Official 2016-17 MVCfans.com Prediction - 9th Place

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will finish in 9th place during the 2016-17 MVC men's basketball season?

Poll ended at September 12th, 2016, 7:35 pm

Bradley
35%
Evansville
45%
Illinois State
3%
Indiana State
2%
Loyola
6%
Missouri State
3%
Northern Iowa
No votes
Southern Illinois
2%
Wichita State
3%

Total votes : 62

Postby MVCfans » September 7th, 2016, 7:35 pm

Each week we will open a poll for users to predict the end of season finish for the MVC 2016-17 basketball season. We will work in reverse order, concluding with the predicted MVC champion chosen by our users between the last two teams remaining in week 9.

Drake was recently selected as the likely 10th place finisher (results: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4504 )

Week 2 - Who will finish in 9th place during the 2016-17 MVC mens basketball season?
-You are choosing the team that you believe will finish in 9th place for this regular season. Poll open until Monday, September 12.

Official MVCfans.com - Predictions:
10th Place - Drake
9th Place - .....
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Official 2016-17 MVCfans.com Prediction - 9th Place

Postby ACECARD » September 8th, 2016, 11:49 am

Well, I can see why those who know little about the Aces, would vote them ninth. I follow them closer than other non Aces fans, and I don't know that much about them either. From what I have heard, and read, I think that the Aces do have some talent. Based on what I saw last year, I believe that Jaylon Brown was one of the three best point guards in the Valley. There is some thought that he might be moved to shooting guard this year, as a local boy from Evansville Reitz, is capable of playing point, and is a force in disrupting an opponents offense. I am always very skeptical of freshmen point guards though. Duane Gibson can also play point, and has been around for five years after missing last season with a bad knee. Ryan Taylor, a transfer from Ohio U, will be the 3 player, and has the tools to remind us of DJ Balentine, but that remains to be seen. Solomon Hainna, a 6'6" 25 year old JC transfer is supposed to be a very good rebounder for his size, and knows where the basket is also. He probably will be the 4, with Willie Wiley as a backup. Wiley had some good moments last year, but played so little it was hard to get an opinion of him. 7'1" Sergei Vucetic, and 6'8" David Howard will get most of the 5 action. Vucetic saw little action last year playing behind Giddy, but I thought he should have seen more action, and I understand he spent all summer gaining weight, and improving his moves around the basket. He also can hold his own on the defensive end of the court. Howard showed some good moves last year, but didn't play as consistently as I would have liked.

If these guys can fit into Marty's system, they might be better than you think. If not, they could give Drake some competition for last. My gut tells me they will be a Thursday team, my heart hopes for better than that. Without seeing the new guys actually play the game, it is a bit hard to say how they will do.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » September 8th, 2016, 12:38 pm

ACECARD wrote:Well, I can see why those who know little about the Aces, would vote them ninth.

Those of us who know more about the Aces, voted them 10th.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » September 8th, 2016, 5:23 pm

ACECARD wrote:Well, I can see why those who know little about the Aces, would vote them ninth. I follow them closer than other non Aces fans, and I don't know that much about them either. From what I have heard, and read, I think that the Aces do have some talent. Based on what I saw last year, I believe that Jaylon Brown was one of the three best point guards in the Valley. There is some thought that he might be moved to shooting guard this year, as a local boy from Evansville Reitz, is capable of playing point, and is a force in disrupting an opponents offense. I am always very skeptical of freshmen point guards though. Duane Gibson can also play point, and has been around for five years after missing last season with a bad knee. Ryan Taylor, a transfer from Ohio U, will be the 3 player, and has the tools to remind us of DJ Balentine, but that remains to be seen. Solomon Hainna, a 6'6" 25 year old JC transfer is supposed to be a very good rebounder for his size, and knows where the basket is also. He probably will be the 4, with Willie Wiley as a backup. Wiley had some good moments last year, but played so little it was hard to get an opinion of him. 7'1" Sergei Vucetic, and 6'8" David Howard will get most of the 5 action. Vucetic saw little action last year playing behind Giddy, but I thought he should have seen more action, and I understand he spent all summer gaining weight, and improving his moves around the basket. He also can hold his own on the defensive end of the court. Howard showed some good moves last year, but didn't play as consistently as I would have liked.

If these guys can fit into Marty's system, they might be better than you think. If not, they could give Drake some competition for last. My gut tells me they will be a Thursday team, my heart hopes for better than that. Without seeing the new guys actually play the game, it is a bit hard to say how they will do.

After that run down I should rethink my vote for Bradley in this spot. I just keep thinking that surely they can't fall THAT far, but my goodness! The Aces have Jaylen Brown, two borderline back-ups (Gibson and Wiley), a transfer from Ohio that averaged 8 ppg in 30 minutes, an old undersized JC that averaged 7 and 5, a local freshman, and two guys where somebody has to play center.

Okay Bradley fans, what's your answer?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace75 » September 8th, 2016, 7:49 pm

Call me crazy but this team can be just as good as last year. This team will be very athletic and expect Tralore to get a lot of minutes in the middle. It's up to Marty how he plays them. If he plays the same motion offense it will not work with this team. This team needs to play uptempo. We will be fine.
Ace75
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby ACECARD » September 8th, 2016, 8:32 pm

Ace75 wrote:Call me crazy but this team can be just as good as last year. This team will be very athletic and expect Tralore to get a lot of minutes in the middle. It's up to Marty how he plays them. If he plays the same motion offense it will not work with this team. This team needs to play uptempo. We will be fine.

Yes 75, I did overlook Dalen Traore, a 6'9" 230 lb JR JC transfer from the Ivory Coast. He will see plenty of action at the 5, and possibly could be the best of the bunch. I won't call you crazy because I don't know you, but in my wildest dreams I don't see the Aces being as good as last year. Don't expect the same respect from three or four WSU posters to this forum. Most of them are the poorest winners i have ever seen.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ace75 » September 8th, 2016, 9:33 pm

ACECARD wrote:
Ace75 wrote:Call me crazy but this team can be just as good as last year. This team will be very athletic and expect Tralore to get a lot of minutes in the middle. It's up to Marty how he plays them. If he plays the same motion offense it will not work with this team. This team needs to play uptempo. We will be fine.

Yes 75, I did overlook Dalen Traore, a 6'9" 230 lb JR JC transfer from the Ivory Coast. He will see plenty of action at the 5, and possibly could be the best of the bunch. I won't call you crazy because I don't know you, but in my wildest dreams I don't see the Aces being as good as last year. Don't expect the same respect from three or four WSU posters to this forum. Most of them are the poorest winners i have ever seen.

I think it all boils down to how Marty plays this bunch. It will be interesting to see how they gel together hopefully it doesn't take half the season. We defenitly have the players to be the most athletic team we have seen the last 16 years for sure.
Ace75
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Cdizzle » September 9th, 2016, 8:30 am

Mock was an elite player at a position where the league is very thin, year after year. He was a matchup problem for the top teams in the league, and pretty well guaranteed wins against the dregs. Curious to see how things go without him.

DJ was just another shot-taker in Marty's system. Marty has shown the ability to refill that position.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » September 9th, 2016, 9:19 am

Aces are a possibility here but for some reason I find myself picking Loyola.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ACECARD » September 9th, 2016, 9:35 am

Red wrote:Aces are a possibility here but for some reason I find myself picking Loyola.

I voted for Bradley, just because I think the Aces will finish 8th. Just my opinion.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball