Wichita State at #17 San Diego State

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Wichita State at #17 San Diego State

Postby SycamoreFanatic » December 5th, 2010, 5:23 am

So the great "walks on water" team from Wichita has some problems, huh? I root for every Valley team in the non-con, except for the Shockers. Always like to see them lose, no matter what.

:wave:
SycamoreFanatic
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Snaggletooth » December 5th, 2010, 8:27 am

SycamoreFanatic wrote:So the great "walks on water" team from Wichita has some problems, huh? I root for every Valley team in the non-con, except for the Shockers. Always like to see them lose, no matter what.

If I was Suc-a-more fan I wouldn't be bagging on anybody after the log your team dropped yesterday. If your year is made on watching WSU lose and Suc-a-more team win, your life is going to suck for the foreseeable future.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » December 5th, 2010, 9:45 am

WSU returned the entire front court from last year, but so far the front court looks worse than last year's version. If the coaching staff can't find a way to make even 1 of 4 front court players improve from year to year, then I don't see a lot of reason to think they will be bale to teach Orukpe how to play basketball.

Demetric Williams looks better than he did a year ago, but nowhere near how he looked at the end of last year.

Even with all of WSU's experience, WSU had a So or a first-year trfr attempting to bring the ball up the court when SDSU made their run. In a 3-minute stretch, they managed to get the ball across half-court twice. Both times, Durley shot early in the shot clock - once from 3 and another from 17'. Panic and a need to be the "hero" hurt WSU last night. Get the fouls under control, and the combination of players that gave up the run won't be on the court.

Of all the bad things about last night's game and WSU's season to this point, WSU has played 74 solid minutes against top-20 teams either in true road games or neutral courts. A 3-minute stretch in each game sunk the effort in the other 37 minutes of the game.

Play 40 minutes and get fouls under control and WSU is about where they were expected at the beginning of the season. SDSU scored 11 more points on FTs than WSU. So far, WSU is one of few Valley teams with no unexpected losses.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby iSASO » December 5th, 2010, 11:37 am

SycamoreFanatic wrote:So the great "walks on water" team from Wichita has some problems, huh? I root for every Valley team in the non-con, except for the Shockers. Always like to see them lose, no matter what.

:wave:

I love it when people out themselves. SycFan, so is your team prepared to take this conference by the horns and represent it in the Sweet 16 or are you celebrating the overall sucktitude of the whole conference? Which team other than yours is your favorite to win the Valley title and advance in the NCAA Tournament?

Let's dig into this anti-WSU thing a little more. You root against WSU in the NCAA Tournament, and every non-conference game, every year no matter the opponent? You root against your own teams' RPI and SOS?
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Little Eddie » December 5th, 2010, 11:51 am

Please stay on topic here...I think most fans should be unhappy with their respective teams play right now. Baiting or trolling (a new rule here on mvcfans) is not acceptable...

As for this game and the league...I think the players and staffs of each Valley team (including the Shockers) need to start taking a look in the mirror. We, as fans, really can't do anything but they can. Consistent effort night in and night out is a must no matter the opponent. No team in the Valley is good enough to just show up and notch a W. I don't want to hear players and staff saying after games that they need to work harder at this...or show more effort w/ rebounds...whatever. Effort and hard work should be a given at this level.

Sorry...continue on w/ the WSU vs SDSU conversation please. Also, I might add, that maybe SDSU is just that good...WSU may have just come up against a better team? Unsure, as I didn't see the game myself but that could explain some things...maybe they're just farther along than the Shocks. Lots of season left ya know...
Little Eddie
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Ace Dad » December 5th, 2010, 12:30 pm

Short highlight wrap-up from the Mountain West website:

http://www.themtn.tv/pages/video
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » December 5th, 2010, 12:41 pm

Ace Dad wrote:Short highlight wrap-up from the Mountain West website:

http://www.themtn.tv/pages/video

No need for the highlight video, the two minutes of the total WSU meltdown is still burned in my memory. At least it will all make for a very dynamic conference season.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby pawball » December 5th, 2010, 12:54 pm

Little Eddie wrote:Please stay on topic here...I think most fans should be unhappy with their respective teams play right now. Baiting or trolling (a new rule here on mvcfans) is not acceptable...

As for this game and the league...I think the players and staffs of each Valley team (including the Shockers) need to start taking a look in the mirror. We, as fans, really can't do anything but they can. Consistent effort night in and night out is a must no matter the opponent. No team in the Valley is good enough to just show up and notch a W. I don't want to hear players and staff saying after games that they need to work harder at this...or show more effort w/ rebounds...whatever. Effort and hard work should be a given at this level.

Sorry...continue on w/ the WSU vs SDSU conversation please. Also, I might add, that maybe SDSU is just that good...WSU may have just come up against a better team? Unsure, as I didn't see the game myself but that could explain some things...maybe they're just farther along than the Shocks. Lots of season left ya know...

Going into the #17 team's den and playing them tough as long as the Shocks did ain't shameful. I'm sure Marshall will use this experience to help build the team into a stronger unit.
pawball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby WSUbballer » December 5th, 2010, 12:57 pm

[quote="SycamoreFanatic"]So the great "walks on water" team from Wichita has some problems, huh? I root for every Valley team in the non-con, except for the Shockers. Always like to see them lose, no matter what.

:wave:[/quote]

Are you really opening up your hole after a 30 point beatdown against a horrible Wyoming team?

This quote right here is the type of stuff that always puts back the Sycamore fanbase back by about 20 years. This is why you guys never get any respect and have to whine to no end on your message board about it.
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby blueblood » December 5th, 2010, 1:01 pm

When I looked at the lines yesterday I was surprised to see SDSU was a 9.5 favorite. Before I pulled the trigger on taking WSU I looked at their schedule. They have beaten Gonzaga, St, Mary's and now stay unbeaten with a win over WSU. I would say SDSU is just a good team. It shows how bad the MVC overall is when our preseason favorite is a 9.5 dog to SDSU but hey CU is a 7.5 dog to unl.
blueblood
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball