One bid league?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: One bid league?

Postby musiccitybulldog » November 14th, 2019, 1:39 pm

A team has to have some good wins OOC, then almost run the table in the conference, be reasonably rated for a while, and when losing the conference tournament, the score has to be close. Seems this has been the story the last 20 years, maybe longer for an at large.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby RacerJoeD » November 14th, 2019, 5:04 pm

Not to butt in, but the most important part of receiving an at large like Belmont did last season is this... a weak bubble.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aargh » November 16th, 2019, 3:10 am

musiccitybulldog wrote:A team has to have some good wins OOC, then almost run the table in the conference, be reasonably rated for a while, and when losing the conference tournament, the score has to be close. Seems this has been the story the last 20 years, maybe longer for an at large.

This is truth.

Better win at least 1 (preferably 2) games against name teams in an MTE tourney, then have a couple of name teams on the OOC schedule and win most of those, maybe just 1 if those name teams are top-25 or top-40 type teams. Then don't have a single loss to a bottom-feeder in the Valley.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Birdfan2018 » November 24th, 2019, 8:33 pm

Not sure if this league deserves any bids this year.
Birdfan2018
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby VUGrad1314 » November 26th, 2019, 12:42 am

What is going on? Since Evansville's win over UK the entire conference has been absolutely terrible. I know it's tough competition to play when we play teams from the AAC on up and I want to be encouraged by all of the near misses but there have also been some downright awful losses and hope and being close can only sustain you for so long. So far UNI is the only team that looks like it has any hope of getting an at large or making any noise in March but they are getting absolutely no help. I realize that the seeds of progress are already being sown and it's obvious to see the upward trajectory of the likes of UNI Evansville Illinois State Missouri State and Valpo for instance but this year has been a tremendous disappointment for me as a fan of the MVC. This is not a post for me to advocate for Murray State's inclusion. They wouldn't have helped us any either but it's a major concern that the A-10 (The conference the MWC just jilted us for) is looking like a conference of world beaters and a potential God knows how many bids while our conference looks like this. Maybe Barry Hinson was right and we just need to accept perennial one bid status which is sad. I was excited as a Valpo fan to have a chance to join a multibid league and compete for at large bids if and when we ever got good enough to do so in this conference but it looks like we got here too late to make that happen. Hopefully I'm wrong and we'll be great again but I can't help but feel a bit discouraged by the collective performance of the conference after Loyola's Final Four run. (And yes I realize that Valpo has done literally nothing to help in any way and I've been very vocal about that on my own board we're cutting sports right now too Mens soccer and mens tennis are going away one immediately and one at the end of next year.) It's a sad time for the university and for the conference as a whole in a year that looked like it held great promise especially for the MVC as a whole and I was hoping Valpo and the MVC collectively would make it better. Maybe they will soon but when we see such a sharp decline in on field performance you have to worry about the transfer bug both in Valpo and in the MVC as a whole.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » November 26th, 2019, 11:58 am

JHC yesterday was a joke of a day.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Red » March 17th, 2020, 9:58 am

We've topped ourselves!!! Zero bid league!!

:Cheers:

j/k
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ACECARD » March 17th, 2020, 10:33 am

Red wrote:We've topped ourselves!!! Zero bid league!!

:Cheers:

j/k

LOL :+1:
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Blers » March 19th, 2020, 11:11 am

I don't know if it's been posted here but a few bracketologists had us as a two bid!

...in the NIT. Lunardi had UNI as a 2 seed (vs. Boise) and Loyola as an 8 (@Stanford).
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Red » December 30th, 2020, 3:49 pm

What can Drake do to help the MVC avoid being a one bid league? Would 16 conference wins be enough for an at large?
Red
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball