One bid league?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: One bid league?

Postby Stickboy46 » December 20th, 2016, 5:19 pm

AceMatt wrote:Loyola is playing their last game of the non conference schedule tonight in Toledo. If they win and finish 11-2 they should still have a shot as an at large but they must become big fans of the NC State Wolfpack.

NC State has 9 home ACC games including against UNC and Virginia. Should NC State win most of these games by a margin greater than Loyola's 2 point loss there, then it could make the Ramblers look good by comparison.

Of course they have to win tonight. Vegas has the game as a pick'em.

Using similar to my scenario above, if Loyola wins out except @UNI, @ISU, @MSU, @WSU their RPI is ~50. That's bubble talk, but probably on the wrong side of the bubble considering their SOS.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby AceMatt » December 20th, 2016, 7:06 pm

Toledo used a 19-0 run to take a big lead. They lead the Ramblers by 11 at half. I don't see them winning this one
AceMatt
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby AceMatt » December 20th, 2016, 8:01 pm

Ramblers valiant effort but fall short to Toledo 74-70. Still a good non conference but not at-large worthy
AceMatt
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Red » February 6th, 2019, 12:15 pm

Bump.

At least we're still getting WSU's NCAA units. Plus a nice little bonus from Loyola's run last year. However, if we become a one bid league into perpetuity, this league is headed for doom both financially and from a PR standpoint.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Red » November 6th, 2019, 10:53 am

Too soon?
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvfcfan » November 11th, 2019, 6:14 pm

Northern Iowa looks like the only team capable of getting an at-large bid. Take out Wichita and Creighton and the MVC hasn't had an at-large bid since 2007. Not sure why everyone gets all hyped up for it every year. The system is rigged against mid-majors. I will be happy if the P5 schools ever split from the NCAA. With their pay to play nonsense and rigging the system they are just ruining college basketball for me. I follow the MVC and OVC and just ignore everyone else anymore.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PantherSigEp » November 11th, 2019, 10:39 pm

mvfcfan wrote:Northern Iowa looks like the only team capable of getting an at-large bid. Take out Wichita and Creighton and the MVC hasn't had an at-large bid since 2007. Not sure why everyone gets all hyped up for it every year. The system is rigged against mid-majors. I will be happy if the P5 schools ever split from the NCAA. With their pay to play nonsense and rigging the system they are just ruining college basketball for me. I follow the MVC and OVC and just ignore everyone else anymore.

UNI has a few opportunities for a quality win but we'll need a bunch of this non-con schedule to finish VASTLY higher than expected AND a near perfect MVC record to have a chance at an at-large. The margin of error, as always unfortunately, is razor thin for us and everyone else. Over a 30+ game schedule it's nearly impossible to expect an MVC team to not have a dud game or two that ruins everything. In short, our conference is doomed to be screwed over until something changes with scheduling.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » November 13th, 2019, 9:42 am

Assumed this was about the SEC.

:D
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MSUDuo » November 13th, 2019, 9:46 am

Not getting my hopes up at this point but you can't throw out MSU just yet. Yes, one bad loss. But you can't tell me they wouldn't be in the discussion if they picked up wins over LSU and Miami and Xavier.

Not counting on it though.
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Mikovio » November 13th, 2019, 9:51 am

mvfcfan wrote:Northern Iowa looks like the only team capable of getting an at-large bid.

mvfcfan wrote:Northern Iowa looks like the only team capable of getting an at-large bid.

Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball