All-MVC Picks

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: All-MVC Picks

Postby uniftw » March 8th, 2016, 9:25 am

shockem wrote:Wes was clearly the heart and soul of UNI this year, and hands down their best player. Question for UNI fans: what's the plan for next year? will Jacobsen have a similar offense where he isolates one guy and lets him play one on one? If so, who takes over Washpun's role? Are you all concerned about next year's team or do you think you can improve over this year?

Is there concern replacing Wes, Bo and Paulie? Yes.
Is the talent there do to so? Absolutely.

McCloud coming in likely starts, at PG, I believe. He is, from everything I can tell, the real deal.
Wyatt starts at the 2. He hasn't had gaudy numbers because he hasn't had too, but if you've watched UNI games his first two years you've seen that he plays like a 5th year senior already and has a very nice pull up from mid range.
Jeremy Morgan starts at the 3. He'll need to be a bit more consistent on offense, but will be front runner for DPOY and 1st team all conference, I believe.
Klint Carlson starts at the 4. What you saw him do in the MVC tournament is the real Carlson. That's what he's going to do for the next three years.
Koch starts at the 5. He's only going to get better, and was already better than expected this year.

Off the bench
PF - Luke McDonnell rFr - 6'9 post player that, up until tip of game 1, was thought he could start, or at the least, play and be a major contributor, right away. He really seems to remind people of Adam Koch. He averaged 22 ppg, 13 rebounds per game in hs and had 117 blocks as a senior. http://unipanthers.com/roster.aspx?rp_i ... ath=mbball

PG - Spencer Haldeman rFr - averaged 25 ppg as a senior and had 119 assists as a senior. He's a hell of a shooter. He really could start as PG next year. I think he and McCleod are going to be a Wes/Deon situation from last year. One starts but they play equal minutes. He and Luke played AAU ball together growing up and are from the same city http://unipanthers.com/roster.aspx?rp_i ... ath=mbball

WG - Isaiah Brown - 6'5 3* kid our of Texas. Top 25 recruit in state of Texas. He plays like a cross between Jeremy Morgan, Wes Washpun and Paul Jesperson. He's a shooter, real good shooter. Seems to play defense as hard as Morgan and has Wes's athletic ability but in a 6'5 frame. He launches NBA threes without thinking. I've never seen a UNI recruit with his type of highlight tape. It takes a special kind of mentality to play for Jake. If he can do that he'll be dangerous. http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3275121/hig ... /277037378

C - Justin Dahl - rFr - 6-11 260lbs. Not built like your "typical" UNI center. Averaged 18.6 ppg 16.9 rpg and 3.5 bpg in HS. 4 year letter winner in football...imagine lining up across from that.

C - Ted Freidman - 6'10 rJr. We know what he is. He's zero threat on offense, but plays good minutes on defense. Assuming Justin makes the transition to the college game Ted's minutes will be low. He's a smart kid. Extremely nice. Just doesn't have the offense for be a key factor. I'd like to see that change. http://unipanthers.com/roster.aspx?rp_i ... ath=mbball

Deep bench and almost never play:
SG - Robbie Knarr - a ton of promise in HS. Was going to set state scoring record (or 3 point makes record, don't remember) in Illinois until blowing his ACL out before his senior year. Did it again at UNI early in his rFr year. He just doesn't have the movement anymore. http://unipanthers.com/roster.aspx?rp_i ... ath=mbball

Lincoln Conery - 6'7 230 lb rFr. He's a walk on. He's grown up going to UNI games his whole life. Family is MASSIVE UNI fans. Pictures of him and Coach Jake from when Jake was just an assistant at UNI. Decent HS stats but was on a bad team, offers to play D2 level. I'd compare him to Max Martino from previous years. Super smart. Works ass of in practice. Would give anything for the program. Likely won't see the floor until JR year in any meaningful way. http://unipanthers.com/roster.aspx?rp_i ... ath=mbball

Redshirt:
Tanner Lohaus - 6'7 215lb forward - yep Wyatt's younger brother. He's a lot like Carlson. Oversized 3 or wing 4. Plays a lot like his brother, but 6 or 7 inches taller. Missed a few games with a high ankle sprain but is shooting 63.5 % from the floor, only taken 8 3's, and needs to improve FT shooting. Tough for him to put up a ton of stats (just like it was for Morgan and Wyatt). That team has a kid going to Iowa (fran McCaffery's oldest), Mccaffery's youngest who will be D1, and a few other kids that could be D1 as well.

That leaves 1 open ride, I believe. If the right person comes available as a grad transfer Jake will take him. He's said as much. If not, I think we bank it.

It's going to be a very young team other than Jeremy Morgan. He's going to be the only senior (barring a grad transfer). There will be 3 or 4 freshman that contribute in major ways. That's a scary way to hedge your bets, but do you really want to bet against Jacobson at this point? Even if next year is down, and for UNI that means 5th place, think what the years after that are going to bring.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Redhawk » March 8th, 2016, 10:22 am

Thanks for the detailed scouting report on UNI for next season uniftw. This is the kind of stuff I love reading
on this site.

I was really impressed with Carlson and Koch in the second half of the Valley season and both
should only get better. It will be interesting to see how Brown fits into the mix. If he can shoot 3's
and play tough D that would fill a huge void with the seniors and eventually Morgan leaving.
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » March 8th, 2016, 11:00 am

Redhawk wrote:Thanks for the detailed scouting report on UNI for next season uniftw. This is the kind of stuff I love reading
on this site.

I was really impressed with Carlson and Koch in the second half of the Valley season and both
should only get better. It will be interesting to see how Brown fits into the mix. If he can shoot 3's
and play tough D that would fill a huge void with the seniors and eventually Morgan leaving.

Yeah. I'd expect to see a slightly easier OOC next year. Might pick up an east coach game or two. We play at UNC the next two years as part of the deal for them coming here this year. That game could get ugly :buddies: being so reliant on freshmen.

There will be holes. There might be another 2-6 stretch that will have UNI fans screaming mad, though not as mad as this years stretch. I think UNI pushes for a top 3 finish next year though.

WSU is likely the favorites again
Evansville looks to be a PIG team
Illinois State has all the talent but none of the IQ from it's players or coaches.
SIU loses Beane. I'll almost never bet against Barry, but losing Beane will really hurt.
Indiana State is a complete enigma to me with Lansing as coach.
Missouri State - see ISUb
Bradley has some real upside if the 1000000 freshman stick around but are still 2 or 3 years off
Drake is...well...Drake. Giac might be the worst coach in the league
Loyola Loses Montel James, Ear Peterson, Devon Turk and Jeff White - It's not Milton Doyle and.....Donte Ingram? Those are the only 2 over 5 PPG coming back.

Early look next year from me is

1. WSU
2. UNI/ISUr
3.UNI/ISUr
4. Missouri State
5. SIU
6. ISUb
7. Bradley
8. UE
9. Loyola
10. Drake

My confidence level after the fist 3 is low.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redhawk » March 8th, 2016, 11:22 am

uniftw wrote:

1. WSU
2. UNI/ISUr
3.UNI/ISUr
4. Missouri State
5. SIU
6. ISUb
7. Bradley
8. UE
9. Loyola
10. Drake

I can't give a appropriate outlook on ISUr until we see who stays (because someone always leaves under Muller) and who he brings in. Indications are the Birds are hot after JC products out of Florida. They have offered a 6'-3" athletic SG formally at Clemson as well as a 6'-6" Wing player. They definitely need more High BBIQ players but that would take almost a total roster overhaul. If we get a strong JUCO class then the top 3 should be feasible again if everyone else remains.
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » March 8th, 2016, 11:32 am

uniftw wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
uniftw wrote:This weekend further proves UNI fans point about it being a travishamockery Wes wasn't first team

No. It doesn't prove that. It proved that Wes had a great three game run and he was rewarded as such with the Tournament MOP award.

In MVC play Wes averaged over 15 PPG and 5 APG. In the MVC Tournament? 16 PPG and 5 APG.

Gee, sounds exactly like the regular season.

Which player on the First Team made it a travesty that they were on it as opposed to Wes?

it's a five person team. To put one on, another has to come off.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » March 8th, 2016, 11:37 am

Redhawk wrote:
uniftw wrote:

1. WSU
2. UNI/ISUr
3.UNI/ISUr
4. Missouri State
5. SIU
6. ISUb
7. Bradley
8. UE
9. Loyola
10. Drake

I can't give a appropriate outlook on ISUr until we see who stays (because someone always leaves under Muller) and who he brings in. Indications are the Birds are hot after JC products out of Florida. They have offered a 6'-3" athletic SG formally at Clemson as well as a 6'-6" Wing player. They definitely need more High BBIQ players but that would take almost a total roster overhaul. If we get a strong JUCO class then the top 3 should be feasible again if everyone else remains.

Agreed, and thought about adding that in regards to the Redbirds. They will certainly have more raw talent than most in the league, no matter what turnover happens. That alone will win them 6 or 7 games in this league. Then all they need is 5 games for things to fall their way/have a night nothing goes wrong and they are top 2/3. That's not out of the realm of likely for that team.

The issue is keeping the losses due to IQ down. I figure that will cost ISUr at least 2 conference games. If they keep that number to 3 or fewer they are in real good shape.

UNI is almost never the "most athletic" team on the court. They just happen to be the "smartest" and best coach almost every single time out.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » March 8th, 2016, 11:52 am

tribecalledquest wrote:[

Which player on the First Team made it a travesty that they were on it as opposed to Wes?

Travesty? None.
If I was replacing one? Beane.

Precedent has been set to take 6, and I'd argue that was a year that had a weaker case for 6 than this year.

Essentially Wes was punished because he plays the same position as FVV.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 8th, 2016, 12:10 pm

uniftw wrote:

Travesty? None.

Precedent has been set to take 6, and I'd argue that was a year that had a weaker case for 6 than this year.

Agreed uniftw - this was a topic of discussion when I mentioned Wes potentially replacing Baker on first team (before he had a great finish to his season) and got killed for it by the WSU gallery.

Then said we should take 6 players again. At the end of the day, I don't think Wes gives two s**** now, as it motivated him and his team with a guaranteed NCAA tourney.
Something the WSU "dominant" focused fans can not say at this time.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocktheheart » March 8th, 2016, 12:49 pm

uniftw wrote:

Travesty? None.

Did they take six or was there a tie for fifth which produced a sixth player on the first team?
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocktheheart » March 8th, 2016, 1:51 pm

shocktheheart wrote:
uniftw wrote:

Travesty? None.

Did they take six or was there a tie for fifth which produced a sixth player on the first team?

Answered my own question...there was a tie for fifth that is why there are six on the team.

http://www.mvc-sports.com/mbasketball/n ... t8s5kBRJrR
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball