Wichita State - in or out?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Wichita State - in or out?

Postby Play Angry » March 10th, 2016, 10:04 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Play Angry wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:Was this needed? It seems like you are just poking fun. I very much doubt this was a sincere comment...which shows some lack of class from you too.

FWIW, I think WSU is a lock for the tournament barring some crazy scenario of teams completely out winning the P5 conference tournaments.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Calm down. Why would you explode and call somebody classless after they say "Good luck on Sunday" in regard to your team's dream postseason scenario as of today? Illinois State appears to be very much on the bubble for the Vegas16, and I hope they can snipe a bid. It appears you are venting frustration with your team's predicament and it is aimed at the wrong source.

I agree that Wichita State is likely in the Tournament for the fifth straight season. Selection Sunday should be fun for all of us as we wait to see if our teams get their name called.

I removed the classless part in my message above. Sorry about that. I just misread the message and assumed you were making fun of us a bit.

Just a misunderstanding.

Ah, good deal. Cheers then and good luck to all MVC teams in the postseason.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby WSUShox88 » March 10th, 2016, 4:46 pm

Redbirdgrad wrote:Why do you always need to argue my friend. Why not a friendly discussion with someone with differing viewpoints? I guess that's not your style.

lol, you're complaining about friendly discussion, after a comment you made unprovoked about a team's "choke", which it wasn't even close to that. That's rich. If WSU "choked" to UNI in the semis, I'd really like to know what Illinois State did against Indiana State in the quarters. Would that be a strangulation?

Jerry Palm is moving WSU closer to the in line as we speak. He's back pedaling fast.

For all of the people that think WSU is out, I'd just like a list of the better 36 candidates. That's all. Go for it.
WSUShox88
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby acepurple84 » March 10th, 2016, 5:37 pm

Really hoping they are in. :bounce:
acepurple84
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Redbirdgrad » March 10th, 2016, 8:12 pm

WSUShox88 wrote:
Redbirdgrad wrote:Why do you always need to argue my friend. Why not a friendly discussion with someone with differing viewpoints? I guess that's not your style.

lol, you're complaining about friendly discussion, after a comment you made unprovoked about a team's "choke", which it wasn't even close to that. That's rich. If WSU "choked" to UNI in the semis, I'd really like to know what Illinois State did against Indiana State in the quarters. Would that be a strangulation?

Jerry Palm is moving WSU closer to the in line as we speak. He's back pedaling fast.

For all of the people that think WSU is out, I'd just like a list of the better 36 candidates. That's all. Go for it.

He's back ladies and gentlemen! And not a moment too soon!!! I missed you my friend!!!

Regarding the choke situation. ISU had to win the whole tourney this year to get in. No at large chance... Not our year. Not a choke job.

However Wichita had an at large wrapped up as long as they didn't fall all over themselves last weekend... And then Loyola happened. And Northern Iowa. That's the definition of a choke job but I wouldn't expect you to recognize it since it happens often to you guys in St. Louis. And this was when everyone was watching. It's exactly why we have the Valley Tourney the weekend before the big boys. So people will watch. You left the worst possible taste in everyone's mouth on the weekend it absolutely couldn't happen.

That being said I absolutely hope you're in and will be rooting for you guys when your name is called, as I expect it to be. But you're so anti-ISU that you don't realize everyone on this board is pulling for you. I've got an auction on Monday that I hope to be able to snag the Shockers in for decent value because I think you can win a couple.

A different screen name doesn't mean a different personality. You're still you. But I missed you the past few days!!! :Cheers: :Cheers:
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 10th, 2016, 8:30 pm

We didn't choke, we took a huge s**** all over that court.

Enjoyed every game of the tournament last weekend except our own...Not even for 1 minute
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Play Angry » March 11th, 2016, 9:30 am

Redbirdgrad wrote:I just don't think this is a good year for them. Their resume isn't worthy.

Let me put it to you this way. If you're sitting at home on Selection Sunday and a team with Wichita State's resume gets put in ahead of yours... are you upset? Of course so. If Wichita gets added to this field, the biggest snubs that didn't make it will be compared in a graphic with Wichita and it'll be clear who should have been in the dance.

Redbirdgrad wrote:As it currently sits, Utah is all Wichita has going for it. In my opinion that's not enough.

Redbirdgrad wrote:will be rooting for you guys when your name is called, as I expect it to be.

Jerry Palm, is that you?
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Play Angry » March 11th, 2016, 9:34 am

This morning's update of Lunardi's Bracketology:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

WSU still an 8 seed.

This morning's update from Palm at CBS Sports:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... palm_preSS

Miraculously, Wichita State has ascended 6 spots in 5 days while dormant, despite a so-so week for the bubble, to enter his bracket as a play-in 11 seed. Backpedaling gold medalist.

This morning's update at the BracketMatrix:

http://bracketmatrix.com/

WSU in 90 of 110 brackets, average seed 9.90.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby squirrel » March 11th, 2016, 9:40 am

One thing that helps Wichita is that many bubble teams in the power conferences have lost early, and so did the bubble teams that beat them. There will still be the odd tourney winner or two, usually one bubble team and one completely off the radar. As long as there aren't bubble teams making championship game runs, the bubble teams from last week get some elevation.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Play Angry » March 11th, 2016, 9:54 am

Yea, it has played out pretty typically with the exception of the drastic underperformance of top seeds in non-P5 conferences (St. Mary's, Monmouth and Valpo all made the bubble significantly more crowded; Hofstra IMO was never close enough to matter).

The only spectacular loss so far has been Texas Tech laying an egg to TCU. Maybe Vandy losing to Tennessee as well, although that was a much smaller upset. Many of the rest were inevitabilities of conference tournament seeding, i.e. Pitt vs. Syracuse being set up as a de facto elimination game. Those unofficial play-in games happen every year and those conference tournament brackets were all etched in stone by Saturday or Sunday at the very latest, so they really aren't surprises.

Should be a fun next few days with wall-to-wall action today and tomorrow.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 11th, 2016, 10:04 am

BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball