NCAA Tournament - UNI vs Texas A&M game thread

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: NCAA Tournament - UNI vs Texas A&M game thread

Postby Red » March 21st, 2016, 11:10 am

musiccitybulldog wrote:Was it just me...or did anyone else think UNI was getting fouled into oblivion on those inbounds possessions?

Granted UNI may have handled the situation in different manners but I thought many times they would be going to the line...and no call?

Lots of contact. The bigger one to me was the foul they actually called on Jesperson with 11 seconds left and he was obviously avoiding any contact at all.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » March 21st, 2016, 12:09 pm

musiccitybulldog wrote:Was it just me...or did anyone else think UNI was getting fouled into oblivion on those inbounds possessions?

Granted UNI may have handled the situation in different manners but I thought many times they would be going to the line...and no call?

Mugged...but it wasn't called - especially with Washpun in the corner. He was getting hip check out of bounds.

Sometimes I think refs get caught up in runs that are happening as well and may subconsciously let things go/call things that go in favor of the run.

Damn...what could have been
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » March 21st, 2016, 2:36 pm

Rumor is Matt Bohannon tore his ACL in the last minutes of the game....then went back out and played 2 OT's trying to get the win for his team.

EDIT - THANKFULLY IT SOUNDS LIKE IT WAS A HIGH ANKLE/KNEE SPRAIN.

None of you are around this area to know the kind of impact these players have off the court. I can say how great they are and it will sound like typical speak about a player. Those three seniors...what they meant to the program, the university, and the community of Cedar Falls can't be overstated. The class in which they carried themselves is impossible to put into words.

Damn, I'm going to miss them.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bleach » March 21st, 2016, 6:35 pm

As bad as that was, it only happens by being there. I only wish the Bears had a chance to be where you guys were.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ricardo del Rio » March 22nd, 2016, 10:22 am

uniftw wrote:Fuk

That hurts

Use it as motivation

Somehow the sun came up today

UNI is a far better program, and university, because of what Paul, Wes and Matty Bo brought

Sad to see it end that way but last night won't define the season. The fight this team showed to get back from 10-11 (2-6) will.

:Cheers:

Yes! Two thumbs up, way up.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » March 22nd, 2016, 10:26 am

uniftw wrote:

Mugged...but it wasn't called - especially with Washpun in the corner. He was getting hip check out of bounds.

Sometimes I think refs get caught up in runs that are happening as well and may subconsciously let things go/call things that go in favor of the run.

In the waning seconds of a game, refs are reluctant to make fouls calls because they do not want to be a deciding factor in determining the winner and loser.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby LanceShock » March 22nd, 2016, 10:58 am

Ricardo del Rio wrote:
uniftw wrote:

In the waning seconds of a game, refs are reluctant to make fouls calls because they do not want to be a deciding factor in determining the winner and loser.

If you don't want to call a foul because it would be a deciding factor in the game, why have the rule in the first place? If the rule is a good rule, doing the action that is a foul can be a deciding factor in the game. If what ever action it is that is a foul doesn't impact the game, why is it a foul in the first place? Not calling the foul in that case is having as much an impact on the potential outcome as calling it. I do not understand why something is no longer a foul just because time is running out.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » March 22nd, 2016, 11:23 am

Ricardo del Rio wrote:
uniftw wrote:

By not calling a foul because you don't want to determine the outcome you are determining the outcome....especially when calling a bitch ass foul like the one against Paul on the lay up
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirdgrad » March 22nd, 2016, 12:13 pm

Agreed with Lanceshock and UNIftw,

The officiating was terrible down the stretch. The lead in the story is Northern Iowa blew a lead it shouldn't have, for any reason, but the officiating granted them no favors what-so-ever and played a definite role in the outcome.

The sidenote story is how officiating can sometimes get wrapped up in the emotions of games, and it causes them to subjectively apply rules which are objective in the first place. They blow a whistle because the crowd crescendo, or they swallow it because of the intensity of the defense. This happens in a non-con game just as much as on the national stage, and you can tell it happens because of the dramatics when the ref calls the foul. If you're in Wichita and the Shockers are making a run, and FVV slides over to play help defense under the basket... even it's a very questionable charge call, the ref will run to practically mid-court and pump his arm out playing to the crowd because that call "felt" right in the heat of the moment. And it's not just Wichita, not picking on them at all, it happens at ISU, Duke, Podunk U. If the ref wants to get involved with the emotions of the game... it can easily happen.

This time it happened and helped send UNI home. All it took was for ONE of those two questionable calls to go the other way and the Panthers are still playing right now.
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Postby acesfool » March 22nd, 2016, 12:34 pm

uniftw wrote:

I completely agree about the refs and how the call the game during comebacks. It was the main reason for the Wichita comeback against Miami as well. The Miami coach turned the tide when he got the technical. Sometimes a coach has to take one to get the officials to call the game correctly.
acesfool
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball