Wichita State - in or out?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Wichita State - in or out?

Postby Play Angry » March 11th, 2016, 12:42 pm

Redbirdgrad wrote:
Play Angry wrote:
Redbirdgrad wrote:I just don't think this is a good year for them. Their resume isn't worthy.

Let me put it to you this way. If you're sitting at home on Selection Sunday and a team with Wichita State's resume gets put in ahead of yours... are you upset? Of course so. If Wichita gets added to this field, the biggest snubs that didn't make it will be compared in a graphic with Wichita and it'll be clear who should have been in the dance.

Redbirdgrad wrote:As it currently sits, Utah is all Wichita has going for it. In my opinion that's not enough.

Redbirdgrad wrote:will be rooting for you guys when your name is called, as I expect it to be.

Jerry Palm, is that you?

I personally think the resume is terrible. I don't think it's worthy of an at-large bid. However I do believe that Wichita gets in based on name recognition.

AGAIN, I HOPE YOU DO, I just don't think it's deserved this year... that's all. It's really not that hard of a concept.

No need to yell. Why are you so combative and angry in every post?

I think if you are really, really mad at one particular poster, you should work on limiting your spats to them, as your fellow Redbirds fan above has suggested. Continuing to launch blanket assaults on fans of that same team who have done nothing to previously antagonize you projects a poor image which you may be unaware of given the heightened emotions you appear to be experiencing.

Continuing to say "I hope you get in!" in the same post or immediately following your posts with statements like "You choked and must be really upset about it. Sorry for your loss" understandably gives the impression that you aren't being sincere with your first statement. Maybe you are, but your continued insistence on rolling in the mud with a poster whose tone and presence you have decried all season does not provide much support.

Just some constructive suggestions - do with them what you will, and good luck to the Shocks (NCAA), Aces (NIT), and Redbirds (V16) as they watch the weekend's developments in anticipation of Sunday's big announcements.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby acepurple84 » March 11th, 2016, 12:50 pm

Again I hope they are in. The more in the tourney the better. Even if it because the Conference makes more money. I want both UNI and WSU to go all the way to the finals. :bounce:
acepurple84
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby CaliRdBrd » March 11th, 2016, 1:06 pm

Did Michigan's win over Indy just make the Shockers noose a little tighter?
CaliRdBrd
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » March 11th, 2016, 1:16 pm

Redbirdgrad wrote:
WSUShox88 wrote:
3 seed losing to a 6 seed who was tanking the end of the year, in the quarter = non-choke
1 seed losing to a 4 seed who has won 11 of its last 12 games, in the semis = choke

Got it. With logic like that, I can see why you generate so many arguments.

I guess your definition of choke is different than mine. I can agree to disagree on this point since you're so friendly about it.

ISU had nothing on the line. We had to win out and while we had an outside shot, we had lost 2 of the last 3 games and weren't really setting the world on fire entering the MVC Tourney. We played terribly, no getting around that. But to choke you have to actually have something on the line. I'm not sure many people outside of Normal were picking the Birds to win the tourney. Thus, not a choke job. We just played like crap and got beat.

Honestly, I don't like to side with someone like WSUShox88, but ISUr had everything on the line in STL. They absolutely had to win to get in. That is everything. WSU did not have to win to get in. They are on the bubble, but still likely in even with the loss in the quarters. I would say ISUr did have a bigger choke job in STL and had WAY more to play for than WSU did. The team that had the least on the line in STL was the Shox due to having a good shot at making it in as an at large. Everyone else had everything to play for win and you are in. The Redbirds pooped on themselves while firmly having both hands around their neck.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 11th, 2016, 1:28 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:
The Redbirds pooped on themselves while firmly having both hands around their neck.

:+1:

It was a "shi**y" performance
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUShox88 » March 11th, 2016, 2:10 pm

Redbirdgrad wrote:I personally think the resume is terrible. I don't think it's worthy of an at-large bid. However I do believe that Wichita gets in based on name recognition.

AGAIN, I HOPE YOU DO, I just don't think it's deserved this year... that's all. It's really not that hard of a concept.

Terrible? lol Ok, that's cool. Just name 36 at-large resumes that are better. Hell, I'll make it easier. Name 25. Go for it. But you won't. Why? Because you can't. You're so flippant and adamant about WSU's resume not being "at-large worthy" that you haven't even compared it with the rest of the field. That's why you have an agenda. You have no case to what you say. You just say it. Without any facts. Because you hate WSU. At least just be honest about it instead of tiptoeing on egg shells about it while trying to act all innocent with the "I HOPE YOU ARE IN IT" screamfest.

Honestly you should probably sit this one out. Your bias, or anti-bias is getting in the way of a basketball discussion once again.
WSUShox88
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby WSUShox88 » March 11th, 2016, 2:12 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:
Redbirdgrad wrote:
WSUShox88 wrote:
3 seed losing to a 6 seed who was tanking the end of the year, in the quarter = non-choke
1 seed losing to a 4 seed who has won 11 of its last 12 games, in the semis = choke

Got it. With logic like that, I can see why you generate so many arguments.

I guess your definition of choke is different than mine. I can agree to disagree on this point since you're so friendly about it.

ISU had nothing on the line. We had to win out and while we had an outside shot, we had lost 2 of the last 3 games and weren't really setting the world on fire entering the MVC Tourney. We played terribly, no getting around that. But to choke you have to actually have something on the line. I'm not sure many people outside of Normal were picking the Birds to win the tourney. Thus, not a choke job. We just played like crap and got beat.

Honestly, I don't like to side with someone like WSUShox88, but ISUr had everything on the line in STL. They absolutely had to win to get in. That is everything. WSU did not have to win to get in. They are on the bubble, but still likely in even with the loss in the quarters. I would say ISUr did have a bigger choke job in STL and had WAY more to play for than WSU did. The team that had the least on the line in STL was the Shox due to having a good shot at making it in as an at large. Everyone else had everything to play for win and you are in. The Redbirds pooped on themselves while firmly having both hands around their neck.

:+1:

Perfectly stated '83. And it makes perfect sense. I wonder if there will be any spin put on that one.
WSUShox88
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby WSUShox88 » March 11th, 2016, 2:15 pm

[quote="Red"][quote="BirdsEyeView"]Lock.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bubblewatch[/quote]

Good for the MVC but I just don't get it. If the jerseys said Drake or Valpo, would they be a lock with that resume?[/quote]

So when P5 schools get in because of the jerseys on their chests, it's accepted and not talked about. But if it happens to a Valley school, there's now a problem with it?

They'll get in if they're one of the best 36 at large teams. And that's how it should be for everybody. Period.

If they do get in on any clout, then it is clout that has been earned.
WSUShox88
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Redbirdgrad » March 11th, 2016, 3:28 pm

Play Angry wrote:No need to yell. Why are you so combative and angry in every post?

I think if you are really, really mad at one particular poster, you should work on limiting your spats to them, as your fellow Redbirds fan above has suggested. Continuing to launch blanket assaults on fans of that same team who have done nothing to previously antagonize you projects a poor image which you may be unaware of given the heightened emotions you appear to be experiencing.

Continuing to say "I hope you get in!" in the same post or immediately following your posts with statements like "You choked and must be really upset about it. Sorry for your loss" understandably gives the impression that you aren't being sincere with your first statement. Maybe you are, but your continued insistence on rolling in the mud with a poster whose tone and presence you have decried all season does not provide much support.

Just some constructive suggestions - do with them what you will, and good luck to the Shocks (NCAA), Aces (NIT), and Redbirds (V16) as they watch the weekend's developments in anticipation of Sunday's big announcements.

Yelling? Who's yelling? I emphasized a statement due to a lack of understanding of my position. It's being thrown around that I have an agenda which is tainting my viewpoint. I'm attempting to show that it's not. Those outside of the Kansas borders can probably understand that, but once you say anything negative to the almighty Wichita machine, Shockers come out of the woodwork to try and squash that out. Sorry, wont happen here.

You do realize it is possible to both want a team to make the tournament and at the same time not believe they should be in, correct? That's my entire position. I want them to be in, but I don't think the resume is there. That's all.

Do I use terminology and phrasing which may take away from my viewpoint because I'm "attacking" Wichita? Probably. Tough, deal with it. ISU fans put up with it year-long out of Wichita (not just one fan in my experience, so this isn't a personal vendetta either). But that doesn't and shouldn't take away from the point of my posts.

I appreciate the constructive criticism, I truly do. Now here's some back. The next time someone has a differing viewpoint to yours, know that it's ok to have that. It's a message board. We're talking about something subjective, yet the Wichita fanbase is treating this as an objective fact that has no wiggle room. It's a foregone conclusion that the Shockers are in. I'm sorry, I just happen to disagree. Others do as well. That's how life works. It's ok to disagree.

I wish Wichita all the luck in the world should they make the Big Dance. I'll be in their corner rooting!
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 11th, 2016, 4:13 pm

Redbirdgrad wrote:
Play Angry wrote:No need to yell. Why are you so combative and angry in every post?

Yelling? Who's yelling? I emphasized a statement due to a lack of understanding of my position. It's being thrown around that I have an agenda which is tainting my viewpoint. I'm attempting to show that it's not. Those outside of the Kansas borders can probably understand that, but once you say anything negative to the almighty Wichita machine, Shockers come out of the woodwork to try and squash that out. Sorry, wont happen here.

You do realize it is possible to both want a team to make the tournament and at the same time not believe they should be in, correct? That's my entire position. I want them to be in, but I don't think the resume is there. That's all.

Do I use terminology and phrasing which may take away from my viewpoint because I'm "attacking" Wichita? Probably. Tough, deal with it. ISU fans put up with it year-long out of Wichita (not just one fan in my experience, so this isn't a personal vendetta either). But that doesn't and shouldn't take away from the point of my posts.

I appreciate the constructive criticism, I truly do. Now here's some back. The next time someone has a differing viewpoint to yours, know that it's ok to have that. It's a message board. We're talking about something subjective, yet the Wichita fanbase is treating this as an objective fact that has no wiggle room. It's a foregone conclusion that the Shockers are in. I'm sorry, I just happen to disagree. Others do as well. That's how life works. It's ok to disagree.

I wish Wichita all the luck in the world should they make the Big Dance. I'll be in their corner rooting!

Solid post Redbirdgrad.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball