apparently contraction is not in the cards.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball