MVC non conference '16-'17 schedules being released

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC non conference '16-'17 schedules being released

Postby shocktheheart » July 14th, 2016, 12:49 pm

shocktheheart wrote:What we know so far for WSU and really not a horrible game on this list.

Home:
South Carolina St (205)
Tulsa (70)
Oklahoma St at Intrust Bank Arena (180)
South Dakota St (39)
Long Beach St (84)
St. Louis (207)

Away:
Colorado St (171)
OU at OKC (6)

Neutral Battle 4 Atlantis
Three games against:
Michigan St (12)
Louisville (16)
Baylor (27)
LSU (95)
VCU (38)
St. John's (245)
Old Dominion (116)

WSU will face LSU in the first round of the Battle 4 Atlantis with a possible match up with Louisville in the second round.

Louisville-Old Dominion and Wichita State-LSU. The other will include Michigan State-St. John’s and Baylor-VCU.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BCPanther » July 14th, 2016, 1:30 pm

BCPanther wrote:UNI so far (3 left to announce/get)

Home-
George Mason (201)
South Dakota State (29)
North Dakota (218)

Road--
Xavier (6)
Wyoming (187)--Have no earthly idea how we got screwed so badly with the Challenge
North Carolina (5)

Neutral--
Iowa in Des Moines (28)

Puerto Rico Tipoff--
Xavier (6)
Oklahoma (7)
Arizona State (99)
Clemson (131)
Davidson (64)
Missouri (222)
Tulane (227)

Puerto Rico Tipoff Bracket has been released--

Xavier
Missouri

Clemson
Davidson

UNI
Arizona State

Oklahoma
Tulane

I think this sets up pretty well for UNI, Arizona State is very young. Get a W there and you get major RPI help with getting to play OU and then either Xavier (for a second time) or Davidson who will finish towards the top of the A10.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby isumvc1 » July 14th, 2016, 2:57 pm

Diamond Head Classic bracket released for Illinois State

Illinois State vs. Hawaii, then either Utah or San Diego State, then either Tulsa, San Francisco, Stephen F Austin, or Southern Miss
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » July 14th, 2016, 3:02 pm

isumvc1 wrote:Diamond Head Classic bracket released for Illinois State

Illinois State vs. Hawaii, then either Utah or San Diego State, then either Tulsa, San Francisco, Stephen F Austin, or Southern Miss

Ugh... Why do MVC teams always have to play Hawaii in this?
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby uniftw » July 15th, 2016, 6:55 am

BuBrave2006 wrote:
squirrel wrote:Having 2 good years in a 9-year tenure is not a solid program. Bradley hasn't been a "solid" program since they traded in a coach for a stock broker.

The team has been bad. The program is fine. Just because you have a few bad years doesn't mean your program is terrible all of a sudden. We still have some of the best resources in the conference and were still second in conference in attendance last year despite our performance.

How many schools in the valley would an average level coach choose to coach at over Bradley?

Looking at photos from last year I'd guess no team lied about attendance more than Bradley

Right now I'm going to bet if all jobs in the MVC opened up today they would be filled in this order

WSU
UNI
ISUr
MSU
SIU
BU
ISUB
DU
UE
LU-C

The only reason I think BU fills before ISUb is money. If that was "equal" then ISUB fills first.

I don't know what you mean "the team is bad but the program is fine". Bradley has 63 total wins the last 6 years. Bradley has ONE NCAA tournament trip since 1996 (yes, it was a S16 but that regular season ended with just 18 wins, and the only reason BU even got into the NCAAs was a run to the title game and the MVC being at it's highest peak ever and Bradley finished 5th in the conference that year). The most wins BU has had in a season since 1993 is 22. Only 4 times since the 95-96 NCAA appearance has BU gotten to at least 20 wins. In the 20 seasons since that 95-96 NCAA trip 10 of them have been sub .500 (and next year doesn't seem like a .500 or better year). In UNI's mere 36 years as a D1 program they have as many (8) NCAA tournament trips as Bradley does in 112 years of D1/highest level of college basketball.

Bradley, like Drake, has a good history from a long damn time ago that they still want to bang as being relevant and worth talking about. Bradley was real good between 1948 and 1968 (3 NCAA trips...though they made the "final four" with an amazing 9-20 record in 1955). After that they have been .500ish or worse every year with exceptions for 79, 86, 88, 96 and 06.

A few years ago everyone was given WSU fans s*** for bragging about how good they were in the 80s. When do we start pointing out how crazy it is to brag about the 40s, 50s and 60s? Outside of a real hot streak at the end of 05-06 Bradley basketball has been an after thought (largely) for about 2 decades.

Sure, resources and fans that want to support the team and all of that. There's literally zero to support that is going to happen from the last 2 to 3 decades
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Dean Wormer » July 15th, 2016, 12:50 pm

uniftw wrote:
BuBrave2006 wrote:
squirrel wrote:Having 2 good years in a 9-year tenure is not a solid program. Bradley hasn't been a "solid" program since they traded in a coach for a stock broker.

The team has been bad. The program is fine. Just because you have a few bad years doesn't mean your program is terrible all of a sudden. We still have some of the best resources in the conference and were still second in conference in attendance last year despite our performance.

How many schools in the valley would an average level coach choose to coach at over Bradley?

Looking at photos from last year I'd guess no team lied about attendance more than Bradley

Right now I'm going to bet if all jobs in the MVC opened up today they would be filled in this order

WSU
UNI
ISUr
MSU
SIU
BU
ISUB
DU
UE
LU-C

The only reason I think BU fills before ISUb is money. If that was "equal" then ISUB fills first.

I don't know what you mean "the team is bad but the program is fine". Bradley has 63 total wins the last 6 years. Bradley has ONE NCAA tournament trip since 1996 (yes, it was a S16 but that regular season ended with just 18 wins, and the only reason BU even got into the NCAAs was a run to the title game and the MVC being at it's highest peak ever and Bradley finished 5th in the conference that year). The most wins BU has had in a season since 1993 is 22. Only 4 times since the 95-96 NCAA appearance has BU gotten to at least 20 wins. In the 20 seasons since that 95-96 NCAA trip 10 of them have been sub .500 (and next year doesn't seem like a .500 or better year). In UNI's mere 36 years as a D1 program they have as many (8) NCAA tournament trips as Bradley does in 112 years of D1/highest level of college basketball.

Bradley, like Drake, has a good history from a long damn time ago that they still want to bang as being relevant and worth talking about. Bradley was real good between 1948 and 1968 (3 NCAA trips...though they made the "final four" with an amazing 9-20 record in 1955). After that they have been .500ish or worse every year with exceptions for 79, 86, 88, 96 and 06.

A few years ago everyone was given WSU fans s*** for bragging about how good they were in the 80s. When do we start pointing out how crazy it is to brag about the 40s, 50s and 60s? Outside of a real hot streak at the end of 05-06 Bradley basketball has been an after thought (largely) for about 2 decades.

Sure, resources and fans that want to support the team and all of that. There's literally zero to support that is going to happen from the last 2 to 3 decades

This is the kind of UNI silliness I was referring to in my last post on this. The only way this list can make any type of verifiable sense is the giant assumption that salaries are where they are today. Is UNI really going to pay the next coach what they are paying Jacobson? I seriously doubt that.

When you look at resources, and potential, I still maintain UNI would be much closer to the bottom than the top. UNI has some good recent success, and I won't even get into the debate of solid..they have been that. But despite the recent success, UNI has mediocre attendance, one of the worst arenas in the league, and the smallest market with the crappiest weather. Some people like long winters, most don't. From purely a national perspective, it is probably the least desirable spot in the conference to relocate to. From my perspective, Bradley has a higher ceiling potential than UNI. The name may not mean as much to people under 30, but the facilities, fan support and potential market interest is far better. Heck, the same can be said for Evansville. Now, having those advantages doesn't mean a thing if the AD and or Administration is weak or unwilling to capitalize on those advantages.

IMO, take your scenario, equalize the pay at all ten, which is fair, because I think anyone in the league can run with UNI in salary, if they chose to do so. WSU appears to be the only program currently that has resources out of reach of everyone else. Same salary, same support from AD, the current facilities and markets of each school, current fan support and resources, and the freedom to mine those as the coach sees fit, I think the list would look more like this.
1. WSU
2. Bradley
3. Evansville
4. ISU Red
5. SIU
6. MSU
7. ISU Blue
8. Loyola
9. UNI
10. Drake

In all honesty, 2-6 is pretty interchangeable. I gave the advantage to Bradley and Evansville due to both markets, facilities, previous fan support, and the private factor that they wouldn't be as tied to whims of a state budget. For that matter, if Loyola ever figured out a way to get attention in Chicago, they could easily vault to the number 2 spot.

For the most part, this is all just silly off season banter. If there is a point to this, is that outside of WSU, there isn't anyone in this league that should feel superior to the other 8.
Dean Wormer
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby AndShock » July 15th, 2016, 10:10 pm

Bradley hires MAC and Horizon Coach of the Year winners. To put it simply, other Valley programs do not.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » July 18th, 2016, 8:02 am

Dean Wormer wrote:This is the kind of UNI silliness I was referring to in my last post on this. The only way this list can make any type of verifiable sense is the giant assumption that salaries are where they are today. Is UNI really going to pay the next coach what they are paying Jacobson? I seriously doubt that.
Without hesitation.

When you look at resources, and potential, I still maintain UNI would be much closer to the bottom than the top. UNI has some good recent success, and I won't even get into the debate of solid..they have been that. But despite the recent success, UNI has mediocre attendance, one of the worst arenas in the league, and the smallest market with the crappiest weather. Some people like long winters, most don't. From purely a national perspective, it is probably the least desirable spot in the conference to relocate to. From my perspective, Bradley has a higher ceiling potential than UNI. The name may not mean as much to people under 30, but the facilities, fan support and potential market interest is far better. Heck, the same can be said for Evansville. Now, having those advantages doesn't mean a thing if the AD and or Administration is weak or unwilling to capitalize on those advantages.
What I'm hearing is "Blah blah blah....UNI is kicking our asses 8 ways to Sunday even though we claim to have 10 times the money and support all because we chose not to dedicate to basketball. Meanwhile, UNI has completely restructured the entire athletic department the last decade to ensure basketball never drops back. To ensure that the budget and needs for basketball are always met, no matter what they are. Because of that I'm going to resort to bashing the weather...even though that's never a slam I'd have used for Creighton, or Drake, or Normal, or Peoria. Turns out the weather isn't that different.

Avg Jan temp in
Cedar Falls? 30*/10* with .79 inches of precipitation with 30 inches of snow per year
Normal? 32*/15* with 2.13 inches of precipitation with 25 inches of snow per year
Peoria? 32*/17* with 1.77 inches of precipitation with 20 inches of snow per year
Des Moines? 31*/14* 1.02 inches of precipitation with 35 inches of snow per year
Omaha 32*/12* with .79 inches of precipitation with 27 inches of snow per year
Hell, even Carbondale and Terra Haute see about a foot of snow per year on average.

Hmm...seems pretty standard across the upper region of the MVC footprint, doesn't it?

Any other pathetic attempt to downplay UNI's dominance of everyone sans WSU when it comes to success over the last 15 or so years?

IMO, take your scenario, equalize the pay at all ten, which is fair, because I think anyone in the league can run with UNI in salary, if they chose to do so. WSU appears to be the only program currently that has resources out of reach of everyone else. Same salary, same support from AD, the current facilities and markets of each school, current fan support and resources, and the freedom to mine those as the coach sees fit, I think the list would look more like this.
1. WSU
2. Bradley
3. Evansville
4. ISU Red
5. SIU
6. MSU
7. ISU Blue
8. Loyola
9. UNI
10. Drake

If every school can run with UNI on salary, why is no one doing it? You know, you'd attract more coaches if you'd give them a million per year rather than grabbing a guy from the MAC or Horizon league. You'd also be able to keep them should they find success. Evansville being the third job filled, even with equal pay, is a riot. Loyola and ISUb being a head of UNI? You realize ISUb is crowd sourcing uniforms right? Meanwhile UNI is hooked into Nike's "elite" program and gets everything they want for free for all sports at this point.

You bang on the McLeod Center yet Loyola plays in a high school gym.
The Hulman Center is a dump - though I suppose there is plans for the city to eventually renovate it, though a June article from ENR Midwest sounds like construction is still 2 years away if things go well
Evansville and Bradley don't own their arenas.

The thing is, everything can be equal according to you. Every single school in the MVC can pay their coach what UNI is paying Jake. So why aren't they? Imagine a MVC where the average salary is pushing a million and every school is actually trying. You just admitted UNI and WSU are the only schools trying. You are getting embarassed by a tiny public school with funding issues in podunk Iowa that lives under 90 feet of snow 360 days per year...the other 5 days are tornado filled.

That says a hell of a lot more about how pathetic Bradley is than anything UNI related.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » July 18th, 2016, 9:24 am

Dean Wormer wrote:
This is the kind of UNI silliness I was referring to in my last post on this. The only way this list can make any type of verifiable sense is the giant assumption that salaries are where they are today. Is UNI really going to pay the next coach what they are paying Jacobson? I seriously doubt that.

1. WSU
2. Bradley
3. Evansville
4. ISU Red
5. SIU
6. MSU
7. ISU Blue
8. Loyola
9. UNI
10. Drake

In all honesty, 2-6 is pretty interchangeable. I gave the advantage to Bradley and Evansville due to both markets, facilities, previous fan support, and the private factor that they wouldn't be as tied to whims of a state budget. For that matter, if Loyola ever figured out a way to get attention in Chicago, they could easily vault to the number 2 spot.

For the most part, this is all just silly off season banter. If there is a point to this, is that outside of WSU, there isn't anyone in this league that should feel superior to the other 8.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the Monday morning laugh.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rollbird5 » August 1st, 2016, 9:49 pm

Redbirds non-con schedule

Nov 6 vs Quincy
Nov 11 at Murray State,
Nov 16 IPFW
Nov 21 At TCU,