MVC Coaches on the Hot Seat

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Coaches on the Hot Seat

Postby Drakey » February 24th, 2016, 4:55 pm

I don't see any player development at Drake either. Oregundade decided he wanted to play defense this year, but still has no offensive game despite excellent shooting percentages. I don't think players are put in a position to succeed. I do think Schlatter has some potential, as do a lot of the players, if they were surrounded with a different supporting cast.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DUBulldog » February 24th, 2016, 9:38 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
DUBulldog wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
I like Ray G but this season has been disappointing. Bradley is bad but has clearly gotten better as the season has gone along. Drake has arguably gotten worse--or at least stayed the same.

Timmer, OG, and the Polish center are decent building blocks but I don't see much after that.

I like Abrahamson more than Drake fans but that dude is one of the worst defenders I've ever seen. He tried to guard everyone Bradley had in the game the other night and that player immediately went at him and scored. Antoine Pittman--who isn't a scoring machine--had 16 second half points and 10 in a three minute stretch when Abrahamson was "guarding" him.

Drakey beat me to it, but here goes.....

You saw what was, by far, Abrahamson's best offensive game of the conference season. Coming into the game, his Kenpom offensive rating in MVC games was 78, which represents a really bad offensive player. Add that to his clearly atrocious defense, and you can begin to see why Drake fans are not enamored of him.

On top of that, you add in the team's woeful record, the fact that Giacoletti spent all of last season telling Drake fans how great Abrahamson and Woodward were, and then throw in the fact that he's still starting and playing 30 minutes per game, and you can probably see where Drake fans' attitude comes from.

And, he pouts a lot on the court. One fan on Drakenation described his attitude as "detached arrogance", and I think that might be pretty accurate.

I thought of you (weird I know) during the first half of the game. Every time Abrahamson made a shot I said to me dad "Drake fans hate this guy. He hasn't made a shot all year." After his quick 13 he didn't do a whole lot after that except get offensive goaltending on a missed dunk and missed two huge FTs late in the game.

Woodward had a good game the first time against BU but Im not sure about him. Oregunde I like but they never get him the ball. I can't decide on Timmer. I want to like him but if he has to go right at all he is rendered ineffective.

Abrahamson back to his usual self today....0-7 from the field and none of them were close. 2 rebounds in 20+ minutes and his usual stellar defense.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby squirrel » February 25th, 2016, 11:03 am

Us Bradley folk are just totally envious of any player with any sort of offensive ability at this point.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ShockValue » March 7th, 2016, 6:46 pm

After the debacle that was this overall MVC season I am really worried that both Louisville and Okie St are going to go after Marshall. And if he leaves can we really blame him? Next year is a rebuild and the Valley could be even worse.
ShockValue
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Redhawk » March 8th, 2016, 9:11 am

ShockValue wrote:After the debacle that was this overall MVC season I am really worried that both Louisville and Okie St are going to go after Marshall. And if he leaves can we really blame him? Next year is a rebuild and the Valley could be even worse.

I doubt Okie St would be worth leaving the Shockers. That's a mid level team in the toughest conference in the country.

If Louisville came calling though...there's almost no way he could turn that down.
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ShoxINDST » March 8th, 2016, 9:54 am

Lansing is under pressure. ISUb is spiraling down
ShoxINDST
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Stickboy46 » March 8th, 2016, 10:17 am

Redhawk wrote:
ShockValue wrote:After the debacle that was this overall MVC season I am really worried that both Louisville and Okie St are going to go after Marshall. And if he leaves can we really blame him? Next year is a rebuild and the Valley could be even worse.

I doubt Okie St would be worth leaving the Shockers. That's a mid level team in the toughest conference in the country.

If Louisville came calling though...there's almost no way he could turn that down.

You don't think the shadow of the crap that happened there would keep him away?

Also, I don't think its as much of a rebuild next year (for WSU) as people think. The games we lost when healthy ... are games that Fred and Ron really tried to do WAY too much and didn't get others involved when they weren't hitting.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redhawk » March 8th, 2016, 10:39 am

Stickboy46 wrote:
Redhawk wrote:

You don't think the shadow of the crap that happened there would keep him away?

Also, I don't think its as much of a rebuild next year (for WSU) as people think. The games we lost when healthy ... are games that Fred and Ron really tried to do WAY too much and didn't get others involved when they weren't hitting.

NCAA Sanctions at Louisville might keep him away....but also might lead to a longer contract for more money (like Crean at IU) so he had enough time to weather the storm.
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » March 8th, 2016, 10:47 am

Louisville has more money than WSU could dream of for that program. They self imposed a ban and likely will get a slap on the wrist from the NCAA. That team is loaded with talent for next year, especially if Chinanu Onuaku returns to school. If he does that's a preseason top 10 team.

I'd have to believe Pitino will be back though. I've got family in the Louisville area. They went to Louisville. Big time boosters to the university. Season tickets to FB, BB, VB, baseball and WBB. They've given no indication Pitino won't be back.

Because of them I'm a Lousiville fan - I don't know that I could handle Greggggg being the HC there... :buddies:
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbird Recon » March 9th, 2016, 3:38 pm

Muller has 4 more years on his contract. He got an extension after last season's late season success.
Twitter: @RedbirdRecon
Blog: redbirdrecon.blogspot.com
Redbird Recon
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball