Report: Wichita State has contacted Mountain West

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Report: Wichita State has contacted Mountain West

Postby Cdizzle » September 2nd, 2016, 8:59 am

Remember that time Tennessee paid Martin like 2MM/yr and then thought they were too good for him?

Good times.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby sixth ace » September 2nd, 2016, 10:56 am

Cdizzle wrote:The fact that Marty Simmons is still the coach at Evansville should probably preclude any fans of said school from participating in this pity-party.

THAT, is not trying.

Marty Simmons is the coach of Evansville. While not paid as other schools in the Valley, All 4 graduate have sign professional basketball contracts. They're living the Dream, Coach Simmons help them achieve That's worth more than $$$$.

:Cheers:
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » September 2nd, 2016, 11:03 am

Was it amillion or $600,000? Or $450,000? I've heard them all thrown out as to what MSU offered Cuonzo. I have this from way back when it happened:

Re: Counzo Martin new Tennessee Vols coach
Postby MSUDuo » March 27th, 2011, 6:19 pm

Haha wrote:
What was Martin making and what was the planned increase? I guess what I'm asking is how high do you think MSU is willing to pay if they come across the right experienced/successful coach.

I don't mean that to sound jerky.

He was at about 300k and the raise was to about 600k.

I would imagine that the new coach will be back at around 300k as 600k is probably our ceiling..
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » September 2nd, 2016, 11:04 am

sixth ace wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:The fact that Marty Simmons is still the coach at Evansville should probably preclude any fans of said school from participating in this pity-party.

THAT, is not trying.

Marty Simmons is the coach of Evansville. While not paid as other schools in the Valley, All 4 graduate have sign professional basketball contracts. They're living the Dream, Coach Simmons help them achieve That's worth more than $$$$.

:Cheers:

or it means Evansville underachieved with the talent they had....
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » September 2nd, 2016, 12:13 pm

MoValley John wrote:Was it amillion or $600,000? Or $450,000? I've heard them all thrown out as to what MSU offered Cuonzo. I have this from way back when it happened:

Re: Counzo Martin new Tennessee Vols coach
Postby MSUDuo » March 27th, 2011, 6:19 pm

Haha wrote:
What was Martin making and what was the planned increase? I guess what I'm asking is how high do you think MSU is willing to pay if they come across the right experienced/successful coach.

I don't mean that to sound jerky.

He was at about 300k and the raise was to about 600k.

I would imagine that the new coach will be back at around 300k as 600k is probably our ceiling..

I could be wrong but I thought that at least our local paper reported he (Cuonzo ) was offered a package deal that was close to 1 million. I think that package deal included not just salary but $$ from other sources like the Bears tv show. I thought the initial offer was 600k but that we ended up raising the offer substantially.

I feel fairly confidant that we could put together enough $$ for a first class coach like Jacobsen. But who knows for sure. This is the same athletic dept that gave Lusk that ridiculous extension.

Imo the real problem for the Bears and the rest of the Valley is finding a first class coach that actually likes the valley enough to stay. Excepting wsu and uni of course.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby havoc » September 2nd, 2016, 12:41 pm

glm38 wrote:
Exactly. It's not like msu didn't make a good effort to keep Martin. We did. Some would argue it was done too late? But IMO it wouldn't have mattered. We offered around 1 million per. Tennessee offered over 2 million if I remember right. No one in the valley except WSU could have matched that.

Martin's salary at Tennessee was $1.3 million.

http://tennessee.247sports.com/Article/ ... erge-25369

Jacobson took over a team that had been to three straight NCAA tournaments and won 32 conference games his first three years.

Martin took over for a coach that was fired that was in the play-in-game the year previous and won 26 games in his three years and an outright MVC regular season championship.
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby UEACES80 » September 2nd, 2016, 1:03 pm

Well said - sixthace :+1:

Obviously Marty must be able to coach a little since he coached his team to defeat Butler both years they went to the Final Four and Wichita twice the year they went to the Final Four. UE simply isn't blessed with a donor as willing as the Koch Brothers to throw millions at the Athletic Department. Given the budget I think he gets a lot out of the recruits he gets. While others like to think he under achieves with great players - remember those supposed great players usually end up at UE as not highly sought after recruits. Examples Jason Holsinger, Shy Ely, Colt Ryan, DJ Ballantine and Egidijus Mockevicius - wonder who coached them up maybe just playing against UNI and Wichita made them who they are and the UE staff is simply lucky to be drawing a salary.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby SubGod22 » September 2nd, 2016, 1:27 pm

This is the problem with Evansville. They're perfectly content to do nothing. I'm not sure they're alone, but their fans are the most vocal about enjoying not ever playing in meaningful post season games.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UEACES80 » September 2nd, 2016, 2:26 pm

This is the problem with Evansville. They're perfectly content to do nothing. I'm not sure they're alone, but their fans are the most vocal about enjoying not ever playing in meaningful post season games.

Jeez - where does this thought come from - UE fans want post season as much as Loyola to the north / Wichita to south. :huh:
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby AndShock » September 2nd, 2016, 2:52 pm

UEACES80 wrote:

Jeez - where does this thought come from - UE fans want post season as much as Loyola to the north / Wichita to south. :huh:

If Marty is doing the best he can with the budget that he is given then the budget needs to be raised or Wichita State and Evansville do not belong in the same conference.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball