Report: Wichita State has contacted Mountain West

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Report: Wichita State has contacted Mountain West

Postby Dean Wormer » September 6th, 2016, 11:01 am

There is no question the financial challenges at smaller private schools are different than the larger state schools.

In the case of most of the "successful privates" listed, they found success first, prior to increasing the budgets. That was certainly the case for both Xavier and Butler. 20 years ago, Butler was denied admission to the MVC, the program was weak, attendance sucked, and coaches pay was poor. After winning a few conference titles in a weakened Horizon, getting to the dance and knocking off a few upsets, things started to change. But realistically, until Brad Stevens put them in back to back title games, their spending was nothing to brag about.

Currently Bradley has some resources to throw at a coach. That certainly didn't work with Geno, and if Wardle goes four years without success, and attendance continues to plumment, what will they have to offer the next guy?

I will give credit to UNI on this. They brought Jacobson in at peanuts, he produced, and they rewarded him based upon that. I think it's safe to say that most of the Valley would do the same if the lower paid coach produced what Jacobson did. I certainly think MSU, InSU and Evansville would at least.

Evansville is a little more perplexing. Simmons pay is poor, but has he really earned anything more? There is spending on facilities, which shows some commitment. The 80's and 90's proved if they are winning, they will draw large crowds. They had a large turnout in St Louis this year, with considerably more fans than UNI at the title game. A couple of real postseason berths, and there is no reason not to expect crowds of 8500+ in the Ford Center each night. What would an extra 3500 tickets sold to each game bring to the athletic department? It appears that Simmons is doing just enough to keep his job, but few in the University are happy with the results, or are willing to give him more. Whether they are happy or not, Simmons isn't bringing more revenue to the program. Regardless, it probably needs to come to a head soon, the status quo is going to run out pretty quick.

Some of you are quick to base the future strictly on coaches salaries....Geno and Lowrey ,the poster boy of overpaid incompetence, are perfect examples of what that doesn't always fly.
Dean Wormer
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cdizzle » September 6th, 2016, 11:03 am

sixth ace wrote:Then the thread is misleading as I thought WSU was contacting the MWC. I don't see Evansville going anywhere but to the top of the MVC!

:Cheers:

1. Do you want WSU to leave the Valley?

2. What leads you to believe that a coach that has had 9 years and has failed to compete for the top spot in the Valley 1 time will suddenly lead Evansville to the top of the league?
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » September 6th, 2016, 11:05 am

Dean Wormer wrote:Some of you are quick to base the future strictly on coaches salaries....Geno and Lowrey ,the poster boy of overpaid incompetence, are perfect examples of what that doesn't always fly.

True.

Also true: Both of the institutions who overpaid for that incompetence have been to the Sweet 16 in the last decade. Trying matters.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby sixth ace » September 6th, 2016, 12:43 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
sixth ace wrote:Then the thread is misleading as I thought WSU was contacting the MWC. I don't see Evansville going anywhere but to the top of the MVC!

2. What leads you to believe that a coach that has had 9 years and has failed to compete for the top spot in the Valley 1 time will suddenly lead Evansville to the top of the league?

1) I really don't care. Title of the thread says you are.

2)New assistants and better recruits.

ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » September 6th, 2016, 12:46 pm

sixth ace wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:

1) I really don't care. Title of the thread says you are.

2)New assistants and better recruits.

The title of the thread says there was contact made between WSU and the Mountain West. Which is true. Not sure how that equates to taking the 5:30 train.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby sixth ace » September 6th, 2016, 3:58 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
The title of the thread says there was contact made between WSU and the Mountain West. Which is true. Not sure how that equates to taking the 5:30 train.

So on May 30th,they're announcing the departure??!!! Why else would you contact them :Beer: To park your non-existent football program :dance: :dance:

ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby purple&orange » September 6th, 2016, 6:58 pm

Conference realignment is quite the dance. Timing is everything and since Houston beat Oklahoma this weekend, somehow that's proof they can compete in the Big XII in football. They found the right guy to lead their football program, they blew up, having a great year last year, beating FSU in a bowl game and now they are near the top of the list.

As far as Wichita State is concerned, obviously without football that may limit some opportunities but the iron is hot based on what the basketball program has done the last few seasons. In addition, they probably get some phone calls returned that others in the MVC wouldn't. Their on court success has warranted that. In addition if they have the good fortune of having some super wealthy boosters that allow them to do things other schools can't, well college athletics isn't equal. Duke, Kentucky, etc can spend a stupid amount of money on basketball. Good for them, yet each team puts five on the floor and no matter the resources available, coaches salaries, etc, the scoreboard reads the same everytime as the ball is tipped.

So Evansville might have to work a little harder or smarter to find ways to make their finances reach a bit farther. I don't have the answer to what Evansville should do next. Marty is a former player, does things right as far as the community, players getting out, etc.....things that a lot of programs in this league and around the country do. That doesn't hurt but in essence this is his 3rd rebuilding project since he's been here. The first he inherited, then the post Colt era, and now the post DJ and Mock era. There are a lot of unknowns and I think the way the next 2-3 years play out will ultimately determine his future, extend or find someone new. Part of me wonder what might have been had this conference realignment happened in the early 90s when Evansville was having their most sustained success at the D-I level......would Evansville been one of the chosen few and how that would impact the University to this day if so.

What does all that have to do with WSU? Not real sure but somehow this has turned into a WSU-UE pissing match. Here's how I feel about Wichita State. Wichita State has to do what's best for themselves, the same we do if we would get a better job offer, etc. WSU is the brand of The Valley at this point, it would suck to lose them and I certainly don't want Evansville to leave. The group of seniors that just left were fun to watch and root like hell for come March. If WSU finds a better fit in their mind and make that move, best of luck. Until then, keep doing what you're doing and finding your way into the field of 68 come March.

I was very surprised at the amount of Shocker fans who came to Evansville last season and at the last two years at Arch Madness I haven't ran into any fan from another fanbase that wasn't great to talk to and get to know more about that school, area, etc.

We all want the same thing......to making the Billy Packer's of the world cry sad tears because their Power 5 teams get beat out for an at-large by an MVC school, one they can't comprehend could somehow be better than their school or logo that sits just below the free throw line. Taking the limited opportunities given, catching lightning in a bottle on a Thursday or Friday in mid-March, making memories that last a lifetime on the biggest of stages.
purple&orange
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Wufan » September 6th, 2016, 8:43 pm

I could absolutely care less how much money any school spends on athletics. It just doesn't matter to me. What DOES matter is that all 10 teams in the Valley put forth the maximum effort to be competitive in basketball. It often times feels that some programs are lacking as evident by their unwillingness or inability to buy out bad coaches and the horrible non-con schedules that are put together.

For me, it's okay to be bad as long as their is forward momentum. So many schools (not necessarily fans) seem to be okay with three Thursday's in four years.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » September 7th, 2016, 8:39 am

Wufan wrote:I could absolutely care less how much money any school spends on athletics. It just doesn't matter to me. What DOES matter is that all 10 teams in the Valley put forth the maximum effort to be competitive in basketball. It often times feels that some programs are lacking as evident by their unwillingness or inability to buy out bad coaches and the horrible non-con schedules that are put together.

For me, it's okay to be bad as long as their is forward momentum. So many schools (not necessarily fans) seem to be okay with three Thursday's in four years.

I agree with you, except money matters once you find the right coach. The whole thing starts with the head coach being the right guy to build the program. Otherwise, you have poor coaches who create bad schedules with the intention of inflating their records to avoid getting fired. Not the best approach.

Bradley did things right by dropping Geno when they saw poor direction with their team/attendance...
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UEACES80 » September 7th, 2016, 10:06 am

Conference realignment is quite the dance. Timing is everything and since Houston beat Oklahoma this weekend, somehow that's proof they can compete in the Big XII in football. They found the right guy to lead their football program, they blew up, having a great year last year, beating FSU in a bowl game and now they are near the top of the list.

I live in Houston and they much like WSU have a Sugar Daddy in Tillman Fertitta. Mr Fertitta ponied up to make sure Tom Herman stayed at UH as football coach, Mr Fertitta also is heavily backing a much needed new basketball facility for the UH Cougars.

Sugar Daddy = a better chance at success
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball