Evansville bids for "First Four"

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Evansville bids for "First Four"

Postby klinky » September 9th, 2016, 4:58 pm

ACECARD wrote:
Dean Wormer wrote:
UEACES80 wrote:Would to see the City of Evansville get it but several things work against them.

1) Stadium size - seats 10K vs Dayton 13K

2) Not the easiest place to get to unless you charter a flight and some of the First Four Teams might not want to spend the funds for a charter thus would be looking at flying into StL, Louisville or Nashville and busing into Evansville.

Still like the effort in trying - I do think they will have an excellent shot at the D2 though due to past history hosting the event.

I don't think flying into Evansville would really be an issue. It's not as though Dayton is a major hub. Most teams have to charter with the relatively short notice anyhow.

The stadium size could be an issue though. Isn't one end of the Ford Center expandable?

I thought that at one time in the beginning of the Ford Center, something was said to the effect that they could expand to 11,000 for basketball. I don't know how, or if it's really possible. Even if true, it wouldn't get to Dayton's level. It's a real long shot, and I don't see it happening. It's all about money these days.

Buried in my earlier post - Having a capacity of 11,000 was supposedly a requirement for the Pacers to play their NBA exhibition game here next month:

"The difference in capacity may be less if the Ford Center can be configured to seat 11,000. When it was announced that Evansville would host a NBA exhibition game next month between the Pacers and Bucks; it was mentioned that the Pacers required any arena they use outside of Indianapolis to have a capacity of 11,000 or more. I'm not sure how this is accomplished but apparently it can be done - i.e. possible alternate floor configuration?

http://www.courierpress.com/story/sport ... /88957034/"
Wishing I was back home again.
klinky
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Re: Evansville bids for "First Four"

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball