One bid league?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: One bid league?

Postby Khan4Cats » November 30th, 2016, 2:44 pm

uniftw wrote:
mule wrote:
specialsauce wrote:mule never said "expected".

Your point is still valid though. A UE fan commenting on scheduling is just hilarious all around.

:bow: I know. Any fan on this board east of the Mississippi river is not worthy of posting.

When was the last time a team east of the Mississippi won a NCAA tournament game?

The correct answer is actually 2007, when Southern Illinois made the Sweet 16. Illinois is a state east of the Mississippi for some of our more geographically challenged fans. Bradley (also from Illinois) made the Sweet 16 in 2006. Indiana State is the only team east of the Mississippi to make the NCAA since 2007.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » November 30th, 2016, 3:54 pm

Khan4Cats wrote:
The correct answer is actually 2007, when Southern Illinois made the Sweet 16. Illinois is a state east of the Mississippi for some of our more geographically challenged fans. Bradley (also from Illinois) made the Sweet 16 in 2006. Indiana State is the only team east of the Mississippi to make the NCAA since 2007.

I knew the answer. I was making a point. :buddies:
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » November 30th, 2016, 4:00 pm

specialsauce wrote:Spoken like a fan of a team who hasn't experienced success in quite a while.

Do you know how sports and sports fandom work? I'm guessing not.

You are a dou*****g

Hide behind your computer and bully people. That'll be fun for you.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby specialsauce » November 30th, 2016, 4:14 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
specialsauce wrote:Spoken like a fan of a team who hasn't experienced success in quite a while.

Do you know how sports and sports fandom work? I'm guessing not.

You are a dou*****g

Hide behind your computer and bully people. That'll be fun for you.

Excuse me? Who are you and where did you come from?

You're calling me out for supposedly "bullying" and then call me a douchebag from the other side of your computer. Hypocrite much?
Last edited by specialsauce on November 30th, 2016, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » November 30th, 2016, 4:15 pm

Aces1982 wrote:

1989....what does that have to do with anything? That is like saying Cubs fans had no say so or didn't know what they were talking about because the team they liked hadn't won a World Series in 300 years. Very childish and pretty stupid way of thinking.

The same goes with the scheduling remark. Did UE fans make the schedule? Again a very immature statement.

Maybe someday you will learn to have a grown up conversation.

Certain people of certain fanbases think since their program has had recent success they can walk around like God and post like they actually had anything to do with their success.
1. You don't know the answer, so why should your opinion on anything be trusted....off by about 2 decades.

"Recent" success? Please.

In the last 13 seasons, HIGH SCHOOL FRESHMAN AS UNBORN/BRAND NEW BABY, number of years UNI has
-7 NCAA appearances
-Won at least one game int he NCAA tournament in the last three NCAA trips
-Been ranked in the AP top 25 more times than anyone currently in the conference not named WSU combined....including a top 10 ranking
- 10 seasons of at least 20 wins (2 of the 3 were Jake's first 2 seasons in which he had 36 wins in those two years)
- More 30 win seasons than anyone in the conference not named WSU has combined
- Been in a post season tournament every year but one, and they turned down a tournament that year (2013-14)
- 7 conference titles (combined regular season/post season)
- Hired a head coach who is already 7th in league history in conference wins wins (114...Gregg Marshall is 6th at 117...Barry is 5th at 125) and 7th in all time wins (just 2 shy of moving into 6th and will move into 4th this year...Gregg Marshall is 10 a head. Once they get to 3rd and 4th it's a probably another 3 or 4 years to get to Dana Altman at 327)

So yeah, I guess if you want to count the last 13 years as "recent' and unstained success, then sure. Us UNI fans are guilty as charged. You know what? UNI fans did have a hand in the sustained success? Why? In the last 7 years we've donated enough to take our coach from 250K per year to a contract that will pay him $1,000,000 per year. That is all 100% privately funded by UNI fans and donors. I don't know the details of Marshall's contract, but I'd bet it's similar for funding. UNI is setting record fund raising levels every single year.

Maybe if other schools had fans willing to do the same and put that kind of money into the program we might see more than one school per decade east of the Mississippi make the tournament.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace75 » November 30th, 2016, 4:21 pm

uniftw wrote:
Aces1982 wrote:

1989....what does that have to do with anything? That is like saying Cubs fans had no say so or didn't know what they were talking about because the team they liked hadn't won a World Series in 300 years. Very childish and pretty stupid way of thinking.

The same goes with the scheduling remark. Did UE fans make the schedule? Again a very immature statement.

Maybe someday you will learn to have a grown up conversation.

Certain people of certain fanbases think since their program has had recent success they can walk around like God and post like they actually had anything to do with their success.
1. You don't know the answer, so why should your opinion on anything be trusted....off by about 2 decades.

"Recent" success? Please.

In the last 13 seasons, HIGH SCHOOL FRESHMAN AS UNBORN/BRAND NEW BABY, number of years UNI has
-7 NCAA appearances
-Won at least one game int he NCAA tournament in the last three NCAA trips
-Been ranked in the AP top 25 more times than anyone currently in the conference not named WSU combined....including a top 10 ranking
- 10 seasons of at least 20 wins (2 of the 3 were Jake's first 2 seasons in which he had 36 wins in those two years)
- More 30 win seasons than anyone in the conference not named WSU has combined
- Been in a post season tournament every year but one, and they turned down a tournament that year (2013-14)
- 7 conference titles (combined regular season/post season)
- Hired a head coach who is already 7th in league history in conference wins wins (114...Gregg Marshall is 6th at 117...Barry is 5th at 125) and 7th in all time wins (just 2 shy of moving into 6th and will move into 4th this year...Gregg Marshall is 10 a head. Once they get to 3rd and 4th it's a probably another 3 or 4 years to get to Dana Altman at 327)

So yeah, I guess if you want to count the last 13 years as "recent' and unstained success, then sure. Us UNI fans are guilty as charged. You know what? UNI fans did have a hand in the sustained success? Why? In the last 7 years we've donated enough to take our coach from 250K per year to a contract that will pay him $1,000,000 per year. That is all 100% privately funded by UNI fans and donors. I don't know the details of Marshall's contract, but I'd bet it's similar for funding. UNI is setting record fund raising levels every single year.

Maybe if other schools had fans willing to do the same and put that kind of money into the program we might see more than one school per decade east of the Mississippi make the tournament.

All Hail the great UNI! :bow:
Ace75
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby ptownbraves » November 30th, 2016, 8:56 pm

Bradley has spent a LOT of money on men's basketball the past 10 years between facilities and salaries. IIRC, Geno Ford was making more than Jacobson a couple years ago. Just goes to show that spending money doesn't always equate to success.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mule » November 30th, 2016, 10:34 pm

uniftw wrote: In the last 7 years we've donated enough to take our coach from 250K per year to a contract that will pay him $1,000,000 per year. That is all 100% privately funded by UNI fans and donors.

I take it by the inclusive we that you are one of those donors.
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Khan4Cats » December 1st, 2016, 8:08 am

ptownbraves wrote:

Bradley has spent a LOT of money on men's basketball the past 10 years between facilities and salaries. IIRC, Geno Ford was making more than Jacobson a couple years ago. Just goes to show that spending money doesn't always equate to success.

Bradley is one of the schools that could reach WSU-level success with the right hire because of their fundamental support/mentality. Basketball is the thing there. At UNI, we still have football and wrestling that take focus as well as an overall community/state view that we are the "3rd" school and less than Iowa or Iowa State. Other schools in the conference seem to have similar issues to overcome or just don't seem to care as much. Sure, fans will come if you win, but there isn't that base to push that direction if you don't.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSpringsBird » December 1st, 2016, 9:47 am

Khan4Cats wrote:
ptownbraves wrote:

Bradley is one of the schools that could reach WSU-level success with the right hire because of their fundamental support/mentality. Basketball is the thing there. At UNI, we still have football and wrestling that take focus as well as an overall community/state view that we are the "3rd" school and less than Iowa or Iowa State. Other schools in the conference seem to have similar issues to overcome or just don't seem to care as much. Sure, fans will come if you win, but there isn't that base to push that direction if you don't.

Spot on.
WSpringsBird
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball