One bid league?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: One bid league?

Postby Redhawk » December 20th, 2016, 3:18 pm

Stickboy46 wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:
specialsauce wrote:Yes, we're proudly going to be a one-bid league.

Shockers and ISU can probably get away with 2 more losses the rest of the year and be considered for an at-large. Loyola .. maybe 1.

So yea .. probably a winner take all tourney for that 1 bid.

Interesting though, I just ran some numbers through RPIForecast. If ISUr can win their Diamondhead tourney (assuming Hawaii, Utah, Tulsa as the 3 games) then go 14-4 in the conference with losses @UNI, @WSU, @Loyola, @MSU. They will end up 22-7 with a ~29 RPI ... That's not an unrealistic scenario IMO.

That sounds awesome Stickboy but you forgot two almost for sure losses for the Birds...@ ISUb and
@ SIU! Muller's teams have consistently under performed in both places so until I am proved wrong
those project as losses.
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby AceMatt » December 20th, 2016, 5:11 pm

Loyola is playing their last game of the non conference schedule tonight in Toledo. If they win and finish 11-2 they should still have a shot as an at large but they must become big fans of the NC State Wolfpack.

NC State has 9 home ACC games including against UNC and Virginia. Should NC State win most of these games by a margin greater than Loyola's 2 point loss there, then it could make the Ramblers look good by comparison.

Of course they have to win tonight. Vegas has the game as a pick'em.
AceMatt
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Stickboy46 » December 20th, 2016, 5:19 pm

AceMatt wrote:Loyola is playing their last game of the non conference schedule tonight in Toledo. If they win and finish 11-2 they should still have a shot as an at large but they must become big fans of the NC State Wolfpack.

NC State has 9 home ACC games including against UNC and Virginia. Should NC State win most of these games by a margin greater than Loyola's 2 point loss there, then it could make the Ramblers look good by comparison.

Of course they have to win tonight. Vegas has the game as a pick'em.

Using similar to my scenario above, if Loyola wins out except @UNI, @ISU, @MSU, @WSU their RPI is ~50. That's bubble talk, but probably on the wrong side of the bubble considering their SOS.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby AceMatt » December 20th, 2016, 7:06 pm

Toledo used a 19-0 run to take a big lead. They lead the Ramblers by 11 at half. I don't see them winning this one
AceMatt
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby AceMatt » December 20th, 2016, 8:01 pm

Ramblers valiant effort but fall short to Toledo 74-70. Still a good non conference but not at-large worthy
AceMatt
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Red » February 6th, 2019, 12:15 pm

Bump.

At least we're still getting WSU's NCAA units. Plus a nice little bonus from Loyola's run last year. However, if we become a one bid league into perpetuity, this league is headed for doom both financially and from a PR standpoint.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Red » November 6th, 2019, 10:53 am

Too soon?
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvfcfan » November 11th, 2019, 6:14 pm

Northern Iowa looks like the only team capable of getting an at-large bid. Take out Wichita and Creighton and the MVC hasn't had an at-large bid since 2007. Not sure why everyone gets all hyped up for it every year. The system is rigged against mid-majors. I will be happy if the P5 schools ever split from the NCAA. With their pay to play nonsense and rigging the system they are just ruining college basketball for me. I follow the MVC and OVC and just ignore everyone else anymore.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PantherSigEp » November 11th, 2019, 10:39 pm

mvfcfan wrote:Northern Iowa looks like the only team capable of getting an at-large bid. Take out Wichita and Creighton and the MVC hasn't had an at-large bid since 2007. Not sure why everyone gets all hyped up for it every year. The system is rigged against mid-majors. I will be happy if the P5 schools ever split from the NCAA. With their pay to play nonsense and rigging the system they are just ruining college basketball for me. I follow the MVC and OVC and just ignore everyone else anymore.

UNI has a few opportunities for a quality win but we'll need a bunch of this non-con schedule to finish VASTLY higher than expected AND a near perfect MVC record to have a chance at an at-large. The margin of error, as always unfortunately, is razor thin for us and everyone else. Over a 30+ game schedule it's nearly impossible to expect an MVC team to not have a dud game or two that ruins everything. In short, our conference is doomed to be screwed over until something changes with scheduling.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » November 13th, 2019, 9:42 am

Assumed this was about the SEC.

:D
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext