Shockers in Canada

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Shockers in Canada

Postby BirdsEyeView » August 12th, 2016, 8:53 am

Wufan wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:Anybody who tries to defend HCGM's actions here is dead wrong. Don't let your emotional attachment to the guy for what he has done for the Shocker program affect you by making excuses for his actions that night.

A great coach he is.
A great example for how to act on the sidelines he is not (this being the culmination).

I think the last statement should read; "A great example for how to act on the sidelines THIS was not."

That's debatable. Not with me, but with somebody who cares to argue about his regular demeanor on the sidelines. This was the culmination of his child-like attitude when things don't go his way.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cdizzle » August 12th, 2016, 10:10 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Wufan wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:Anybody who tries to defend HCGM's actions here is dead wrong. Don't let your emotional attachment to the guy for what he has done for the Shocker program affect you by making excuses for his actions that night.

A great coach he is.
A great example for how to act on the sidelines he is not (this being the culmination).

I think the last statement should read; "A great example for how to act on the sidelines THIS was not."

That's debatable. Not with me, but with somebody who cares to argue about his regular demeanor on the sidelines. This was the culmination of his child-like attitude when things don't go his way.

Haters gonna hate.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » August 12th, 2016, 11:37 am

I'm going to try to be balanced in my comments. Some of what I say will be a little critical but I'm going to also bring up some of the positives that others don't see.

-glm is right. To some degree, the same things (grit, passion, demand for excellence, demand for accountability, worries more about the process/product than being politically correct and what people think of him, and competitiveness) that make Marshall a great coach, also can be negatives in how he deals with people in competitive situations.

-People on here rarely follow Coach on a daily basis so they hear about (and see) the negative dealings with Coach.

-People who know him on a regular basis all report that they like him (this includes national and local reporters, fans, etc. He takes care of all Shocker fans he comes in contact with (no one is below him). He visits with fans when they see him out in public when he could take offense. I've never heard of him avoiding anyone when out to dinner, etc. He is probably the biggest celebrity in Wichita, asked to do many things by various groups. Finally, many times he has invited fans into the locker room to celebrate with the team is one example, but there are many more.

-All reports are that he has great kids and they are liked by all.

-Coach doesn't play games. He is passionate about what he does but he is willing to acknowledge when he steps over the line and has taken consequences for his actions before.

-Academics are important to him. Players go to class, attend study halls, and graduate (last I heard his graduation rate was 100%). If they don't do these things, they have consequences.

-I knock on wood, but our teams are disciplined off of the court too. We've had very few problems, although this could happen to anyone on occasion. Players give back to the community by going to schools to talk, and doing other community activities. Ron Baker had several basketball clinics throughout Central Kansas this summer. Fred and some other graduates/current players also helped. One of the kids at the clinic was a special needs kid and they spent extra time with him including extra autographs/pictures. Ron just wrote a childrens book I think that title was "You are too Big to Dream Small" and held signing days at various locations for the book.

-Coach is not a wall flower, and I have a feeling that he won't take crap (disrespect a better word) from most people. For example, I have a feeling that if I spoke to him after a loss, and asked (criticized) him about some aspect of the game, he would probably come back at me with his own critical words. Another good example is that I've heard from fans who have played golf with him in his fund raising tournament, and they raved about how much fun he is.

Whatever is said that is bad (he earned criticism this past week) is offset in my opinion by the good that he creates in our community. From all accounts, his players love and respect him. He is the best coach that WSU has ever had imo and this includes HOF coach Ralph Miller who was a "tough guy" SOB sometimes, himself. I probably have left some good and bad things out, but the other part of Coach that I haven't mentioned yet is that he WINS. But you already knew that.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby havoc » August 12th, 2016, 1:00 pm

mvcfan wrote:-Academics are important to him. Players go to class, attend study halls, and graduate (last I heard his graduation rate was 100%). If they don't do these things, they have consequences.

WSU men's basketball current multiyear APR score is 957, better than only Drake (955) and Illinois State (945). it ranks in the 30-40th percentile for men's basketball and is the lowest of all sports at WSU. Not terrible numbers, but certainly not great.
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » August 12th, 2016, 1:05 pm

Out of the 350 D1 universities the average 4 year APR is 964

Most recent RPI scores

UNI 995
SIU 986
BU
UE 976
LUC 973
MSU 969
ISUB 966
NTL AVG 964
WSU 957
D+ 955
ISUR 945

One could argue APR isn't a perfect representation of grades, I suppose.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby LanceShock » August 12th, 2016, 1:25 pm

Since APR was brought up, anyone know how athletes who transfer out of a program impact that number? Just curious if that could be part of what is dragging WSU down.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » August 12th, 2016, 1:45 pm

LanceShock wrote:Since APR was brought up, anyone know how athletes who transfer out of a program impact that number? Just curious if that could be part of what is dragging WSU down.

As long as they leave in good academic standing it doesn't really have an impact.

A player earns 2 points per semester. If a player transfers in:
"real good" academic standing (GPA 2.6 or higher) no points are taken
"good" academic standing - eligible but not above 2.6 - 1 point is taken
Poor standing both points are taken.

I don't know how many transfer's WSU has lost during that 4 year period, or what their GPAs were.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » August 13th, 2016, 10:28 am

Transfers hurt - I just looked at the ncaa example. If a transfer leaves academically eligible u only get 1 of 2'points. If they leave in ineligible then u get 0 of 2 point
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » August 13th, 2016, 1:22 pm

uniftw wrote:
LanceShock wrote:Since APR was brought up, anyone know how athletes who transfer out of a program impact that number? Just curious if that could be part of what is dragging WSU down.

As long as they leave in good academic standing it doesn't really have an impact.

A player earns 2 points per semester. If a player transfers in:
"real good" academic standing (GPA 2.6 or higher) no points are taken
"good" academic standing - eligible but not above 2.6 - 1 point is taken
Poor standing both points are taken.

I don't know how many transfer's WSU has lost during that 4 year period, or what their GPAs were.

I'm interested to learn a little more about this. All players that have stayed at WSU for at least two active seasons have graduated. Players do transfer out regularly as freshman and red shirt freshman. I've not heard of academic issues with any of them, and no player has been academically ineligible. Do transfers in count? We have a lot of those too.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Drakey » August 14th, 2016, 5:27 pm

I'm sure that transfers must have a lot to do with this. i'm pretty sure Drake is at or near the top as far as GPA goes. Drake has had tons of players leave over the past 5 years though. I think they were all good students. how many years back does this go.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball