One bid league?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: One bid league?

Postby MSUDuo » March 13th, 2021, 10:12 am

municup14 wrote:So can a team still make the Tournament if they have covid and can't finish their conference Tournament

Yes. Must decide by Tuesday if they can meet the requirements to participate. Just need 5 "healthy" players.
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby glm38 » March 14th, 2021, 6:07 pm

Nope. Not a one bid league this year. Hoping for a bulldog or rambler run.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Milanmiracle » March 14th, 2021, 7:13 pm

Milanmiracle wrote:
Red wrote:What can Drake do to help the MVC avoid being a one bid league? Would 16 conference wins be enough for an at large?

Run the table or 1 loss, then lose in the conference championship. That’s about the only way I see the MVC being a two bid league. This isn’t going to be a straight head to head evaluation and the eye test will be a big deal. There are teams right now who haven’t played or have played 1 game due to Covid. It will be almost impossible to evaluate a 25 game schedule vs a 12-14 game schedule. See Ohio State in the college football playoffs.

Well, I got that one wrong, I’ll own it.
Milanmiracle
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby VUGrad1314 » March 14th, 2021, 8:14 pm

6 Q1 and Q2 wins. More than any mid major bubble team. That's what made the difference I think. (Next closest mids had just 4. I'm shocked Louisville was left out but pleasantly so because it was in favor of Drake. I wonder if perhaps the committee picks a mid every year to get in to show that they're not totally biased and this was finally our year! Whatever the reason I will take it! I am so happy right now! Now the work begins to maintain this status going forward! I believe it can be done! But first we need to do well in this tournament!
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kyle_Saluki_17 » March 15th, 2021, 6:26 am

VUGrad1314 wrote:6 Q1 and Q2 wins. More than any mid major bubble team. That's what made the difference I think. (Next closest mids had just 4. I'm shocked Louisville was left out but pleasantly so because it was in favor of Drake. I wonder if perhaps the committee picks a mid every year to get in to show that they're not totally biased and this was finally our year! Whatever the reason I will take it! I am so happy right now! Now the work begins to maintain this status going forward! I believe it can be done! But first we need to do well in this tournament!

The MVC has a good recent history in the tournament. I believe it is something like 17 wins in the last 7 years? Pretty good for a conference that usually only has 1 team in!
Kyle_Saluki_17
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Red » January 31st, 2022, 12:56 pm

Probably time to resurrect this thread. Loyola safely in as an 8 or 9 in bracket matrix today, but I'm sure how many more losses they can sustain. Does the MVC get 2 in should Loyola crap the bed?
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Salukimadness86 » January 31st, 2022, 1:53 pm

Red wrote:Probably time to resurrect this thread. Loyola safely in as an 8 or 9 in bracket matrix today, but I'm sure how many more losses they can sustain. Does the MVC get 2 in should Loyola crap the bed?

IMO : Loyola needs to get the 1 or 2 seed at MVC tourney, AND make the championship game to have a shot at a at large bid. Lose in championship game and I think they still get in. Drake, MSU, UNI, and perhaps Bradley all have a shot at getting the automatic bid. Hoping for two teams in once again. Good for the conference overall.
Salukimadness86
All MVC
All MVC

Postby goramblers2011 » January 31st, 2022, 2:07 pm

Red wrote:Probably time to resurrect this thread. Loyola safely in as an 8 or 9 in bracket matrix today, but I'm sure how many more losses they can sustain. Does the MVC get 2 in should Loyola crap the bed?

Margin is extremely thin right now. Can afford one more Q2 loss, MAYBE two more. But with the way they have been playing and with the schedule they still have left (@MoSt, @Bradley, vs Drake, UNIx2), I think they'll sustain two or more losses and end up in a position of having to get the auto-bid in STL. Disappointing.
goramblers2011
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » January 31st, 2022, 2:13 pm

With the way the schedule is so backloaded for the Top 4 (top 5 if Bradley wins in Cedar Falls on Wednesday), I really think that 14-4 wins the league outright and it's not hard to see a big mess of a tie at 13-5.

Incredibly entertaining month of basketball but not so great for an extra bid.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bradley_townie » January 31st, 2022, 2:45 pm

It may be a one-bid league this year if Loyola falters, but when's the last time half the league was top 100 in KenPom? Ok, technically UNI is 101 but still shows how solid of a conference this is.
bradley_townie
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball