Shockers in Canada

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Shockers in Canada

Postby UEACES80 » August 10th, 2016, 4:11 pm

Continue to talk among yourself WSU fans and attempt to justify the behavior. I for one (and I know that there are others as well) have found this to be quite humorous as long as no WSU players were truly injured.

Marshall had a major meltdown - he should have simply called time out and walked over and told the other Coach that he is pulling his team from this Exhibition and walked off (it wasn't going to hurt the precious RPI). To me it was much like when Knight had his epic meltdown that led him to throw a chair across the court this will always be part of his legacy now. It doesn't mean he isn't a great coach / recruiter etc it is simply another side of him that isn't all that pretty.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby glm38 » August 10th, 2016, 5:02 pm

To me this just further illustrates that with Marshall you take the bad with the good. On the plus side he's just a great coach and recruiter. One of the best in the country. By all accounts he also seems to be a very fine husband, father, and role model for his players.

On the flip side he's a very emotional and driven individual. It's that very intensity that makes him a great coach but also gets him in trouble. This isn't the first time he's had an outburst like this but it may be the worst one.

If I were a die hard WSU fan I would be embarrassed by this latest behavior but I would still be damned glad to have him as my coach.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » August 10th, 2016, 6:25 pm

I'm not a WSU fan who thinks Marshall can do no wrong. I find several things he has done that were not in his, or WSU's best interests. That doesn't mean I don't support him as WSU's coach. It just means that I'm able to see problems, recognize them, and understand that's part of the package that's delivering a lot of good things in Wichita.

Marshall already had one T. He got the second one for kicking a video screen at the scorer's table. I really struggle to understand how kicking a piece of sensitive equipment in someone else's gym is "standing up for his players".

Standing up for the players is calling a timeout and then reading an official the riot act and getting T'd up that way. Kicking someone else's gear looks more like a poor reaction to anger. If you come into my house and kick my TV, you are getting ejected from my house. If you want to fight me or argue about it, I'm calling the cops.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » August 10th, 2016, 8:51 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:

I actually watched the second half and talked to two people at the game. One neutral and one associated with McGill. The neutral observer said the officiating wasn't good but Gregg totally embarrassed himself and everyone in the arena was shocked. The McGill person said he had never seen anything like it at any level.

You seem obsessed with this topic.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » August 11th, 2016, 7:09 am

Don't worry guys....his wife took this as a perfect opportunity to remind everyone else just how much money Gregg has made. She has yet to pass that opportunity up...ever

What a strange couple they are to watch.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby musiccitybulldog » August 11th, 2016, 7:52 am

Wichita State apology to McGill. Sounds like the activity continued after the ejection.

http://www.kwch.com/content/sports/Wichita-State-issues-an-apology-to-McGill-Marshalls-tirade-spills-off-the-court-389763061.html
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » August 11th, 2016, 8:35 am

Ricardo del Rio wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

I actually watched the second half and talked to two people at the game. One neutral and one associated with McGill. The neutral observer said the officiating wasn't good but Gregg totally embarrassed himself and everyone in the arena was shocked. The McGill person said he had never seen anything like it at any level.

You seem obsessed with this topic.

Nope. I just happened to know people who were at the game. I realize having opinions from the "other side" of the story could be frowned up however :)
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » August 11th, 2016, 8:37 am

If I had been officiating this contest, the game would have been over. I applaud the officials for showing incredible restraint and poise. They are not paid well enough to have to be subjected to this kind of outburst. McGill didn't deserve this either.

This story is still filling my newsfeed and has now been picked up by non-sports national news outlets. It's embarrassing. He's a great coach, he's built something truly amazing at WSU, but this kind of stuff isn't good for the sport.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Snaggletooth » August 11th, 2016, 8:56 am

unipanther99 wrote:If I had been officiating this contest, the game would have been over. I applaud the officials for showing incredible restraint and poise.

Lol drama queen. YouTube is full of epic coaching meltdown that blow away what what Marshall did. In fact one ESPN story was this was "meh" - and then when on to show their top 5 meltdown of blue blood coaches.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » August 11th, 2016, 9:15 am

glm38 wrote:To me this just further illustrates that with Marshall you take the bad with the good. On the plus side he's just a great coach and recruiter. One of the best in the country. By all accounts he also seems to be a very fine husband, father, and role model for his players.

On the flip side he's a very emotional and driven individual. It's that very intensity that makes him a great coach but also gets him in trouble. This isn't the first time he's had an outburst like this but it may be the worst one.

If I were a die hard WSU fan I would be embarrassed by this latest behavior but I would still be damned glad to have him as my coach.

I think this pretty much nails it. Solid take, as usual, glm.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball